Swiftkey or iOS keyboard?

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I actually use both, but I favor the SwiftKey keyboard. I've tried several third party keyboards, but always seem to return to the Stock and SwiftKey keyboards.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I once used Swiftly on Android, but now I won't use anything but stock because I don't want to share what I type with a company that may not be able to secure it. The stock keyboard is more than good enough for me.

So you trust employees at Apple to see what you type, but not SwiftKey? I trust SwiftKey just as much, if not more, as Apple or Google. Besides, the keyboard still reverts to stock for important info like passwords. 3rd party keyboards have been around since the beginning of iOS 8. I haven't heard of one instance of keyboard security breach. I've given 21 apps access to my contacts, 151 access to my photos, 23 access to my microphone, 57 to my camera, and 14 for the keyboard. I trust them all.

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
I'm always a stock person. I almost feel like I'm cheating on my OS if I start using another keyboard haha. Also, I'm spending $3+ on something that could be free 😃

Swiftkey is nice because it has a lot of settings and you can customise quite of lot. Obviously supports a lot of languages but the IOS keyboard does that to.

I think most people get it for its prediction system and the first thing I mentioned but stock keyboard for me.

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
Stock. I use the Google keyboard on my Nexus 6p (which is a great keyboard in my opinion), but when I go back to the iPhone its stock keyboard just feels like home ...

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I'm always a stock person. I almost feel like I'm cheating on my OS if I start using another keyboard haha. Also, I'm spending $3+ on something that could be free

Swiftkey is nice because it has a lot of settings and you can customise quite of lot. Obviously supports a lot of languages but the IOS keyboard does that to.

I think most people get it for its prediction system and the first thing I mentioned but stock keyboard for me.

The predictive is what I like about SwiftKey. I can type 2 characters of any one of my 7 email addresses, and it shows up. Stock won't do that.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
So you trust employees at Apple to see what you type, but not SwiftKey?
I trust Apple more than Microsoft for ongoing data security, yes. I know that the risk is low, but Apple seems to fight more for proper encryption and security more than Microsoft does, IMO.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
BTW, it's not employees at Apple or Microsoft that I trust or don't trust. Are their systems secure from break in? (Probably, but at this point, I'm not sure how integrated SwiftKey is into Microsoft. Are the servers that collect the data actually still using SwiftKey's original systems, or have they been integrated into Microsoft operating centers?) And it's not just passwords that I want secured. I prefer that the things that I type, as I type them, are not uploaded in order to provide better prediction. Apple's predictions are good enough for me without them being uploaded to Apple's servers as I type.

That's my choice. You are, of course, free to make your own risk/reward decisions.

libra89

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
I don't use the diction thing, and coming from platforms where I can swipe/jump makes using keyboards with that option a no-brainer for me.
SwiftKey is ok but I love WordFlow (Shame on MS for not allowing it to be available everywhere).

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
iOS keyboard is the best native keyboard that I have used. Tried many third party ones but always go back in two or three days

metalchick719

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
I used to use SwiftKey, but then I ditched it when Word Flow became available for iOS. That's my go-to keyboard, although it's sometimes annoying. It's definitely better on Windows Phone than iOS. It's generally okay, but there are too many dumb typos on iOS every now and then. Still, I prefer Word Flow to SwiftKey because I would rather swipe to text or email.

Dealz417

Nov 21, 2016
Visit site
I used Swiftkey on Android, iPhone 7+ is my first iPhone and I initially tried Swiftkey but after a week or so went back to the stock iOS Keyboard which I feel works well.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I used to use SwiftKey, but then I ditched it when Word Flow became available for iOS. That's my go-to keyboard, although it's sometimes annoying. It's definitely better on Windows Phone than iOS. It's generally okay, but there are too many dumb typos on iOS every now and then. Still, I prefer Word Flow to SwiftKey because I would rather swipe to text or email.

What makes Word Flow's swipe better than SwiftKey's? I generally don't swipe to text as it slows me down, I am curious how different swipe keyboards differ though.

TheRandomDealio

Apr 13, 2017
Visit site
I used Swiftkey on Android, iPhone 7+ is my first iPhone and I initially tried Swiftkey but after a week or so went back to the stock iOS Keyboard which I feel works well.

That sounds about like me. I used a third party keyboard when I was using an Android phone and I attempted the same when I first switched to iOS (iPhone 6) but it just didn't feel like a seamless experience across the OS and apps.

I use diction and for things like my email addresses that I type regularly...I just go in and add text replacements.

Dealz417

Nov 21, 2016
Visit site
That sounds about like me. I used a third party keyboard when I was using an Android phone and I attempted the same when I first switched to iOS (iPhone 6) but it just didn't feel like a seamless experience across the OS and apps.

I use diction and for things like my email addresses that I type regularly...I just go in and add text replacements.

I have to agree, the experience didn't feel seamless. iirc there was several times where the stock iOS keyboard would pop up even though the Swiftkey keyboard was selected as default.

I'm sure I remember there was a way to fix that but even after I did that the iOS keyboard still made an appearance.

metalchick719

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
What makes Word Flow's swipe better than SwiftKey's? I generally don't swipe to text as it slows me down, I am curious how different swipe keyboards differ though.

I think overall it's a little smoother and more accurate, but I'm also very used to it because I used Windows Phone for 3 years. It's definitely not as polished for iOS as it is for Windows, though.

evanking527

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
I’ve used SwiftKey before, and while searching for good 3rd party keyboards, I found one of the most customizable, called Nintype. It can use both typing and sliding within each word, with optional word prediction, autocorrect, and the looks and colors.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR