Will we ever be able to change the 'theme' in iOS 11?

camaroz1985

Trusted Member
Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
Not QUITE true - these are all stock Android or so damn near stock it works the same:

Google Pixel, Pixel XL, Nexus 5X, Nexus 6P
HTC 10
Motorola MotoZ, Moto G4
OnePlus 3T 5
ZTE Axon

And I'm sure there's more. You use one of these then pick up another it will not feel foreign I assure you.

BUT

I absolutely get your point. iOS has a consistent GUI along the whole iPhone line.

If you get an Android hanset with STOCK Android it is the same thing though.

I see what you are saying too, but the home screen of a Pixel and a G4 will not look the same unless you use a launcher of some sort. I had both at the same time, and thought because they both had stock Android the would be the same, but the Pixel launcher is not available to other devices. There were ways to get it, but it wasn't the same. Also it really bugged me how the settings menus were different, even when both were running on Nougat. It just makes it more difficult to find things, but I guess you get that when switch from an iPhone to an Android anyway. My point was you shouldn't have that difference when using the same OS. iOS and Windows are both very good at that, Android, not so much.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
While I don't EVER think Apple will get to the point that Android is with themes and custom ROMs and such, I CAN see them adding a couple selectable themes, such as a light and dark for example, or perhaps seasonal themes. But I don't expect the "wild west" that Android is! lol

And of course as we all know you sorta CAN have themes on iOS if you want to Jailbreak, NOT that I recommend that!

roystreet

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
Not QUITE true - these are all stock Android or so damn near stock it works the same:

BUT

I absolutely get your point. iOS has a consistent GUI along the whole iPhone line.

If you get an Android hanset with STOCK Android it is the same thing though.

I think that’s been the thinking from the beginning with Steve Jobs, make it consistent through the OS. That way it flows better, the experience is the same, it’s more fluid. ..and it’s much easier to help people learn the OS and help them solve problems when your screen works the same as mine.

I would use themes a lot on my Windows machines, but once I found the one I wanted, I rarely changed any aspect of it.

I honestly love the way iOS looks and wouldn’t really want to change it, but that’s just me.

anon(62000)

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
I customized my Galaxy S7 edge to oblivion and back when I first bought it. After a while I just reverted back to stock. I don't even think about that with my iPhone, nor do I care. I just want my phone to do the stuff it's supposed to do. It was fun for a week or two, then it just became a timesuck. Maybe it's just me, but theming is not a deal breaker.

camaroz1985

Trusted Member
Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
I customized my Galaxy S7 edge to oblivion and back when I first bought it. After a while I just reverted back to stock. I don't even think about that with my iPhone, nor do I care. I just want my phone to do the stuff it's supposed to do. It was fun for a week or two, then it just became a timesuck. Maybe it's just me, but theming is not a deal breaker.

I can agree with that. It would be nice to at least have the choice of light or dark though.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I'm really starting to think Apple doesn't want a dark mode/theme on their devices. In my honest opinion this could have already been a feature if Apple wanted it.

roystreet

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
Question...Did Apple ever say or elide to creating a dark mode theme? I see people talk about it, but I didn't of anything Apple said to make think it might be "coming to an iPhone near you"

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Question...Did Apple ever say or elide to creating a dark mode theme? I see people talk about it, but I didn't of anything Apple said to make think it might be "coming to an iPhone near you"

Nope, Apple never said that we would get a "dark theme". It's just something a lot of users was hoping for.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Re: iOS 11 still can't change theme?

It doesn’t add to the user experience. It’s a gimmick.
Too much themes only makes apps and the OS bigger and clunkier. iOS is awesome in managing its RAM resources and the lacking of themes is one of the reasons why.

Actually, that's not so. Allow me to play devils advocate for just a moment. ;)

Until I bought an iPhone, every phone I've had has been an Android. That's all I did with them is spend all of my extra time customizing the UI. Not only is it fun, but can help to make the usage experience a lot more enjoyable and you can get to your most used apps a lot faster without having to clutter up the screen. Even though I had to install several apps and use Photoshop to make custom images, none of my phones ever lagged or seemed clunky, not one single bit. It doesn't make the OS bigger when you consider that these images and fonts can be saved on a micro SD plugged into the phone. I always had a very smooth running device. However..... I happily gave all that up in exchange for faster security patches and OS updates regardless of how old my phone is. The iPhone is without a doubt much, much better in this regard. No matter how cluttered and ugly I think the iPhone homescreen looks, it is still in my humble opinion a superior device over Android and always will be.

Here's my previous Android. I totally recreated this theme by someone else in small graphics using Photoshop, and then reassembled it using a few apps. This was my favorite, since I love the beach so much.

Attachments

• BeachWalk.png
    BeachWalk.png
    671.3 KB · Views: 2

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
It's such a waste of time though. I found myself doing it too until I realized Android was just too.....busy for me, for lack of a better word. For the first time in a long time I'm not switching between phones, downloading another theme, or other such time wasters. Now my phone just works and does what I need it to do smoothly. JMHO.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
It's such a waste of time though. I found myself doing it too until I realized Android was just too.....busy for me, for lack of a better word. For the first time in a long time I'm not switching between phones, downloading another theme, or other such time wasters. Now my phone just works and does what I need it to do smoothly. JMHO.

I totally and completely agree. It filled a void for me at the time, though. I would not trade my iPhone for anything.

ShaneBunting

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
Android themes suck anyway. It's the software equivalent to having peeling, messy paper stickers on your laptop - just looks and mess and people must look at it and think "how does anybody think that looks good?!"

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73