iOS 11 Dev Beta 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I finally have iOS 11 dev beta 1 installed on my iPhone 7, and thus far, it's stable. I enjoy the look of the new Control panel, but the pull down notification screen displays my lock screen wallpaper. I was at work during the keynote so I'm not sure what's what. In regard to the native Mail app, I like how the mailbox name is enlarged. The redesigned calculator looks awesome, in my opinion. The new look of the App Store is quite nice, as well. I take it that iCloud Drive app is now displayed as the "Files" app? Never mind. I can see the iCloud Drive within the Files app. Anyway, so far so good running iOS 11.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I’m running it and so far I like it. It feels a little bit sluggish but that’s because there is still a lot indexing to be done on the background. I haven’t locked my iPhone since the keynote, so after a good nights sleep it will have had all the time to adjust to iOS 11.

Overall, I’m digging this new iOS.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I’m running it and so far I like it. It feels a little bit sluggish but that’s because there is still a lot indexing to be done on the background. I haven’t locked my iPhone since the keynote, so after a good nights sleep it will have had all the time to adjust to iOS 11.

Overall, I’m digging this new iOS.

Have you tried taking a screenshot yet? The screenshot appears in the bottom left corner of the home screen allowing you to edit and save without switching to the Photos app. That’s awesome!

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Have you tried taking a screenshot yet? The screenshot appears in the bottom left corner of the home screen allowing you to edit and save without switching to the Photos app. That’s awesome!

Yes, I noticed. But I feel like they missed an opportunity there wherein you simply could drag the screenshot to an open app or conversation on iMessage and drop it there. Now you have to choose share anyway to send it.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I noticed. But I feel like they missed an opportunity there wherein you simply could drag the screenshot to an open app or conversation on iMessage and drop it there. Now you have to choose share anyway to send it.
I agree, but it's still a nifty little feature as-is...:)...Hopefully, they'll incorporate the drag and drop option with it before the official release this fall.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
It’s definitely sluggish. But not surprised for a beta 1. It’s stable enough but would say you won’t notice issues. There is a long list in the release notes of problemed areas. Been running it since the moment it dropped.

combi06

Dec 28, 2015
Visit site
It’s definitely sluggish. But not surprised for a beta 1. It’s stable enough but would say you won’t notice issues. There is a long list in the release notes of problemed areas. Been running it since the moment it dropped.

Installing as we speak...fingers crossed

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

I agree that it's sluggish, but not enough to annoy. ALL of my installed 3rd-party apps work, and my battery life is still great. I updated OTA, but I will do a clean install this coming weekend. For a first beta, it's quite stable on my iPhone, thankfully.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I agree that it's sluggish, but not enough to annoy. ALL of my installed 3rd-party apps work, and my battery life is still great. I updated OTA, but I will do a clean install this coming weekend. For a first beta, it's quite stable on my iPhone, thankfully.

Yeah thankfully battery seems stable. That is usually an issue with a beta 1. Usually the sluggishness is resolved with beta 2 or 3.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Is it me or does the News app appear a little cleaner, for lack of a better term?

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
There is one app to include all your cloud storage apps. Other files are still not accessible. But it sure is an improvement in the right direction.
So there isn't really and change other than renaming the iCloud Drive app to Files, right?

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
So there isn't really and change other than renaming the iCloud Drive app to Files, right?

Give it some time. After most apps have been updated, I’m sure they’ll appear in the Files app so you can access their files within it.

DropBox, Google Drive and OneDrive and Box aren’t still there, while they should.

Please notice that developers just gained access to this beta the same time we did.
But they will not release any updates for iOS 11 until it becomes officially available for everybody.

Being a beta tester, that’s a pain I have learned to live with.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
Give it some time. After most apps have been updated, I’m sure they’ll appear in the Files app so you can access their files within it.

DropBox, Google Drive and OneDrive and Box aren’t still there, while they should.

Please notice that developers just gained access to this beta the same time we did.
But they will not release any updates for iOS 11 until it becomes officially available for everybody.

Being a beta tester, that’s a pain I have learned to live with.
Thanks! I'm trying to decide if I'm going to install the iOS 11 beta or not.

dejanh

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
Type to Siri is here, but it is either type or speak, not both. Big miss. No dark mode. No ability to set default apps. No cross-platform iMessage. Basically no improvements to the below-average stock email app. No gestures on keyboard.

Task switching on iPhone got worse. No more 3D touch on the edge to expand recent apps. Most 3D touch interactions are gone. What happened? Was I like the only person to use this and other 3D Touch features? I can't even see the home screen as a card in the task switcher. You either have to aim for a sliver of blank space, or press the home button.

Not liking the trend here at all. Usability seems to have actually gone down. Too much button clicking. Just so I am not a Negative Nancy, I do like where Apple is going with the control center.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox