IOS 11 As Daily Driver

213ninja

Jun 1, 2015
Visit site
I’m not going to try to educate anyone on what a beta is or what the risks are.

Instead I’ll simply answer the question as asked.

As a daily driver for me, it works. I have a hundred apps or so and they all work fine.

The only issues I have had are a few apps randomly closed and the battery drain is kinda brutal. This is also causing the phone to heat up. I notice it particularly when Facebook is running.

I consider myself a power user and use my [only] phone professionally and personally. But, I have a charger at home, at the office, and in my car. And if I really need it, a battery pack...so the more frequent charging is a small price to pay for me to enjoy iOS11.

YMMV.

Truman82

Mar 29, 2015
Visit site
I have installed always the public beta "dirty" and haven't had any problems. So I came to think that is the dev beta different somehow?

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Fresh install made a huge difference for me after doing it on Monday. Hadn’t done a fresh install since getting the phone in October.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Oh man..my Spark mail stopped responding for a few days now. It receives new emails and even notifies me but when I go to read the email it just hangs. This is my main email client for all my accounts so this is a bummer. Back to Outlook until that bug gets squashed

Not having any issues with Spark here :)

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I did a fresh install and OMG the difference is like night and day. Doesn’t even feel like a beta honestly. I really appreciate your help.

You’re very welcome, and now you understand why I’m such a big fan of restoring as new....:)

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Fresh install made a huge difference for me after doing it on Monday. Hadn’t done a fresh install since getting the phone in October.

It can be an inconvenience, but it’s almost always worth it.....:)

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
It can be an inconvenience, but it’s almost always worth it.....:)

Because i have no more than 50 downloaded apps it’s a little less inconvenient than it would be for some. Still took some time to get back up and running and signed into everything. Probably would be easier if I used iTunes more to keep all my apps updated.

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
Same, wipe and setup as new and getting apps and screens setup takes a little over an hour. Apps, login's and everything downloaded, photos etc, normally take around 2 + hours.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
"the time"? What do you mean? It takes hours to do it?

Cheers
In addition to what’s already been stated, it may not take you that long to get things set up. I mean, if you just go through the setup prompts, have only an iCloud email account, and just reinstall your purchased apps, it may not take you long at all. Having said that, if you’re like many of us who are viewed as techies, and you go through each and every settings, install/reinstall your apps, put the home screens in a certain way, have multiple email accounts, etc., then yeah, it may take you a couple of hours. Still, it’s worth it, in my opinion. I’ve been doing this for so long that it’s not a big deal to me at all.

Last edited:

calebt

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
In addition a to what’s already been stated, it may not take you that long to get things set up. I mean, if you just go through the setup prompts, have only an iCloud email account, and just reinstall your purchased apps, it may not take you long at all. Having said that, if you’re like many of us who are viewed as techies, and you go through each and every settings, install/reinstall your apps, put the home screens in a certain way, have multiple email accounts, etc., then yeah, it may take you a couple of hours. Still, it’s worth it, in my opinion. I’ve been doing this for so long that it’s not a big deal to me at all.

I tried being lazy with this iOS 11 beta and instead of a few hours, I had a few days of aggravation.

craigrn16

Jun 8, 2015
Visit site
I had it installed from day 1 and the Beta ran well for me. Other than being slow which is to be expected I had no issues with the OS itself. Battery life was slightly less for me but nothing crazy. The only reason I reverted back to 10.x today is because Tunein Radio one of my favorite apps force closes on my phone. I doubt the developer is going to update anytime soon so I went back in the mean time. I'll probably hop back on board with the release of Beta 2. By the way I hate the new notification system in IOS 11. I mean why would you turn the lock screen into a notification shade. Not feeling that Apple.

blueeyes2die4

Jun 25, 2016
Visit site
4414ff8713b1480002264a18a58accdb.png

Quick update. This is my battery today after doing a clean install last night. My phone is just as fast as 10.3.2 now also.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
It's still in beta. I've always felt that if something was good enough for a daily driver, Apple would release it officially. Everyone's mileage will vary.

vanko987

Jun 13, 2017
Visit site
It works great on newer devices like the iPhone 7, but the older the device, the slower it will be. It can be very laggy on the iPhone 6

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2