iOS and Battery Age Slowing Down Our Phones

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Source: https://www.geekbench.com/blog/2017/12/iphone-performance-and-battery-age/

So there has long been an underlying rumor that Apple slows down our phones with each iteration of iOS. Some say it's to compel us to upgrade. I don't have any opinions on the "why". But more and more evidence is showing this practice to be true.

How does everyone feel about this?

Me, personally, I upgrade every year. So I have never experienced an issue. So I can't say I personally feel one way or another. But for those of you who spend money on these devices with hopes they will last, which is a reasonable expectation on a device that costs $700+, how do you feel?

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I just traded in my 6s last week, and never noticed a slowdown of any kind. My phone was working perfectly well (making my husband wonder why I was getting a new phone :D )!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
That’s business 101. Every company that produces newer versions of a product wants its customers to upgrade and to effectively cause them to is to gradually diminish support for older products. In edition, all of the fault does not lie with businesses. Consumers are notorious for demanding the new and improved.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I'm still with my 6s Plus on iOS 10.1.1. While I do occasionally experience a glitch and have to charge more often, I can't say I notice a slowdown. I've been a heavy user on this phone for almost 27 months.

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
I should say it's iOS, after all, each new iPhone is upgraded for speed and more working memory and an older phone has not been. And operating systems are aimed at the newest specs. So if you, like me use an older phone you're going to suffer the penalty of slowness, I can't say that I care too much...

krishnansasikumar

Dec 7, 2017
Visit site
I guess its regular degradation of the hardware and Apple's battery degradation reason

My wife had a 6s that got slow over time, but when she got a new 6s from her company set up as a backup from the earlier phone, the new one is much faster and smoother even with the latest 11 version

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I feel it’s not done deliberately but the security updates coded into the OS is the culprit

Or I just need them to release an updated SE.

Call it the Mini X 🤪

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Ideally, I keep my iPhones for 2 years before upgrading. I haven’t noticed any slowing down of my iPhone 7 Plus yet.
I am also planning on having my battery replaced somewhere in August, because I will have a clear conscience about it if I pass it down to one of my parents.

dmoskaluk

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
With all the battery controversy of late it leaves me wondering why ( if in the 'degraded performance mode' with an aged battery as the cause,) why doesn't normal performance return when simply plugged in to the charger current?? How integral is the battery itself to the phone when it's being actively charged. I've never had battery issues while in use, other than the expected on older phones (4s, 6) not holding charge as long) or charging, or after updating, so maybe I'm just lucky

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
With all the battery controversy of late it leaves me wondering why ( if in the 'degraded performance mode' with an aged battery as the cause,) why doesn't normal performance return when simply plugged in to the charger current?? How integral is the battery itself to the phone when it's being actively charged. I've never had battery issues while in use, other than the expected on older phones (4s, 6) not holding charge as long) or charging, or after updating, so maybe I'm just lucky

This is a good question. Maybe it does. I haven’t seen or found an answer.

alc1575

Jul 28, 2016
Visit site
I just traded in my 6s last week, and never noticed a slowdown of any kind. My phone was working perfectly well (making my husband wonder why I was getting a new phone :D )!

I had to charge my 6s more often due to battery wear, but I didn’t experience any slowdowns either.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR