Do Not Disturb While Driving

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Frankly I think this is the best feature coming to the iPhone. I love my phone, but driving is the wrong time to reply to messages. I would even be in favor of more restrictions while driving to discourage phone use in the car.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Frankly I think this is the best feature coming to the iPhone. I love my phone, but driving is the wrong time to reply to messages. I would even be in favor of more restrictions while driving to discourage phone use in the car.

That also entails not texting or driving while waiting at a traffic light or in traffic with no movement, on a long straight road with few to none cars around you without any intersection coming soon.

I can sum up dozens of occasions where it’s perfectly safe to do more then cramped up forcing focusing on merely the road ahead of you.
Believe me, on long trips it’s better to be distracted once in a while. A dull moment in traffic is way more dangerous than looking away from the road for 2 to 3 seconds.

The only times I don’t even scratch my nose in traffic is while driving in the city and when doing more than 120mph on the Autobahn.

Last edited:

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
So will this work if I drive an older model car that does not have bluetooth capability?

During the keynote they said that it can also be enabled by detecting how fast you are moving (using WiFi doppler effect to measure your movement.) So, connecting to a know BT automobile is one signal, but movement at a particular speed is another.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
That also entails not texting or driving while waiting at a traffic light or in traffic with no movement, on a long straight road with few to none cars around you without any intersection coming soon.

I know that in my state, which has a law that disallows using a handheld device while driving, using the device at a stoplight is also a violation. And as somebody who regularly sits behind some ***** who doesn't move for several seconds when the light changes because they are fiddling with their phone and not paying attention, and as somebody who regularly runs on roads that are very straight and sees people fiddling with their phones while they are driving, I say let's hope this catches on.

I could see some state making it mandatory, as a matter of fact.

Last edited:

camaroz1985

Trusted Member
Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
I can agree that physically holding your phone and texting is not safe (no matter how straight or empty the road is), but I have no issue with voice operation (like with CarPlay). Having DNDWD is a good option for those that cannot be bothered or do not want to be bothered while driving, but it should not be mandatory, and it does seem like it is an option in iOS 11.

I used this feature when it was introduced on Windows Phone several years ago. It is good to see it make its way to iOS.

Nophix

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Ok, I'm looking to jump back on iPhone this weekend after a brief 3 month window going from my 6S to a GS7 Edge.

Before I grab the 7 Plus instead of the GS8, I want to make sure I'm understanding this correct.

I can in fact permanently disable this DNDWD feature.

I work in trucking, and my phone is Bluetooth connected to my stereo all day. I may use it to watch a movie while in a dock loading and listen to it over the stereo, but more critically, I'll get calls or notifications on route updates and construction closures all day long. If those are blocked, I won't know to pull over and address them, and could be 2 hours past before I make my next stop.

Averaging 10 plus stops a day over a huge chunk of the state, this is a total no go for me.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I can in fact permanently disable this DNDWD feature.

As I understood it from the keynote, either at initial setup or after your first drive, the phone prompts if you'd like to turn the feature on. I don't think you have to disable anything - I think it is off by default until you activate it.

What I wish Apple would do instead is to steal a page from Android and activate the Car Play home whenever it senses that you are driving, so you have all of the benefits of Car Play - large touch targets in particular.

Pacha69

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
I have BT in my car and no apple car play, iphone (IOS 11 beta 1) is connected with BT in my car and the DNDWD feature is not working.

Pacha69

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
@doogald, you're right. This will work in later betas...

iOS 11.0 Beta Release Notes:

Do Not Disturb
• Do Not Disturb While Driving is not enabled in this beta. (32232545)

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
Firstly, nice feature name there, Apple! ;)

It's these types of features that make me love IOS that little bit more. My mom has always been very bad with leaving her phone alone while driving and as soon as it makes a noise she tries to answer a call or reply to a text at a robot (Traffic light).

So for her, this will be a great feature to have and I will definitely make sure it's turned on and functioning well 😃 it's really important to stay safe on the roads and I think this feature will help that.

We are always so connected to our phones but sometimes it's important to have that disconnect for a couple minutes. 😃

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice