Will IOS 11 allow you to download mp3s directly to your device through the new Files app?

Ssancheezy

Jun 14, 2017
Visit site
Current details online show examples of only documents and pictures being downloaded to apple device through Files app on IOS 11. I am curious about mp3 files being transferred from the cloud and downloaded to device through Files app.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I’m not sure about this.

I’m a stickler when it comes to music and I wouldn’t want to play them one by one. The native player in the Files app doesn’t support continuous play, therefore is not interesting to me.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Current details online show examples of only documents and pictures being downloaded to apple device through Files app on IOS 11. I am curious about mp3 files being transferred from the cloud and downloaded to device through Files app.

As long as you can select the share option and then choose save to iCloud Drive then yes.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
I was able to listen to a FLAC file (never before supported), and it said it downloaded but I dunno where it downloaded to. FLAC sounds much better than MP3, but unfortunately they're huge files.

Pavel_71

Jun 9, 2017
Visit site
There is no longer support for mp3 s. Some say that now NMp3 does not officially exist. It's like a gopher - it's there, but it's not like it.

evanking527

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
There is no longer support for mp3 s. Some say that now NMp3 does not officially exist. It's like a gopher - it's there, but it's not like it.

MP3 is going nowhere for now, since it is still king when it comes to the most used formats. Some of the things that were being said about MP3 being dead is because their patents expired. Their patents expiring basically means... their patents expired. That's about it. Companies no longer need a license to use MP3, so they can use it for free. That sounds even better for many companies, since with the patents still in use you had to pay to offer MP3 formats for your company. So it's not broken, it's just free, and you won't get patent infringement if you're a company and offer it. Apple Music and iTunes and Amazon Music and all the others will still offer MP3 files. They just won't be patented anymore. Otherwise they all would have moved away from that immediately if it suddenly died because the patent expired. But alas, no need to fear, the king of sound, MP3, is still here.

For now...

camaroz1985

Trusted Member
Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
Would be nice to be able to save mp3 or music files to the phone directly from online storage. I have all my music on OneDrive now, and sometimes it is nice to save files for offline listening, but I can do that with Groove Music, so I am fine with it.

camaroz1985

Trusted Member
Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
Apple has been supporting mp3 for a very long time now.
I don’t understand why’d you think otherwise.

You can download MP3 from cloud storage, and they will show up in your music? Admittedly I haven't tried that with iCloud Drive, but it doesn't work from OneDrive. OneDrive was one of the cloud services that was mentioned would be implemented into the Files app, so maybe that will change with iOS 11

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
You can download MP3 from cloud storage, and they will show up in your music? Admittedly I haven't tried that with iCloud Drive, but it doesn't work from OneDrive. OneDrive was one of the cloud services that was mentioned would be implemented into the Files app, so maybe that will change with iOS 11

No, it won’t appear in music. Only if you’re subscribed to music or using iTunes you will be able to add music to the Music.app.

camaroz1985

Trusted Member
Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
Are you using iOS 11 and have tried this? I think that is what the OP was hoping would be the case. I loathe iTunes and try not to use it when at all possible.

evanking527

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
Best way to get an MP3 file in the Music app on iPhone is by downloading it on your Mac, importing to iTunes, and syncing with your phone. Not the easiest way; hopefully it will get better in later updates. For now, SYC or SYC 2 is a good piece of Mac software to get music from Youtube or Soundcloud really easily.

dexterouz

Oct 2, 2015
Visit site
JetAudio app also playing all the music you have on your device. It also has equalizer too.
As far as File app is concerned, I think it can't be considered as a full-fledged file explorer but it's a good start :)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711