How do you determine if an app you don't have installed has received an update?

omzig42

Oct 4, 2017
Visit site
The scenario is as follows; You can have many apps that have accumulated over the years and for various reasons have uninstalled some of them. Now one (or more) of the apps that is no longer installed has a compelling update (new features, reworked UI/UX etc).

How can you know that this update has happened? The purchased app list just shows apps not on your device listed in purchased order. This is the way its been as long as I can remember. Prior to iTunes 12.7 (removed app store) checking for app updates in iTunes would surface updates to installed and uninstalled apps. Now this is not possible.

An example: year ago Camera+ was purchased and then uninstalled from iPhone, today Camera+ gets a nice update adding depth info and a reworked camera UI. As far as I can tell you have no way of knowing this updated occurred.

werner6769

Apr 14, 2016
Visit site
I don’t think you can get notified of this. However, checking your purchase list in the App Store will show you the last update date info and some details.

omzig42

Oct 4, 2017
Visit site
Yes provided you know what app got updated problem is you don't. Now if the purchased app list (not on device) had the option to sort it by recently updated that would be helpful.

TwitchyPuppy

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
Look for said app, in the App Store and look either under ‘What’s New’ or ‘Information’ (depending if you’re on iOS 10 or 11).

omzig42

Oct 4, 2017
Visit site
Yes you can provided you know an app got an update, thats the issue I'm trying to describe - there is no way of "knowing" if uninstalled apps have had updates

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I use AppShopper. I get notified of any app update for apps I have marked as owning. If an app updates, and is in your purchased list, it updates. Sometimes you can tell if they update their app icon. The new one will show in the purchased list. Otherwise, you just have to download it and check it out.

omzig42

Oct 4, 2017
Visit site
Unfortunately it appears AppShopper needs a 64bit update, AppZapp also allows you to mark apps you've purchased and even has a Mac OS util which will sync all your purchases, thus creating a purchased list that can be sorted by "last changed" i.e. update or price change. Be nice though if this was a Apple App store capability, as it stands now you visibility into your catalog of purchased apps is limited and if you have more than a few the purchased apps (not on Device) list is not very useful

anon(9721108)

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
I have a question regarding something similar. I was working on dad's iPad Pro 12.9 and he had an onscreen update for TSN. The odd thing is he uses the website and NOT the APP! Is something like this considered legit? I mean how can there be an update if the app was removed. He only has the website saved as an icon.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
Yes you can provided you know an app got an update, thats the issue I'm trying to describe - there is no way of "knowing" if uninstalled apps have had updates

Look for the app in the App Store. Look at version history under “What’s New”

omzig42

Oct 4, 2017
Visit site
Yes I could do that if I knew what app was updated. My point is if I uninstalled application "X" 6 months ago and have since forgotten about it and today it gets a compelling update how would I know

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
Yes I could do that if I knew what app was updated. My point is if I uninstalled application "X" 6 months ago and have since forgotten about it and today it gets a compelling update how would I know

The App Store has a search function. Do a search for application “X”. You can also ask Siri, “Search the App Store for ”. If the app is available to download, it will show up in your search results. If not, you may want to contact the app developer. If you don’t know who they are, you may have to do a search on the internet for any info on the company. It may be the developer has discontinued app development, which in that case there probably are no updates.

omzig42

Oct 4, 2017
Visit site
The point I'm trying to make is you do not know what application 'x' is. Prior to iTunes 12.7 when you checked for app updates it would show you updates for all the apps you own not just the ones currently installed. Now since you only have the iOS app store when you check for updates it only shows you updates for apps that are installed.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
The point I'm trying to make is you do not know what application 'x' is. Prior to iTunes 12.7 when you checked for app updates it would show you updates for all the apps you own not just the ones currently installed. Now since you only have the iOS app store when you check for updates it only shows you updates for apps that are installed.

I don't recall ever seeing all the apps I own in my purchased list being shown updates for in the App Store. Only those I have installed. I have almost 2,000 apps in my purchased list. I currently have 285 installed. AppShopper will tell you of updates to any you mark as owned. The app no longer works on iOS 11, but you can get it online. They'll email you the info, or you can go online and check. I'm on 10.1.1.

omzig42

Oct 4, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for the info, AppZapp is a similar application still available on the app store - both require manual work, just wish this was built into the new app store. Being able to sort the purchased app list by recently updated would help.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox