iOS vs the competition

JobSteves

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I've been a smartphone enthusiast since 2011. That was when I got my my first smartphone and knowing nothing about them, in my mind it was get the iPhone that looks amazing that everyone I know has or get the ugly as sin Galaxy S3. That was it in my mind for a good smartphone. So I got an iPhone.

Jump forward to 2017 and I've had multiple windows phones, Androids (everything from a nexus 4, to an HTC m7, to a Motorola DROID ULTRA, and my ex had a galaxy s4) and a while back I've basically never even thought about getting a non iOS device as my daily driver. Why have I done this? Well there are a couple of a reasons. I'll try and state the reasons from most to least important. And these are just my opinions.

So first of all it's just that iOS will work the same 99% of the time. Meaning no matter what device you get, iOS will run smoothly, be fast and snappy, be lag free 98% of the time for however long you have your device. Now if you upgrade the software on older hardware it may have some hiccups but if you ran the closest OS to when your device came out that's stable (meaning that if you have a 6 for example and ios8 was crap but iOS 8.0.2 was the first update that was basically bug free then stay on that) for the whole time you kept your device, it'll fair better than any Android doing this. Maybe nexus'/the pixel will be good but take Samsung for example. Even 6 months after release my friend's galaxy s7 feels slower and more sluggish overall than when it wasn't brand new. This has never happ no to me with iOS.

Second is battery life. Every time Apple releases a new phone and I think about getting it (even if I know deep down I won't), battery life is never something I feel like I will never be sacrificing. Now if you (anyone in general) went from say an iPhone 6+ to a 7 obviously battery life will suffer but I don't think in the future the battery between a 7 and an 8, 8 vs 9, 9 vs 10 etc... will ever really be much worse. Now this is obviously because of two things. Apple makes the software and hardware so it can be opmtimzed especially since Apple makes its own SOC unlike Android where every brand has different hardware AND Their own software. The second is that they don't put in displays with crazy high pixel density and at my normal viewing distance I've never thought that a 4.7 inch iPhone with barely a 720p screen has never seemed not sharp enough and the battery life I get is more than worth it. Especially since any iPhone with a 5"+ screen in the current form factor is just too damn big.

Third is the camera. I like knowing that when Apple releases a new phone it will always be able to take a super fast, super good photo 99.9% of the time. The best photos on a smartphone? That is debatable but the pics from an iPhone in good lighting will almost always be much better than average.

Now some people will be more than willing to put up with the negatives of Android in order to have the choice of features each android phone has (HTC used to have Boomsound, Samsung's infinity display, motorola's attachments etc...) or just the things Android does different than iOS general like the ease of use of their file system, the customization, Android's notifications etc... but for me, if I'm buying a expensive phone and am going to use it everyday, I just want a phone that can last, has a good camera, and will be snappy for the duration that I have the device.

However I will say that while I actually love Apple's design language for the most part (**** the stock podcast app though lol), every time I see material design I drool a little.

Oh and I forgot to add that I like being able to update the software as soon as Apple releases it.

Phew. Sorry for this long winded reply but I hope it is helpful.

no home screen widgets,

I don't understand this. I mean on Andriod you literally have to be on the home screen in order to see your widgets. On iOS you can see thm no matter what app you're in. And say on Android you had a widget on a third home screen. You'd have to go home and swipe twice where as on iOS you'd just have to go homget and swipe over once.

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
Hey @kaktus1389, always nice to see people from other sites. The first thing, which I think is important to say is that IOS isn't 'superior' than any other OS. It's just different and provides different features that may appeal to more people :)

The first thing that stands out for me is performance and speed. Everything is fluid and apps load really quickly.

I like having less than 1 million settings available to me. While some customization is nice, keeping things simple is sometimes better ??????

The next would be support. Apple like support their devices for as long as possible and it's so nice to have a 3+ year old phone and you still get all the latest software.

The last thing would be how nicely the iPhone works with the MacBook Pro and iPad. So it's a combination of all these things and more which make it a great OS but it's definitely not without its draw back. ??????

Last edited:

kaktus1389

May 12, 2017
Visit site
Thank you all for your replies!
I will need some clarification though, are there any app compatibility issues between iOS versions or the OS version doesn't have anything to do with the apps?

I know that Android has (or at least used to have when I was on Android - Froyo lol) limitations for OS upgrades and for app compatibility. Windows 10 Mobile can run Windows Phone 8.1 apps but it doesn't work vice versa.

Also, if you were to buy an iPhone today, which one would you buy and why?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Thank you all for your replies!
On behalf of those who responded, you're very welcome...
I will need some clarification though, are there any app compatibility issues between iOS versions or the OS version doesn't have anything to do with the apps?

I know that Android has (or at least used to have when I was on Android - Froyo lol) limitations for OS upgrades and for app compatibility. Windows 10 Mobile can run Windows Phone 8.1 apps but it doesn't work vice versa.

Also, if you were to buy an iPhone today, which one would you buy and why?

Seldomly, because a majority of devs update their apps to be used with the latest iOS version, and Apple is cracking down on outdated apps.

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Things like what? ;)

Nothing.

This is more true the other way around (we all know the OP is referring to iOS vs. Android ?????? ).

There are workflows which are impossible to implement on iOS without cludging together a[n inferior] solution with 3rd party apps or using dongles/adapters. These things are trivial with Android.

Killer feature of iOS, for me, is my iMac. If not for that, I wouldn't use an iPhone at all.

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
On behalf of those who responded, you're very welcome...

Seldomly, because a majority of devs update their apps to be used with the latest iOS version, and Apple is cracking down on outdated apps.

I still have paid apps that haven't been updated for the iPhone 6 screens. Multiple, in fact. They're still supported. The developers just do my care. The Apps cost $6.99-9.99 (plus subscription - one is $24.99 per month), so they weren't cheap, either. I vastly prefer how Android handles scaling.

In any case, things like Touch ID are half broken in most apps I've tried it in (randomly makes you sign in despite it being enabled) and I think most people here are aware of how I feel about this uselessness called 3D Touch (and the fact that widgets are nothing more that pinned 3D Touch pop-up, in most cases)...

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2