IOS 11 As Daily Driver

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Are there changes on the camera app? is it better? there's many bugs on iphone 6s?

I haven’t noticed any changes, but then again, I take simple photos, and therefore, all I can tell you is that whenever I opt to take a photo with the native Camera app in iOS 11, it works every time without a problem.

blueeyes2die4

Jun 25, 2016
Visit site
I haven’t noticed any changes, but then again, I take simple photos, and therefore, all I can tell you is that whenever I opt to take a photo with the native Camera app in iOS 11, it works every time without a problem.

Quick question. Can a fresh install be done without a dev account?

blueeyes2die4

Jun 25, 2016
Visit site
Yes, but you’ll need the actual .ipsw file for the iOS version you want to install. Typically, that file has to be downloaded from a dev account.

Ok got you. I found a website that has the ipsw file downloads but it was only one file for iPhone 7 Plus so I thought it was sketchy. Usually it is one file for gsm and one for global.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Yes. Either CTRL + restore or OPTION + restore. I always forget which one. Furthermore, it should work whether you are currently on the beta or not.

combi06

Dec 28, 2015
Visit site
I am also getting notifications on iPad noe, but very unstable. Sometimes they come through, and sometimes the screen light up, but nothing more. On iPhone nothing happens. Thanks for the tip. Also using Spark until it works again.

Oh man..my Spark mail stopped responding for a few days now. It receives new emails and even notifies me but when I go to read the email it just hangs. This is my main email client for all my accounts so this is a bummer. Back to Outlook until that bug gets squashed

combi06

Dec 28, 2015
Visit site
After the initial OTA install, I found iOS 11 to be solid with sluggishness here and there, but after I did a clean install, dude, this baby flies....

Would you mind sharing how the Clean Install works? Is it just Reset to Factory? What OS would it come up with when it boots up?

Thank you

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Ok got you. I found a website that has the ipsw file downloads but it was only one file for iPhone 7 Plus so I thought it was sketchy. Usually it is one file for gsm and one for global.

Full disclosure, I only said no because I didn’t want to bring you on ideas to download it.

Sure there are ways to get them, but I, as an ambassador, have only your best interest at heart. I didn’t want you to brick your device just because I said you could download it elsewhere, even without giving a link.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Would you mind sharing how the Clean Install works? Is it just Reset to Factory? What OS would it come up with when it boots up?

Thank you

If you were to simply do a clean install, the latest “official” iOS version will be installed onto your device. If you had the .ipsw file for a specific iOS version (iOS 11, for example), that is the version that would get installed, provided you direct iTunes to install it. With that in mind, my definition of a clean install is putting the device in DFU mode so that iTunes can download and install a fresh full copy of iOS. After the installation of iOS, you can choose to restore from a backup or set it up as a new device. Since you’ve had iTunes install a fresh copy of iOS, why risk corrupting it with a backup? I recommend you set up the device as new.

Directions:
1. Put the device in DFU mode. DFU = Device Firmware Upgrade.
https://www.theiphonewiki.com/wiki/DFU_Mode

2. Connect the device to your computer and then initiate the computer’s iTunes app, preferably the latest version.

3. When iTunes detect the device in “recovery”, select one of the following:
A. If you simply want to do a clean install of the latest official iOS version for your device, select “restore and update”.
B. If you’ve downloaded the .ipsw file for a specific iOS version, select CTRL + restore or OPTION + restore (I forget which one) and then direct iTunes to the .ipsw file to be installed.

4. When the process is complete, you will be met with the welcome screen. Simply go through the prompts like you did when you set up your device for the very first time.

blueeyes2die4

Jun 25, 2016
Visit site
Full disclosure, I only said no because I didn’t want to bring you on ideas to download it.

Sure there are ways to get them, but I, as an ambassador, have only your best interest at heart. I didn’t want you to brick your device just because I said you could download it elsewhere, even without giving a link.

Completely understandable. I am not new to this however just a little rusty lol. Thank you for your help.

combi06

Dec 28, 2015
Visit site
If you were to simply do a clean install, the latest “official” iOS version will be installed onto your device. If you had the .ipsw file for a specific iOS version (iOS 11, for example), that is the version that would get installed, provided you direct iTunes to install it. With that in mind, my definition of a clean install is putting the device in DFU mode so that iTunes can download and install a fresh full copy of iOS. After the installation of iOS, you can choose to restore from a backup or set it up as a new device. Since you’ve had iTunes install a fresh copy of iOS, why risk corrupting it with a backup? I recommend you set up the device as new.

Directions:
1. Put the device in DFU mode. DFU = Device Firmware Upgrade.
https://www.theiphonewiki.com/wiki/DFU_Mode

2. Connect the device to your computer and then initiate the computer’s iTunes app, preferably the latest version.

3. When iTunes detect the device in “recovery”, select one of the following:
A. If you simply want to do a clean install of the latest official iOS version for your device, select “restore and update”.
B. If you’ve downloaded the .ipsw file for a specific iOS version, select CTRL + restore or OPTION + restore (I forget which one) and then direct iTunes to the .ipsw file to be installed.

4. When the process is complete, you will be met with the welcome screen. Simply go through the prompts like you did when you set up your device for the very first time.

Great info! Thanks a lot for the reply.

Go Canes!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro