So there IS a dark mode they didn't discuss?

prithvi64

Oct 12, 2016
Visit site
Intelligent Invert mode is working good for iOS apps and very weird and annoying on third party like Twitter, FB etc. Particularly "pics" are not properly done in third party apps.

dexterouz

Oct 2, 2015
Visit site
Invent mode will be different than the dark mode.
Dark mode needs a lot of UI changes manually and I am sure Apple is working on it but will only release once everything is almost perfect including an option in XCode for developers too, if it's not implemented yet :)

Jun 14, 2017
Visit site
It's not officially a dark mode, it's a modification on the accessibility function that inverts colors but the smart part comes in the sense that it ignores images so that people who need inverted colors for vision needs can still enjoy photos and videos that don't look like negatives.

Tenth_Region

Jun 19, 2017
Visit site
The dark mode is yes the invert smart mode yet. It isn’t good if you are watching videos or using anything outside of messaging app. Other apps the colors go completely negative

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
Here's what regular "invert colors" looks like when turned on while using the iMore app, with its' dark theme turned on:

6d0e7e6abf63fd71f4f63326afc4e5e1.jpg

Compared to without invert colors:

9c5c55b22c0d001371df8d2ef68f1af9.png

Last edited:

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Does Dark Mode can help save the battery life or its just cosmetic ?

There’s no such thing as dark mode, but there is an invert colors setting in Accessibility that can give the impression of a “dark mode”.

As far as battery life, it probably wouldn’t make too much of an impact on currently available devices. That all can change if Apple switches to OLED in the fall.

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
Does Dark Mode can help save the battery life or its just cosmetic ?
As Rob said, it unfortunately won't make much difference because all current iPhones use IPS LCD displays. Which means, it doesn't have the ability to turn off individual pixels if the background colour is completely black. 😃 So for the moment, it's just helping your eyes in low lighting conditions.

Hopefully with the new iPhones coming out we can see some AMOLED goodness and use this 'Dark Theme' in IOS 11.

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
I don't think Apple was intentions for a dark mode with iOS 11. Again it's usable for those that need that feature for sight.

213ninja

Jun 1, 2015
Visit site
I don't think Apple was intentions for a dark mode with iOS 11. Again it's usable for those that need that feature for sight.

everyone can benefit from this feature. a darker screen in dim light reduces eye strain. i'm not implying its medically necessary for everyone, but certainly of benefit to a large group of users.

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
Right but that is why it's not all completely "dark". just seems peoples intentions were that Apple half baked it. but yet it was not part of the recipe anyways.

213ninja

Jun 1, 2015
Visit site
Right but that is why it's not all completely "dark". just seems peoples intentions were that Apple half baked it. but yet it was not part of the recipe anyways.

gotcha. i agree it's not for eye candy. i will certainly use it once fully baked and third party apps are leveraging it.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2