Whose responsibility is it to monitor a child’s use of an iPhone - Parents or Apple?

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Parents responsibility. I'm so thankful that I've never had a big ego which has resulted in zero children for me. I'd hate to raise a little booger-eater at this point in time with all this tech and social media.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Parents responsibility. I'm so thankful that I've never had a big ego which has resulted in zero children for me. I'd hate to raise a little booger-eater at this point in time with all this tech and social media.

What does a big ego have to do with having children?

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Plenty of people have children because they want their "legacy" to continue. I think people who have children for that reason or one of the reasons have a big ego.

I’d say that’s an extremely small minority of people. Having children is one of the greatest, most rewarding things a person—man or woman—can experience.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
THIS X 1,000,000

As parents we have a responsibility here. The minute either of my boys refuse to hand over their device or attempt to lock me out of it it’s gone. Restrictions are helpful but only go so far.

Kids who are addicted to their smart phones are 100% victims of parenting. I was always so busy with sports, fishing, hunting, reading etc I only had time to play video games or be on my phone (born in the late 80’s grew up in 90- early 2000) during the summer. If you don’t want your kids to be on the phone spend some dang time with them. Encourage them to broaden their horizons with a book or a sport. To this day I’m an avid book reader and outdoorsman. This is all due to habits that were set when I was young.

I agree with this 100% Electronics aren’t babysitters & should never be used as such!!

Agreed and I’m dying at “little booger-eater”

reeneebob

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
I’d say that’s an extremely small minority of people. Having children is one of the greatest, most rewarding things a person—man or woman—can experience.

I’ve been informed by people asking how many kids my husband and I have, when I say we don’t have any, that we are selfish.

No. I’m infertile.

There’s absolutely some haughty superiority and ego for a LOT of people where popping out kids is concerned. I hear this at least a couple of times a month. I’ve started informing these people that I’m unable to have kids but thanks for reopening that old wound, to try to teach them a lesson in how to not be an asshat.

It may be the most rewarding thing but it doesn’t make one better than another, and in my experience there’s a lot of people out there who think it does make them better, and they probably don’t even realize it.

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I’ve been informed by people asking how many kids my husband and I have, when I say we don’t have any, that we are selfish.

No. I’m infertile.

There’s absolutely some haughty superiority and ego for a LOT of people where popping out kids is concerned. I hear this at least a couple of times a month. I’ve started informing these people that I’m unable to have kids but thanks for reopening that old wound, to try to teach them a lesson in how to not be an asshat.

It may be the most rewarding thing but it doesn’t make one better than another, and in my experience there’s a lot of people out there who think it does make them better, and they probably don’t even realize it.

I agree with this. I think there’s a lot of pressure to conform to social norms so when that doesn’t happen people tend question it and meddle when it’s none of their business. For example, my wife and I both have college degrees. By the grace of god I make enough money to support the whole family, allowing my wife to stay home with our children, one of which has special needs. My wife is constantly berated for not working. She almost hates attending family events because of it. Because she chooses to stay at home (at least until both of our children are in school full time) she is made to feel like a lesser person.
I have zero issues with a couple that chooses to not have kids and I have enough sense to respect their decision. Sure, there are people that have kids for the wrong reasons but I still feel that they represent a minority group.

reeneebob

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
I agree with this. I think there’s a lot of pressure to conform to social norms so when that doesn’t happen people tend question it and meddle when it’s none of their business. For example, my wife and I both have college degrees. By the grace of god I make enough money to support the whole family, allowing my wife to stay home with our children, one of which has special needs. My wife is constantly berated for not working. She almost hates attending family events because of it. Because she chooses to stay at home (at least until both of our children are in school full time) she is made to feel like a lesser person.
I have zero issues with a couple that chooses to not have kids and I have enough sense to respect their decision. Sure, there are people that have kids for the wrong reasons but I still feel that they represent a minority group.

I’ve come to enjoy the look they get when I say I can’t have kids and they realize how awful they just were. If they don’t realize it and continue on - and you’d be shocked how many are that obtuse - I will continue on down the road of my explanation...depending on the day, I’m often upset enough to start tearing up and don’t even care because these nosy, haughty [redacted] need to be taught the lesson imma bout to teach them.

It’s like an open wound. Every time.

In response to the OP, though - it’s the parents responsibility. These kids don’t get cell plans and devices on their own. The parents need to actively set limits.

Something that seems to be beyond the capabilities of many, unfortunately.

Last edited by a moderator:

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site

No. I’m infertile.

I straight out give the truth too. I’m going on 2 years being married. I’ve told my wife I would never like to have children. Not even one. There is nothing more rewarding than being inside a home full of peace and quiet. It is the absolute best thing.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site

No. I’m infertile.

This is an interesting perspective. I've never felt cool or better than anyone because I'm a parent. I've always seen it as such a common thing. Anyone can be a parent (adoption or natural) so I've never felt like my status as a parent allowed me to look down on anyone.

What I don't particularly enjoy is someone without kids telling parents how they should be raising theirs. It's tough to critique parenting when one hasn't had to parent a child themselves. Even as a parent, I understand all children are different so I try not to criticize other parents for what works for them so long as the child is loved and cared for.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Plenty of people have children because they want their "legacy" to continue. I think people who have children for that reason or one of the reasons have a big ego.

I didn't have kids because of a legacy reason. I had kids because I want to be a cool grandpa at some point. I'm selfish. :biggrin:

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
As I said before, I believe that it's the parent's responsibility... 100%! I also believe they need to lead by example.

reeneebob

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
This is an interesting perspective. I've never felt cool or better than anyone because I'm a parent. I've always seen it as such a common thing. Anyone can be a parent (adoption or natural) so I've never felt like my status as a parent allowed me to look down on anyone.

What I don't particularly enjoy is someone without kids telling parents how they should be raising theirs. It's tough to critique parenting when one hasn't had to parent a child themselves. Even as a parent, I understand all children are different so I try not to criticize other parents for what works for them so long as the child is loved and cared for.

I raised my brother and sister for 10 years, starting from when I was in grade 8 and they were 4 and 2, while my mother was sick with liver failure.

Why do you presume someone who hasn’t HAD children hasn’t RAISED children before?

It’s presumptions like that that I was talking about. It’s holier than thou.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro