iOS 11 Dev Beta 3 is now Available

Status
Not open for further replies.

OZsMac

Mar 22, 2014
Visit site
So I'll admit I jumped a little fast into iOS 11 Beta 3 on my iPhone 7 Plus. I've been running iOS 11 beta on two iPads since just after the WWDC launch without any major issue beyond the normal wobbles.

As my iPhone is my daily driver, I installed with a promise to myself that if it really impacted me enough, I would roll back without hesitation. Sadly this has happened within 24 hours, three main reasons:

The first is incredibly poor battery life (I had to re-charge twice today, I don't have any photos on the device, so can't blame re-indexing during an upgrade I'm afraid).

Second is that background audio with Pocketcasts (and I suspect other third party audio apps) doesn't appear to work, playback is halting after a minute or two.

Third, general handling of bluetooth isn't quite right at this point, making calls a bit of a hit and miss afraid.

This post is not to complain about iOS 11 Beta 3 at all, not to whine about a loss of information with the downgrade (I have a full back-up to restore to and have been through that process a few times over the years), and made with the expectation that I could be the only one with such issues...just wanted to share my experience.

PS - Still a very happy iOS 11 beta user on my 12.9" and 10.5" iPads.

taiseer999

Dec 4, 2016
Visit site
Can’t even get iPad into DFU mode, and it never was recognized by iTunes on my PC in the first place, so I’d be unable to restore in any event. I’m going to the Apple store tomorrow to have it looked at. It’s a Pro 10.5 that is brand new. I’m thinking the preexisting inability to connect to iTunes may prove to be the issue that gets me a warranty replacement.

On the other hand, Beta 3 is great on my iPhone. I’m still trying to figure out how to get watchOS 4 beta 3 installed on my watch. I didn’t think I needed to install another profile, but it appears that I might have to after all.

I don't see watchos 4 Beta3 yet? I am on Beta2 and I guess it is the latest!

OZsMac

Mar 22, 2014
Visit site
Oh wonderful, I'm now experiencing first hand the downgrade challenges with iOS 11 that many (if not all) have found.

Apparently (I'm still going through the process) you can't downgrade straight back to 10.3.2 (not sure if this is common to all iPhone hardware, but seems common for 7+), instead you need to undergo a little bit of an adventure:

11 Beta 2 or 3 > 10.3.3 beta 6 > 10.3.2
11 Beta 2 or 3 > 11 Beta 1 > 10.3.2

This might just be my phones desperate last minute ploy to keep iOS 11 installed.

PS - If during the re-store you see these windows a few times, you have this problem.

Screen Shot 2017-07-12 at 9.28.49 pm.png

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Anybody having any Bluetooth issues? Updated to Beta 3 before work yesterday morning and my Tahoe (2010) won’t connect. I’ve unpaired and paired again with no luck. Seems my watch is paired fine.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Anybody having any Bluetooth issues? Updated to Beta 3 before work yesterday morning and my Tahoe (2010) won’t connect. I’ve unpaired and paired again with no luck. Seems my watch is paired fine.

Thus far, I’m not having any Bluetooth issues. In fact, my iPhone quickly connects to both Bluetooth and Wi-Fi when I get in my car.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
So I'll admit I jumped a little fast into iOS 11 Beta 3 on my iPhone 7 Plus. I've been running iOS 11 beta on two iPads since just after the WWDC launch without any major issue beyond the normal wobbles.

As my iPhone is my daily driver, I installed with a promise to myself that if it really impacted me enough, I would roll back without hesitation. Sadly this has happened within 24 hours, three main reasons:

The first is incredibly poor battery life (I had to re-charge twice today, I don't have any photos on the device, so can't blame re-indexing during an upgrade I'm afraid).

Second is that background audio with Pocketcasts (and I suspect other third party audio apps) doesn't appear to work, playback is halting after a minute or two.

Third, general handling of bluetooth isn't quite right at this point, making calls a bit of a hit and miss afraid.

This post is not to complain about iOS 11 Beta 3 at all, not to whine about a loss of information with the downgrade (I have a full back-up to restore to and have been through that process a few times over the years), and made with the expectation that I could be the only one with such issues...just wanted to share my experience.

PS - Still a very happy iOS 11 beta user on my 12.9" and 10.5" iPads.

