Do Not Disturb While Driving

Chemy JMHT

VR ******
Sep 9, 2016
Visit site
From the first message of this thread I was only thinking there two option that make me think it's mandatory to answer right away:

1. You are a Taxi driver and people is requesting your services, and.

2. You are a rally driver and the information is given by text and calls

LOL

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
From the first message of this thread I was only thinking there two option that make me think it's mandatory to answer right away:

1. You are a Taxi driver and people is requesting your services, and.

2. You are a rally driver and the information is given by text and calls

LOL

You’re in the car and going to pick up someone, but instead of location A, they are at location B and you need to know that because when you answer the call when your at location A, you could have saved yourself 120 miles of rerouting to location B.

You’re in the car and your employer calls you: you can stay at home.

You’re in the car and going to a customer/client. Your employer calls you to let you know the appointment is cancelled for whatever reason.

You are in your car and your kid gets sick in class, you need to get to the ER, pronto.

You are in the car and your wife calls. Her water just broke.

Shall I continue?? There are millions of reasons to answer a phone call. Sometimes holding it to your ear, sometimes using hands free. Depending on the situation.

Chemy JMHT

VR ******
Sep 9, 2016
Visit site
You’re in the car and going to pick up someone, but instead of location A, they are at location B and you need to know that because when you answer the call when your at location A, you could have saved yourself 120 miles of rerouting to location B.

You’re in the car and your employer calls you: you can stay at home.

You’re in the car and going to a customer/client. Your employer calls you to let you know the appointment is cancelled for whatever reason.

You are in your car and your kid gets sick in class, you need to get to the ER, pronto.

You are in the car and your wife calls. Her water just broke.

Shall I continue?? There are millions of reasons to answer a phone call. Sometimes holding it to your ear, sometimes using hands free. Depending on the situation.

LOL

Please continue ;)

And all of that happen while you were driving over a bridge so you weren't able to pull over hahaha.

lol

EDIT:

and it happens all days everyday hahahaha

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
LOL

Please continue ;)

And all of that happen while you were driving over a bridge so you weren't able to pull over hahaha.

lol

EDIT:

and it happens all days everyday hahahaha

Why would you pull over? It’s not a social call that’s gonna last hours. Not everybody needs to be babied by law and people that even don’t have a drivers license. There are many many situations in which you can perfectly have a short phone call behind the wheels. It is your own responsibility to analyze the traffic you’re in and to choose between answering and not answering a call.

Chemy JMHT

VR ******
Sep 9, 2016
Visit site
Why would you pull over? It’s not a social call that’s gonna last hours. Not everybody needs to be babied by law and people that even don’t have a drivers license. There are many many situations in which you can perfectly have a short phone call behind the wheels. It is your own responsibility to analyze the traffic you’re in and to choose between answering and not answering a call.

You didn't continue (and I even said "please") lol.

Well I'm not in a hurry, I can pull over, also I can follow the rules, that's not a problem.

It won't happen to me everyday anyways, at least that MY situation as I stated in my first answer:

...that make ME think it's...

I'm sorry that it looks like you are living a more complicated live than mine. LOL

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
You didn't continue (and I even said "please") lol.

Well I'm not in a hurry, I can pull over, also I can follow the rules, that's not a problem.

It won't happen to me everyday anyways, at least that MY situation as I stated in my first answer:

I'm sorry that it looks like you are living a more complicated live than mine. LOL

You are obviously missing the point of this thread.

It’s about leaving the ability to answer a phone call to the driver instead of completely blocking any and all calls. It doesn’t matter if it happens every day or once in a lifetime if it’s the latter.

Chemy JMHT

VR ******
Sep 9, 2016
Visit site
I totally got it, I also read the comments and suggestions and basically the problem is solved, options were given.

That's why I also made a kind of joke about it, even when looks like someone didn't got I was joking about it and continued joking about it, because we are here to bring a answers and some fun, not bad attitude.

Even if you were trying to correct me for the joke I made about how I imagined myself in that situation, I feel like I touched a nerve or something, sorry if this is too sensitive man, it's just a comment in a forum where are about 1000 comments daily, relax.

Sorry again man.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Good thing that it's not a mandatory feature then.

And I really hope that it will never come to that.

There are studies saying that handsfree calling is as distracting as calling with a handheld to your ears. But none of these studies mention the use of car stereos, navigation system and such.
It’s like they are on crusade against mobile devices in general in traffic. Those studies have lost their credibility in my eyes. It’s almost like it’s written by people with tinfoil hats.

bigtruck1369

Sep 14, 2015
Visit site
From what I understand, yes, you can opt out. I believe there is also a White List that you can use to add individuals that bypass Do Not Disturb?

Based on what they presented in the keynote, I think this feature is Opt-In, rather than Opt-out. They described getting a notification after the phone detects you've been in a car recommending you turn it on.

josepilot81

Sep 11, 2014
Visit site
I think this is a nice feature but most of the people will use it just like Siri (show to other and little more) I say again maybe not you but like "most" of the normal not tech lovers like us. I think the majority just prefer look at a glance and decide not let the phone send messages to everyone without even know who your phone is messaging with. It could be even a privacy issue telling other that you're on the road and not at home,work etc....

cactuspete23

Jun 6, 2017
Visit site
To prevent accidents, All phones should be locked while driving. But usage of a phone, especially by a rear seat passenger should not affect driver attention? Even hands free phones take driver attention away from the road... This is where technology can cause safety problems...

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
To prevent accidents, All phones should be locked while driving. But usage of a phone, especially by a rear seat passenger should not affect driver attention? Even hands free phones take driver attention away from the road... This is where technology can cause safety problems...

I’d rather have the ability to enable and disable that feature myself. As I said before, there are many situations wherein it’s perfectly safe to operate your mobile phone for a few seconds. This of course with taking safety serious.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I wonder if it's just for people trying to text/call and drive with the iPhone. Can anyone confirm if it only does dnd to the phone and not to CarPlay enabled devices?

I don't think that it can be officially confirmed yet, because the feature is not yet available on the developer beta, but Craig Federighi specifically mentioned that this feature was designed for people who do not use CarPlay - so I suspect that CarPlay will continue to work as before.

IuliaGz

Jun 19, 2017
Visit site
when i am driving i am turning off all calls and other phone notifications. u have to stay focused on the read for obvious reasons. ur life is more important then some SMS or ur job

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods