How do I perform a “Return” inside a cell?

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
“Return” inside a cell

I don’t know the answer to this, but maybe type what you want in a separate note, copy that and paste inside the cell that you want.

Hopefully someone else will come along with a better answer.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: “Return” inside a cell

How do I “return” inside a cell on tables in notes?

I know I’m probably misunderstanding, but simply tap on the cell you want to return to. The cursor will then blink inside that cell.

Now if by return you mean dropping down to begin typing a new line within that same cell, I don’t think you can. If you keep typing or pressing the spacebar, the cursor will drop down a line within the same cell.

Barbara Hill

Jan 3, 2018
Visit site

I’m sorry there is not a fix for that problem. I’m using a table to save info about RV parks that we have visited. I want to put separate dates that we have stayed in a particular park without repeating all of the other identical info.

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site

I’m sorry there is not a fix for that problem. I’m using a table to save info about RV parks that we have visited. I want to put separate dates that we have stayed in a particular park without repeating all of the other identical info.

Maybe the option to add new rows or columns would work? To me this is similar to how you would hit the Return key and as a result a new line would be added to a Word document.

Clicking on the small rectangle with the three small dots inside brings up the option to add rows or columns. The option to add new rows or columns is visible once a table is added to the Note.

You could have a Date_Range_Visited column and within each cell for a particular park, put in the date or date range values.

Is the above what you're wanting to do?

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site

Probably better to use a spreadsheet application like Excel or Sheets.

This is exactly what I was thinking. Numbers would be another option. I understand your frustration, and have resorted to using all of the above, as well as Sheets as I just mentioned. It's really much better and will do what you want it too!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

Are you talking about a carriage return in the same table? If so, use dictation and just say "new line". The cursor will move down within the table.

Carriage return? I haven’t heard that phrase in ages....

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
A very late response but if you hold down shift then press next it should drop down to the next cell, whether in a table or not.

Hope that helps!

Hello and welcome to iMore! It's good to have you here. Thanks for sharing that tip!

When you get a chance, please take a minute to introduce yourself here!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice