Tim Cook says future iOS updates will give users the choice to disable throttling feature

Status
Not open for further replies.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
It's quite absurd at the lengths many will go to defend Apple on this issue. I own an iPhone X right now and I refuse to defend Apple on this. Many people were screwed out of millions of dollars (collectively) because none of them were told that all they needed to do was replace the battery in their phone. They were told that the phone itself was the problem and they needed to get a new phone to get a fully functioning device again.

Well said sir! This shady sales tactic by apple is why my X is my last apple phone I will buy. Sadly I’m forced to maintain an iPad due to ForeFlight not being available for any other OS.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
It's quite absurd at the lengths many will go to defend Apple on this issue. I own an iPhone X right now and I refuse to defend Apple on this. Many people were screwed out of millions of dollars (collectively) because none of them were told that all they needed to do was replace the battery in their phone. They were told that the phone itself was the problem and they needed to get a new phone to get a fully functioning device again.

Defending Apple? No no no!

Challenging the claim of being “forced to upgrade”? Definitely.

In an earlier post, Quis brought up the definition of forced. Next to the number 4, before it was edited, were the words, “required by circumstances; emergency”. The semicolon in this regard was used to emphasize a relation. In other words, the “circumstances” were in relation to an “emergency.” No one is going to convince me that choosing a newer device, even if it’s a logical choice, is an emergency, and since it’s not an emergency, the choice is not forced. Coerced? Sure!

Last edited:

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
If one feels they were "Forced" to buy a new iPhone (...and as opposed to some other less expensive brand) what were the consequences had you said, "Thank you for your recommendation, but no thank you" left and kept using the iPhone or purchased some other brand? We're they going to steal your money? Not let you leave the store? Blacklist your Apple ID?

That's where I'm caught up. I don't see how anyone "had" to buy a new iPhone. How anyone was "Forced" to. It still looks to me like some CHOSE to. Perhaps that choice was based on the recommendation of Corporation's employees (whose job it is to help Corporation make money).

Still, no one said "You have to get a new phone and the only phone you can get is our iPhone. If you don't get our phone you won't be able to communicate and awful things will happen to you."

In MY mind, had THAT been said one would have been "Forced". It may sound like I'm being silly, that is not my intent. All I can say at this juncture is that it takes some less to feel "Forced" into doing something than others.

If I tell my son to go to bed or he'll be tired that is NOT the same as forcing him to go to bed.

Last edited:

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Defending Apple? No no no!

Challenging the claim of being “forced to upgrade”? Definitely.

In an earlier post, Quis brought up the definition of forced. Next to the number 4, before it was edited, were the words, “required by circumstances; emergency”. The semicolon in this regard was used to emphasize a relation. In other words, the “circumstances” was in relation to an “emergency.” No one is going to convince me that choosing a newer device, even if it’s a logical choice, is an emergency, and since it’s not an emergency, the choice is not forced. Coerced? Sure!

I didn’t even think of it in that sense and it brings our argument about “forced” even further.

Of course the guy in this thread who claims he was held at gunpoint to upgrade to a new phone at the Apple store is being facetious, but what worries me is that there are millions of people with that “blame it on others” mentality that exist. They’ll make up anything before they blame themselves.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I didn’t even think of it in that sense and it brings our argument about “forced” even further.

Of course the guy in this thread who claims he was held at gunpoint to upgrade to a new phone at the Apple store is being facetious, but what worries me is that there are millions of people with that “blame it on others” mentality that exist. They’ll make up anything before they blame themselves.

‘Nuf said...

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
The technical definition of salesmanship is: “The art and science of human persuasion”. The first principal of salesmanship is: “The customer is king”. The second principal of salesmanship is: “You can’t make anyone buy anything they don’t want”.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Going back to the original question....I won’t even have my device long enough to care about switching to performance or not. Having options is definitely good, so I like this solution. With that being said, I honestly don’t think people will read this new information nor will most even know what it means to have the choice. A lot of people I talk to don’t even upgrade their devices for fear they’ll mess something up. Apple may have never said they were slowing the processor, but they did say the battery will degrade & it will cause performance issues after so many full charges.....again most people I speak to have no idea that this info was in their user manual. And they don’t know because they don’t want to take responsibility and actually read the information they’re given. Call me anal, but as a consumer I read everything. Being informed and asking questions when issues arise are the best ways to protect yourself. Otherwise you’ll be “forced” to do something you, an adult, don’t want to do lol

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
How about an option for uploading photos or downloading large app updates via LTE if we have an unlimited plan?

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
How about an option for uploading photos or downloading large app updates via LTE if we have an unlimited plan?

