iOS 11 Missing Feature

Tom-2012

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
Previously when searching for apps using the Spotlight search on the iPhone or iPad we would be able to locate what folder an app was in when searching. See Below where TripAdvisor, Tripit, and TripTik are in the Travel folder.

iOS10 - 1.PNG

Now in iOS 11 when using Spotlight to find an app you can still launch the app, however, it's location is no longer displayed. This was a useful for managing a large number of apps in folders that may have been similar. For Example, Games1, Games2, Games3, or Utilities, Productivity, Office. See below where Tripit still resides in the Travel folder but spotlight search does not display where.

iOS11 - 1.PNG

I have a support call in to Apple but no word if this is a discontinued feature.

Tom

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Good call - this was helpful! I tend to group mine by category so not too many instances this would be an issue but still would be nice to have.

cuttheredwire

Apr 28, 2016
Visit site
They simplified it to take up less space. Spotlight results needed to be culled. Spotlight results needs to be culled.

I wish they left in the period trick. That would give power users a valuable tool while wrangling in typical results.

List All Your Installed iOS Apps in Spotlight with a Period

To get a quick glimpse of all your apps, just toggle Spotlight (swipe down from the middle of the home screen), and type in a period. You'll see a full list of all your installed apps and the folder they're in.

TNCystal

Oct 2, 2017
Visit site
Hey I'm not sure if you've already figured it out, but someone on reddit explain that if you use spotlight search like before and now hit the blue "search" button in the lower right corner it will tell you what folder the app is in. This means you now have to type out the full name of the app if you want to do the search, which is a little more annoying. Hope that helps :)

Previously when searching for apps using the Spotlight search on the iPhone or iPad we would be able to locate what folder an app was in when searching. See Below where TripAdvisor, Tripit, and TripTik are in the Travel folder.

View attachment 119696

Now in iOS 11 when using Spotlight to find an app you can still launch the app, however, it's location is no longer displayed. This was a useful for managing a large number of apps in folders that may have been similar. For Example, Games1, Games2, Games3, or Utilities, Productivity, Office. See below where Tripit still resides in the Travel folder but spotlight search does not display where.

View attachment 119697

I have a support call in to Apple but no word if this is a discontinued feature.

Tom

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner