Remote App Install

anon(4697585)

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Hi All,

It may not have been something on the wish lists but I've always loved that you can remotely install an app from the Google Play Store.

I having this feature would, for me at least, be massive!

How often do I sit and watch a video on my iPhone and think "oh I need to install xxxxx on my phone" at which point I have to stop the video and install it or I have to create a reminder on my AW.

It also means I can install an app on my daughters iPhone 5s without giving her access to the App Store or having to remove the restrictions, install the app then add the restrictions again.

Anyone else want this kinda thing?

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
It’s not quite the same but if you have automatic downloads enabled for Apps in Settings > iTunes & AppStore you can download an app on one device and have it automatically installed on another device that is associated with the same Apple ID.

anon(4697585)

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Yeah thats not quite what I want. It s great feature if you want to keep things in sync but I don't as my iPhone is 'jack of all trades' for stuff and the iPad is task driven.

Have you ever used Android to see the remote install in action?

The only major difference between Apple and Google in this respect is that the Apple App Store is baked into iTunes whilst Google is web based so is much eaiser to do on an ad-hoc basis.
For Apple to do it I'd still need my Mac/Windows laptop so I can find the app I want :)
That is unless the move the App Store to the cloud.... *hopes*

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
That only download it to iTunes not to the device.

I want to issue a command to download from iTunes and have it install on my phone

That’s the automatic download feature in Settings > iTunes & AppStore.
If you enable that, installing in iTunes will also install it on any devices where that setting is enabled and associated with the same ID.
24acb9ebaf20da41a351761b5692464a.png

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
What's great about Google's Play Store is that you can do this from a web browser, so even with a Chromebook. You can't install iTunes on a Chromebook.

It's a nice feature and one that I hope Apple implements (from their iCloud web interface, for example.)

Last edited:

anon(4697585)

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site

anon(4697585)

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
I have done it every year since iOS 6.

I've also got a family member who works on one of the Apple dev teams and he has been pushing for it too.

bigtruck1369

Sep 14, 2015
Visit site
Hi All,

It may not have been something on the wish lists but I've always loved that you can remotely install an app from the Google Play Store.

I having this feature would, for me at least, be massive!

How often do I sit and watch a video on my iPhone and think "oh I need to install xxxxx on my phone" at which point I have to stop the video and install it or I have to create a reminder on my AW.

It also means I can install an app on my daughters iPhone 5s without giving her access to the App Store or having to remove the restrictions, install the app then add the restrictions again.

Anyone else want this kinda thing?

I do! Isn't this the kind of thing that you can do with MDM stuff like Jamf? I've been thinking about looking into this one.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh