Apple Podcast app for ios11

Epitome1

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Am I the only person appalled by the new layout of the podcast app?

They made it so complicated...and everything is so big...why did they need to make the graphics for each podcast so F’ing big??

It needs a “list view” option at the very least.

I like to have my download eps, the pods I’m subscribed to, and the pods I’ve listened to before: all organized and listed in a simple way.

I also really miss being able to just scroll through my podcasts and have the date of when they last released an episode to be listed below the title.

I’m so sad right now...Is there anyway to downgrade just my podcast app back to the ios10 version??

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Not likely. But there are plenty of great podcast apps in the App Store. Overcast is free to use with subtle onscreen ads; you can pay to remove them if you wish. Give it (or another app) a try if the podcast app is unusable.

camaroz1985

Trusted Member
Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
Like above, might be time to check out other apps. I prefer Pocket Casts, lots of customization, looks and works good, cross platform syncing, and updated frequently.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
Am I the only person appalled by the new layout of the podcast app?

They made it so complicated...and everything is so big...why did they need to make the graphics for each podcast so F’ing big??

It needs a “list view” option at the very least.

I like to have my download eps, the pods I’m subscribed to, and the pods I’ve listened to before: all organized and listed in a simple way.

I also really miss being able to just scroll through my podcasts and have the date of when they last released an episode to be listed below the title.

I’m so sad right now...Is there anyway to downgrade just my podcast app back to the ios10 version??

I am appalled, also. There is no “mark as played” anymore. I reported this with the Beta.

Perry_Orne

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
Apple's Podcast app lost a ton of functionality for me. I use it daily for 6 or 8 podcasts. I drive 1.5+ hours each way to work. It was the way I maintained my sanity. I drive a MINI Cooper and I could use the "multimedia" MINI selection to drive the Podcast app and do things like skip podcasts and play many in a row, without touching the phone, if they appeared boring or old or etc (lot's of scenarios and situations), but either I haven't figured it out yet (which is possible) or the functionality is now lost.

I can't play "multiple" podcasts in a row. (Remember I'm driving, so I can't just reach over and select the next one or a different one) and it could be "don't do this while driving" (or whatever it's called), which I like and respect, but auto advance from one podcast to the next appears gone.

I've tried Overcast, which is cool, but (don't remember all the details) is a bit annoying when using the app via vehicle controls (I know it might be some spec...). Mainly in the "Oh sure, you can skip, but only a small pieces at a time...." (remember Marco I can't touch the phone to use the cool features you've added to the interface...) and the play many in a row based upon when downloaded, doesn't seem to exist. Seems I must "manage" the ones coming up next (playlist or manual). Sorry, don't have that time.

Anyway, I'm sure I'm babbling at this point, but the Apple podcast app fit my use case and now it doesn't. Dang it.

I'll retry Overcast and Pocket Casts.

Dang it.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
FWIW, in overcast when I long press the skip forward or back button in my car it skips to the next episode in my playlist, or back to the beginning of the current episode. Or maybe it’s pressing fast forward and rewind. There is a setting to show that, in settings / nitpicky details.

IrinSouv

Oct 31, 2017
Visit site
I googled for 'podcasts app downgrade' for the exact same reason as you all, and made an account here just so I could chip in: the new app is cluttered, uglier (in my opinion) and nowhere near as functional as it was before. Seems like Apple is forgetting the KISS principle, and just upgrades stuff for the sake of upgrading.

I found an article that details how you can download older versions of apps into iTunes, and then drag them back onto your phone: How to download older versions of iOS apps

I'm going to give that a try. It looks complicated, but I think with the video I'll manage ok.

Btw, is there a way to 'try out' an upgrade? Like, adopt the new look, try out all the apps, and then be able to say: "Meh, no thanks" and just keep the version of iOS you already had? If so, please tell me how to do this, if not, then Apple really should, maybe even app per app.

owlyn

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
I agree 1000% The new app is very confusing, and has lost some important functionality. I have accidentally unsubscribed from three different podcasts, and you can't tell how big the file is (I use this before downloading on LTE), and overall, it just makes no sense.The previous version was awesome.

IrinSouv

Oct 31, 2017
Visit site
Oh. Dang it. I folded, in the end, and got Pocket Casts. Works brilliantly. I'm really sorry I can't use apple's app itself, but well, they asked for it. You should see people on reddit complaining about it. I think they'll get the gist and hopefully revert to a better version with the next upgrade... but then, the undoubtedly thousands of people who jumped ship and bought Pocket casts or another app won't come back, so too late.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
Oh. Dang it. I folded, in the end, and got Pocket Casts. Works brilliantly. I'm really sorry I can't use apple's app itself, but well, they asked for it. You should see people on reddit complaining about it. I think they'll get the gist and hopefully revert to a better version with the next upgrade... but then, the undoubtedly thousands of people who jumped ship and bought Pocket casts or another app won't come back, so too late.

Not a fan of pocket casts either. I think Apple copied the layout of pocket casts for the latest podcasts app.