There’s no need to explain yourself OZsMac. Heck, I’m always amazed at how differently a beta performs on each device. Some people have little to no issues whereas others have a ton. That’s beta life for you....:)

jgraves1107

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Funny beta 3 seems almost finished on my 7+. Beta 2 had all kinds of issues. Now the only thing I am seeing is battery life and my beats cut out but that could be just a pairing issue. Maybe the bugs are apps that have not been updated to support ios11.

Dukins

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
I haven't read through the entire thread, but is there a way yet to remove the music app from lock screen? Only way to permanently kill the music app from lock screen is to restart the device (7+). It seems there is no way to remove it.

Chuck_IV

Apr 12, 2016
Visit site
There is something seriously wrong with the Bluetooth.

In "other devices" in the Bluetooth settings, I accidentally touched my Apple watch and it disconnected.

Now it won't even see my Apple watch to be able to reconnect it. It is paired in the watch app and usually if it's not connected I just touch it in the list of Bluetooth devices and it connects. But it's nowhere to be found and the phone won't see the watch and the watch doesn't see the phone when searching for devices.

Last edited:

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I know you knew But at least now I know it didn’t fix your issue.

Yeah problem is I can't get the activity app on the phone and health app to communicate. I even unpaired and repaired watch. I did have somebody tell me that it happened to them on beta 2 though.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Yeah problem is I can't get the activity app on the phone and health app to communicate. I even unpaired and repaired watch. I did have somebody tell me that it happened to them on beta 2 though.

‘Knocks on wood’
Fortunately I haven’t had this happening to me. I hope you figure it out soon.
This is my Watch at the moment I even had it on flight mode all day long and even then it didn’t last more than 6 hours
0c69afacd006c58aac9c27478f1897b0.heic

I really hope for beta 3 to drop today.

Jbrown99

Jan 23, 2016
Visit site
There is something seriously wrong with the Bluetooth.

In "other devices" in the Bluetooth settings, I accidentally touched my Apple watch and it disconnected.

Now it won't even see my Apple watch to be able to reconnect it. It is paired in the watch app and usually if it's not connected I just touch it in the list of Bluetooth devices and it connects. But it's nowhere to be found and the phone won't see the watch and the watch doesn't see the phone when searching for devices.

What watch os are you on? ios 11 I believe needs watch os 4 beta. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong

Chuck_IV

Apr 12, 2016
Visit site
It’s the other way around. watchOS 4 needs iOS 11. But watchOS 3 can work just fine with iOS 11.

And that's the combo I have now watchOS 3 with iOS 11.

No matter what I did, I could not get either the watch or phone to see each other anymore.

I ended up having to do a complete reset/re-pair/restore of the watch to get it working again.

djg21

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Do a clean install of the .ipsw file via iTunes and DFU mode.

I don’t want to speak too soon, but I got the iPad to be recognized by iTunes by reinstalling 64-bit drivers, then got into DFU mode despite not having a display. iTunes is now restoring to iOS 10.3.2. Hopefully this will get me going again. Thanks.

thedonp

Banned
May 19, 2017
Visit site
I don’t want to speak too soon, but I got the iPad to be recognized by iTunes by reinstalling 64-bit drivers, then got into DFU mode despite not having a display. iTunes is now restoring to iOS 10.3.2. Hopefully this will get me going again. Thanks.

It should be. I told you it would work. I had that happen with all my devices.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

You’re very welcome, and please keep us updated....

djg21

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
You’re very welcome, and please keep us updated....

iOS 10.3.3 installed, 2x. Display continues to fail. It worked briefly, then became striated and faded to black. It seems to lighten when I tap power or home buttons, and is seen in iTunes as one would expect

The issue appears to be unrelated to the iOS and just coincidentally arose when I installed the beta. Now that the old iOS is installed, it can go back for repair/replacement.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
iOS 10.3.3 installed, 2x. Display continues to fail. It worked briefly, then became striated and faded to black. It seems to lighten when I tap power or home buttons, and is seen in iTunes as one would expect

The issue appears to be unrelated to the iOS and just coincidentally arose when I installed the beta. Now that the old iOS is installed, it can go back for repair/replacement.

Great observations and thank you for keeping us updated. Are you going to make a Genius Bar appointment soon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro