Error 56 Back Again?

MikeP81

Aug 4, 2015
Visit site
Rene Ritchie Help Please!

I've had my iPad Air 2 for several years, kept it in an apple case since it was purchased. It's in perfect condition. It's worked flawlessly, as I use it for both personal use, and also extensively for work. I recently updated it to iOS 11, and I received an 'Error 56' during the install and now my ipad won't move past the 'Plug into iTunes' screen and is inoperable. I spent a couple of hours on the phone with Apple support, trying two different of my MacBook Pros to complete the install via iTunes, and it still didn't work, same error. Apple support then set me up with an appointment at the Genius bar, they too, attempted the install twice via iTunes on their Macbook, and received the same error code. Then their technical guy comes out and says my ipad has a "Hardware" issue, and since it's not under warranty, there's nothing they can do. Can't put back the old OS, can't replace my iPad, etc. Talked to the manager, and again, there's nothing they can do, beyond offering to replace it with another Air 2 for $300.

I find it VERY difficult to believe that there's a hardware issue occurring given it worked fine before the update, and after the update I'm getting this error. After reading online, it appears this Error code has plagued previous iOS updates with iPads, and I was wondering if anyone else is having the same issue? Is there anything else I can do? I don't think it's right that Apple won't make this right. Thanks for your help!

Mike

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
While waiting on a reply from Rene, try the following, but expect to lose EVERYTHING so I hope you’ve made a recent backup to restore from.

1. Login to the iCloud website via your MacBook Pro to see if you can locate the device via the Find My iPhone option. If you can, remotely wipe the device. If you cannot, proceed to step 2.

2. Plug in the device to a wall power unit, power off the device and then let it charge for about an hour.

3. Put the device in DFU mode, connect it to iTunes, and when iTunes detects that it’s in recovery, select to restore and update.

Last edited:

MikeP81

Aug 4, 2015
Visit site
Thanks Just_Me_D, I tried the three steps you've suggested, and I'm still receiving the Error 56 message. I wasn't able to locate my iPad via iCloud as you suggested. However, I did charge it up, put it back in DFU mode, and followed the steps you mentioned and I'm still getting the same issue. Hopefully others may be experiencing the same thing. Any help anyone can provide would be appreciated! Thank you!
Mike

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Have you ever had the phone repaired by a 3rd party shop? Either a screen replacement or a home button replacement? This can sometimes be a problem and cause this sort of error

Ykim1969

Dec 31, 2017
Visit site
I have the exact same problem with my iPad pro, which is only less than 2 years. It was all working fine until I started the ios update. The apple store technician claims that it's a hardware failure, but I don't agree. Is there a way to escalate this issue to a bigger group of people who experience the same issue?

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I have the exact same problem with my iPad pro, which is only less than 2 years. It was all working fine until I started the ios update. The apple store technician claims that it's a hardware failure, but I don't agree. Is there a way to escalate this issue to a bigger group of people who experience the same issue?

I would contact Apple Support and escalate it to a manager over there. The problem is your iPad only has a 1-year warranty unless you purchased AppleCare+.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2