If you mean syncing over cellular data for iCloud Photo Library, then this is already possible.

4b6e1c86d650418ae69d0685165db36c.jpg

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
If you mean syncing over cellular data for iCloud Photo Library, then this is already possible.

//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180120/4b6e1c86d650418ae69d0685165db36c.jpg

Learned this the hard way a few weeks ago. Took a 13 minute 4K video with an X and hadn't charged my iPhone 7 (second line) in a few days. I have decent speeds in my office and when I plugged it in it must have started the upload of that video. I noticed my office television lagging in streaming PS Vue. I restarted my router not having realized what was going on and my iPhone 7 just kept uploading on LTE. Within a half hour I was down about 4 gigs.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
The second principal of salesmanship is: “You can’t make anyone buy anything they don’t want”.

You apparently have never been in sales because if you were you’d know that’s not true. What apple did was force consumers into a new phone by leading them to believe their old phone was the problem, not the battery.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
Bottom line. Apple made a change in iOS to slow the CPU’s in aging batteries so the phones didn’t die. I believe this because it’s basic business economics, phones dying before they should is bad for business.

That’s not the point at all.

True, they didn’t tell us about it, and true they should have.

But they didn’t so that’s the problem! At best they used shady sales techniques to sell phones and at worse they forced consumers into a new phone like in my case where I was told I needed a new phone.

Fact, it probably wasn’t told even to Apple Store employees so that they wouldn’t technically be lying when the only option appeared to be needing a new phone.

I know it wasn’t disclosed to frontline at&t employees but I have no idea about its disclosure among tech support or upper management. A friend of mine who works for Verizon Wireless wasn’t aware of it until it hit the news. However, I am sure apple disclosed it among their employees.

I should note that hooking my phone up to at&t’s SmartChk machine didn’t show anything but that’s to be expected. SmartChk is borderline useless and I’ve never had it show an issue with any phone I’ve ever tested.

This is where that whole being forced to upgrade aspect comes in to play.

Exactly! By apple not disclosing the throttling to me and after being told by an apple employee that I needed a new phone apple forced me to purchase a new phone. I was never given an option to replace the battery and there was no problem with my battery life before or after I updated iOS. The problem after I updated was the phone slowed down to a crawl and even factory resetting didn’t help. Restarting the phone throughout the day didn’t help either. I hope apple gets their *** handed to them in a lawsuit and I hope the courts make an example.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
But they didn’t so that’s the problem! At best they used shady sales techniques to sell phones and at worse they forced consumers into a new phone like in my case where I was told I needed a new phone.

I know it wasn’t disclosed to frontline at&t employees but I have no idea about its disclosure among tech support or upper management. A friend of mine who works for Verizon Wireless wasn’t aware of it until it hit the news. However, I am sure apple disclosed it among their employees.

This was disclosed on Apple’s own website:

“iOS 10.2.1 includes bug fixes and improves the security of your iPhone or iPad.
It also improves power management during peak workloads to avoid unexpected shutdowns on iPhone.”

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1893?locale=en_US

And here:

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/02/23/apple-unexpected-iphone-6-shutdowns-solved/

Last edited:

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
This was disclosed on Apple’s own website:

“iOS 10.2.1 includes bug fixes and improves the security of your iPhone or iPad.
It also improves power management during peak workloads to avoid unexpected shutdowns on iPhone.”

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1893?locale=en_US

And here:

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/02/23/apple-unexpected-iphone-6-shutdowns-solved/

If you call that “disclosure” then you’re a blind fanboi. I’ve spoken with numerous technicians and none of them take that to mean apple will throttle the processor. Also it wasn’t just during “peak workloads” like they claimed. It was a constant thing on my phone. Nowhere on either of those sites does it mention throttling the processor. Saying that it “improves power management” can mean a lot of things. Show me where apple disclosed the throttling of processors like I said they didn’t disclose.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Bottom line. Apple made a change in iOS to slow the CPU’s in aging batteries so the phones didn’t die. I believe this because it’s basic business economics, phones dying before they should is bad for business. True, they didn’t tell us about it, and true they should have. Fact, it probably wasn’t told even to Apple Store employees so that they wouldn’t technically be lying when the only option appeared to be needing a new phone. This is where that whole being forced to upgrade aspect comes in to play. And also fact, Apple will be giving us the ability to turn off that optimization and give us more battery health information directly in iOS. Apple made a business play that affected a lot of people, people were upset, Apple apologized multiple times and gave us things we’ve wanted and needed for years on iOS. Regardless of where you stand on the matter, more good than bad came of it.

This. Best post in the entire thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR