iPhone 6 Battery Swell

dmoskaluk

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
I was at the local phone & internet provider to complete the purchase and set-up of my new iPhone 7Plus. When the tech person removed the case from my iPhone 6 which I was deactivating , to remove the SIM card, she found that the phone had 'sprung' it's front screen by about 1/8 inch and could not be pressed back into place. It seemed the edge of the case ( Apple Leather) was really all that was ( at least on one side) holding the device together.
The phone had NEVER been dropped and although far from new ( Sept 2015) was in excellent condition. It was never used with non-people cables or chargers nor in the hands of anyone but my wife or myself, both seniors. The technician indicated that although rare with Apple phones, it can & does happen that a battery fault ( usually a heating issue) can cause the battery to swell to almost twice it's width, pushing the phone apart. She indicated that it was probably fixable by the local Apple authorized reseller ( no Apple Stores here in the Caribbean) but the repair would mean at least a battery replacement as well as possible repairs to any other internals damaged by the physical expansion of the battery. She was surprised that the phone was working normally at this point.
I was changing it for other reasons to a larger handset but in comparison to my wife's 6Plus, my 6 always had fair to poor battery life, ( I got very familiar with Low Power Mode) and more glitches ( in the last month, a few times phone awoke needing it's security numbers rather than Touch ID as if it had re-sprung while dormant. The evening before I went to do the swap, I plugged the phone in to charge and it re-sprung right away, which I felt was strange. It never got hot or really even warm, although it lived a in a climate of 25-35 degrees ( mid 70's to low 90's) year round.
Having a phone fail when at the phone shop to replace it was undoubtedly the best way and place for it to happen and I've read that any recourse is a local policy if out of warranty but I'm not going any further as I'm totally pleased with the new phone which is what I was there to begin with. I was told that this type of failure could be a precursor to a battery fire or other more serious event so I guess it is the Lords way of taking the sting out of what some in my camp might consider an impulsive purchase

dmoskaluk

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
Yes I was right across the desk - she was quite upset at the possibility that she had damaged the phone but I had to tell her that I saw her remove the case properly (from the bottom end first) Nd that it wasn't a factor. I think the case side significantly held the front to the back & with it now off, the separation grew somewhat too...

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox