New to iOS

rsidhaarth

Oct 2, 2017
Visit site
Hi All,

I am new to IOS. Moved from Windows Phone. I want to confirm certain things which most of my iPhone friends says "No, we don't have"

1) Do smart dial available on iPhone?
2) How to turn of notification sound when hearing songs or watching movies?
3) Mobile data won't work during phone calls?
4) True caller not showing name on the screen when someone calls.
5) No torrents to download files?
6) Any adblocker which can block all ads without VPN?
7) Best keyboard for iPhone
8) How to clear all notification on the badges?

I had all the options on my previous phone. I am on iPhone 8 Plus.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Hi All,

I am new to IOS. Moved from Windows Phone. I want to confirm certain things which most of my iPhone friends says "No, we don't have"

I think I know what you’re asking, let me see here,

1. I’m not sure what you mean by smart dial, if that’s like speed dial, there really isn’t any on iOS, but Siri can call anyone in your contacts list.
2. I don’t know about muting notifications with music, but when watching movies the sound won’t play but you’ll get the notification pop ups. (Edit: that is with the mute switch flipped to vibrate).
3. Data and calling is pretty standard since LTE, you can use data while on a call.
4. iOS only shows the phone number unless you have the number saved.
5. Apple is highly against pirating and torrents and I don’t do it myself so I can’t help here.
6. I use 1Blocker with great success.
7. Best keyboard is subjective though people like SwiftKey and GBoard, but I prefer the stock keyboard.
8. Notification badges only clear by going into the apps themselves unfortunately, at least I haven’t found any other way and haven’t heard of one.

Hopefully this helps and hopefully someone else can answer what I couldn’t. Welcome to iOS!

Last edited:

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
2. The mute switch on the side of the phone should silence notifications.

3. If you are on Verizon or Sprint, Settings / Cellular / Cellular Data Options / Enable LTE and make sure that it is set for "Voice & Data". Note that on these carriers, you can only get voice and data when you have an LTE signal - it won't work with 3G/EVDO data.

Jbrown99

Jan 23, 2016
Visit site
Hi All,

1) phone app doesn't support smart dialing / T9. There is Favorites, but most just use their Contact list and search or use Siri to call the person.
2) like mentioned already. using the mute switch, but will still see the notification. just swipe it up & away.
3) Try Doogald suggestion
4) For True caller not showing name on the screen when someone calls.
Try this if not already done so, iPhone settings > Phone > Caller Identification and Block and enable Truecaller
5) Torrents are frowned upon
6) Any adblocker - try metllicamilitia suggestion. personally I don't use one.
7) Best 3rd party keyboards - I've used SwiftKey and Gboard. both are nice.
3rd party keyboards though do act differently than on other OS's. You have to switch to that
keyboard for the first time in everything. Its not just one time switch in Settings. (apples way)
8) How to clear all notification on the badges - Like metllicamilitia said.

If you can Live with all this from switching to an iPhone & iOS and with just a different mindset/learning curve, great. If not, then sounds like Android OS would be better for you.

rsidhaarth

Oct 2, 2017
Visit site
Thanks to all people who have replied.

1) Smart Dial - I really miss this feature which is available on my 950 XL. Because I don't have to search my contact when dialing. All I do is go to my dial pad and type those name in T9 or their number, contacts will come up in few strikes. And I never open my contact app for anything other than saving contacts.

And not only for contacts. It will also bring the numbers from call logs (those numbers I have missed or non saved)

Apple needs to add this feature.

3) In my 950 XL it will also work on 3G too. I don't know why this doesn't work on Apple. As in 3G, calls can happen parallel.

And I am from India. As of now I am with Airtel who have all the modes. And next week and shifting to JIO, where only LTE is the only option.

6) It seems like it is only for website. Is there something for apps too which is paid and can remove ads without VPN.

7) I am using Swift as of now. I do notice that I am switching for all the apps. Hope my settings are auto saved and on my next iPhone I don't have to do all these again.

8) DAMN, that's pain. Is there any way I can have many badges for single app. For example : I have many folders in my outlook. I want to know whether I get emails on those folders.

For email which client is best? As a newbie to iOS do I have to know something which I may not be aware as of now?

I started liking iOS. But still some features are missing which can be added though.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
Thanks to all people who have replied.

1) Smart Dial - I really miss this feature which is available on my 950 XL. Because I don't have to search my contact when dialing. All I do is go to my dial pad and type those name in T9 or their number, contacts will come up in few strikes. And I never open my contact app for anything other than saving contacts.

And not only for contacts. It will also bring the numbers from call logs (those numbers I have missed or non saved)

Apple needs to add this feature.

This may help for making a call. From your home screen swipe down and bring up Siri Search. Start typing the name of the person you want to call or their number. Their entry will come up in few strikes. You can select it and phone call, message, video chat, etc.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
This may help for making a call. From your home screen swipe down and bring up Siri Search. Start typing the name of the person you want to call or their number. Their entry will come up in few strikes. You can select it and phone call, message, video chat, etc.

You can do that from the contacts tab of the phone app, too. But T9 dialing is fat-finger friendly. That is a feature that I miss on the iPhone for sure.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox