Whose responsibility is it to monitor a child’s use of an iPhone - Parents or Apple?

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
True, though there are many ways to use it.

I mean kind of. It’s not marketed to consumers because its intention is for organizations and schools. The ease of deploying a large number of iOS devices from a single point of configuration. I use it almost daily and I would never recommend it to any parent who is looking to manage their child’s screentime. JAMF offers a tool that is free if you have less than three devices that I’d probably recommend sooner than I’d recommend Configurator 2.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Apple is adding more options and features (ie; parental controls) for the parent to be able to have more control over how their children use their iPhones. I see nothing wrong with this.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Parents need to get off their bums and be parents! Kids 12 and under shouldn’t have phones or computers of their own!

That is nothing more than your opinion. Thankfully your opinion does not dictate age restrictive laws about who can and cannot use a cell phone or computer.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
The parents are responsible, however this is a great time to teach the young ones that they are ultimately responsible for their own actions.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
I mean kind of. It’s not marketed to consumers because its intention is for organizations and schools. The ease of deploying a large number of iOS devices from a single point of configuration. I use it almost daily and I would never recommend it to any parent who is looking to manage their child’s screentime. JAMF offers a tool that is free if you have less than three devices that I’d probably recommend sooner than I’d recommend Configurator 2.

I will be honest, I haven’t spent much time with Apple Configurator 2. Thanks for clarifying its’ direction these days. I did use the iPhone Configuration Utility back in the day and it seems Apple was a bit more open regarding its’ direction. It is a shame.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
And this is nothing more than yours! Thankfully few follow your beliefs!

I never stated my beliefs. I stated a fact.

It is up to the parents to decide whether or not their child is old enough to handle the responsibility of a phone or a computer. My kids had phones at early ages with Life360 installed. I knew where they were at all times and vise versa, and they had the option to hit a panic button if they were in trouble while away from our home (ie; on their way to/from school, friends houses, movies etc.). My kids were responsible enough to earn the right to own cell phones.

anon(4697585)

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Parents need to get off their bums and be parents! Kids 12 and under shouldn’t have phones or computers of their own!

My 10 year old has IT homework to do so nothing wrong with teaching her how to be responsible on a laptop. I changed mine and she got my old one. If she breaks it or goes on something she shouldn’t (if she finds something not on my filters) then she’ll lose it.
It’s been 6 weeks so far and not once has she broken any rules or my trust.

In fact she’s come and spoken to me and my wife twice when she saw something that she didn’t like or think herself was appropriate.

She’s protected by my filters and time restrictions on the router and monitored with parenting software on the laptop itself.
Apple should make these kinds of tools available but it is still me who is parenting.

anon(4697585)

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
I never stated my beliefs. I stated a fact.

It is up to the parents to decide whether or not their child is old enough to handle the responsibility of a phone or a computer. My kids had phones at early ages with Life360 installed. I knew where they were at all times and vise versa, and they had the option to hit a panic button if they were in trouble while away from our home (ie; on their way to/from school, friends houses, movies etc.). My kids were responsible enough to earn the right to own cell phones.

Agree. My 10 year old has my old laptop for school work and my old iPhone 6 for when she is out with family and she proved she was responsible enough to have them.
Not once has she broken a rule about using them and twice she’s approached me when she saw something she was uncomfortable with (that clown craze).

However, she’s protected by internet filters, trackers and iOS restrictions because we all know how quickly you can find yourself on different websites without thinking or realising.

So responsible is she that she saved her Christmas money to buy a laptop bag and a shock proof phone case without prompting.

ksassy

Mar 9, 2017
Visit site
Parents 100%! My 12 year old son has my old iPad Air and my dad's old iPhone 6 for school and homework since everything school related is done on Google Classroom. All the appropriate restrictions are locked down on the tablet and phone with family sharing and ask to buy for any apps he wants. He understands everything goes through me including the phone staying in my bedroom at night and he's fully aware that I read all his text messages and web/app activity. He's my kid so it's my responsibility to know what he's doing.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
You know my take on this all too well LOL..it’s definitely the parents responsibility. While it’s nice to utilize restrictions & different features that are offered to assist, the best way to monitor your child’s activity is to actually monitor them. If I wanted to see what my kids were doing, I would just look in their phone. I’m not sneaking to look, I ask and they hand it over...no questions asked because I raised them that way.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
You know my take on this all too well LOL..it’s definitely the parents responsibility. While it’s nice to utilize restrictions & different features that are offered to assist, the best way to monitor your child’s activity is to actually monitor them. If I wanted to see what my kids were doing, I would just look in their phone. I’m not sneaking to look, I ask and they hand it over...no questions asked because I raised them that way.

Girl, yeah........Now that’s what I like!

Damien_Eternal

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
While providing the ability to set restrictions and such is a good idea, ultimately it is the parents responsibility to see that their kids use the tech responsibly.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site

THIS X 1,000,000

As parents we have a responsibility here. The minute either of my boys refuse to hand over their device or attempt to lock me out of it it’s gone. Restrictions are helpful but only go so far.

anon(10000748)

Aug 20, 2016
Visit site
Kids who are addicted to their smart phones are 100% victims of parenting. I was always so busy with sports, fishing, hunting, reading etc I only had time to play video games or be on my phone (born in the late 80’s grew up in 90- early 2000) during the summer. If you don’t want your kids to be on the phone spend some dang time with them. Encourage them to broaden their horizons with a book or a sport. To this day I’m an avid book reader and outdoorsman. This is all due to habits that were set when I was young.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
On a side note, a few other members around here and I use Circle to help manage our kids’ device usage. I like it because I can set time limits and control what content they have access to. We use screen time as a reward system. For example, my oldest gets 30 minutes a day. If he wants more he knows he has to earn it through things like doing chores, completing math practice problems, etc. Circle is available as a stand-alone device but many manufacturers are building it right into their routers. I have access through my Orbi router.

www.meetcircle.com

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73