Is iOS falling behind?

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I've just been having a discussion on this topic. I disagree that Apple and iOS are falling behind despite not having the plethoras feature sets seen on many Android devices. I'm fine with how Apple waits to implement new features until they work as they as should and as promised. While iOS hasn't changed much in the last couple years, I can't say Apple hasn't been innovating. Apple has just done mostly under the hood innovations. I believe this is all leading up to the new iPhone(s) this year. Many of the rumors, most in fact, speculate a full bezel-less OLED display with under the screen front facing camera, and under the screen home button and TouchID sensor. They also show the same body size for the iPhones, which makes the smaller size a 5.5" screen and the larger closer to 6.3". They also show a full glass back to the iPhones with a stainless steel frame, which would indicate wireless charging coming to the iPhone finally. Knowing Apple, and this being the 10 year anniversary of the iPhone, I wouldn't be surprised if this is only scratching the surface. What do you think, is Apple/iOS falling behind and failing to innovate?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't think iOS, in and of itself, is falling behind other operating systems because it is still fast, smooth, simple to use and more stable, in my opinion. Having said that, could some things be improved? Of course.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I think that Apple will always be behind in some ways, not because they're lagging but because they've never felt the need to be first to market. They have had the ability to add wireless charging, OLED, and whatever other features their competitors have brought to market for a long time.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Apple is still leading in 'implementing tech the way it's supposed to work'. That's why I don't think Apple is falling behind.

I haven't heard of anything Android can do that I wish my iPhone could do.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
I think that Apple will always be behind in some ways, not because they're lagging but because they've never felt the need to be first to market.

I remember during my 'Droid days when Apple would come out with a "brand new" feature that was already available on Android and I'd comment "That's great, Apple. Welcome to two years ago when Android launched that feature". Now I've realized that Apple just wants to make sure these "brand new features" are truly ready to be rolled out to the masses and work like they are supposed to.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I remember during my 'Droid days when Apple would come out with a "brand new" feature that was already available on Android and I'd comment "That's great, Apple. Welcome to two years ago when Android launched that feature". Now I've realized that Apple just wants to make sure these "brand new features" are truly ready to be rolled out to the masses and work like they are supposed to.

Better to do it right than to do it first!

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
Better to do it right than to do it first!
To me, this is so true. Apple may be a little behind when it comes to customization of settings & themes but the software works so nicely and everything is super smooth.

Apple are definitely behind when it comes to hardware features like NFC, wireless charging, Bluetooth ect, but they only implement something when it's got a purpose and not just have it there 'because everyone else has it' :)

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Yes...Apple is falling behind. Be we accept that because we love what Apple offers. I think there's a difference between what we will accept vs what is current. In my opinion, Apple is behind others. But that's not because they aren't capable of offering what others do. It's because they choose to take their time and offer things on their terms. Not the terms of others.

So it's really not a negative, in my opinion. But typically, Apple is behind to offer things that have been around for a while in other forms. They just tend to offer those items better than their competition.

Damien_Eternal

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Apple isnt a company to say "Well, they implemented this, so we have to as well." That is where a lot of other companies get into trouble. Instead of making sure the tech actually works the way it should, they would rather keep up with market image. Apple isnt that way.

Apple only implements new features when they are sure they can have them working, working the way they are supposed to, and working stability even if all that takes then an extra year or two to do. They know many people depend on their products for their jobs, careers and livelihoods. People cant be fiddling with a device to get it to work, it has to just simply work.

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
This is the equivalent to saying Rolex is falling behind in watch making because there is a $10 Chinese watch that has a 100 more features and gimmicks. Now saying that I know of no sane person that would argue that the Rolex isn't the better watch. Rolex makes a helluva watch ....
Apple makes a helluva smartphone ...

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
As far as customization goes unfortunately a big YES. However, thats it. In my opinion iOS is very user friendly with products that just work the way they are intended to and works well. Its as though my Apple products thinks for me and does the tasks I need them to do without much thought from me, which has also made me a lazy bum....LOL.

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I used to be in the customization camp when I switched often then realized, I'm not using this device any differently than an iPhone. And, for my use the iPhone does it better. Haven't looked back.

scastle123

Apr 1, 2016
Visit site
I used to be in the customization camp when I switched often then realized, I'm not using this device any differently than an iPhone. And, for my use the iPhone does it better. Haven't looked back.

Maybe it's because I am getting old, but I actually prefer iOS because it does what I want efficiently and with little need for customisation.

Don't get me wrong. I am both a heavy user and power user of IOS, so I don't just make the odd phone call, play a simple game and send texts. I like the way that most of the time, Apple stuff just works.

I like android as well, but even on the high end phones (including the Pixel), Android doesn't feel quite as slick and we'll designed as iOS.

m4mario

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
If you have any kind of accent, Siri fails big time. Its so silly. You just can't get it to understand anything.
Google's voice recognition works like magic. Any accent is fine. Google truly has the magical AI that Apple wants to have, possibly due to lack of data, or may be lack of skillset. Whatever it may be, its very far behind...

Xeneh

May 8, 2017
Visit site
This I can agree on, Apple needs to improve Siri. She understands me well since I don't have an accent, but many people do.

She also needs to be able to do more.

Xeneh

May 8, 2017
Visit site
And if you look at their patents, they have been working on 'truly' wireless charging. Can you imagine that? It blows my mind.

sangs

Trusted Member
Sep 18, 2009
Visit site
While I think Apple has fallen behind in certain areas, I also think that in a month, when it unveils iOS 11, it might catch up or surpass Android in some areas. It's a difficult argument, based on the release dates of Apple and Google, or Apple and Samsung, or Apple and LG, etc. If they all came out at the same time, you could argue one is ahead of - or behind - the other easier. But the nature of these staggered releases is almost always going to put one ahead of the other in certain areas.

mavsguy842

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
There are three ways that I feel iOS itself is falling behind: 1) Notifications 2) Widgets 3) Home Screen Layout

A lot of the other things that come to mind are specific app problems, and not iOS problems (i.e. cannot mark Messages as Unread, Favorites in the Health app aren't available by 3D Touching the app icon, etc.)

The notification system on iOS completely sucks. It's worse than Android, which doesn't have a great history here, and it's worse than BB10. Notifications seem transient and spacing is not nearly dense enough. Actions require a 3D Touch. A couple icons for the most-used actions would be faster.

Widgets are very useful and, like 3D Touch on apps, let you complete tasks more quickly. They also give you the most pertinent information without having to open an app. Widgets need to be present on the app/home screens.

Which brings me to point 3, screen layout. Apple needs to allow placing app icons, folders, and widgets anywhere on the screen. Automatically top-left aligning/sliding everything is outdated and makes using the phone more cumbersome.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox