Two-factor authentication

muchospanish

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm going to be traveling and I was wondering what would happen if my two trusted devices (the only two devices I own), were stolen:

I did find a way out: Apple knowledge base article (although I don't understand how this two-factor authentication is secure if I can get back in without a trusted device).

Also, I suppose I could buy a new phone and get my phone number back.

Has anyone thought about this?

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
If you are traveling with somebody that you trust, you can add their number as another trusted phone number in iCloud security settings and receive the verification codes to his/her number. Otherwise, you can sign up for a Google Voice account (free) and that will give you a phone number that can take text messages. You log in to your Google account on any computer, phone or tablet and you'll be able to receive the messages to that number. (This is what I used as one of my trusted phone numbers.)

muchospanish

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
This is a great idea. I think I have two-factor for Google, though, so I think I'll put my daughter's number down. Thanks. Very smart.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
This is a great idea. I think I have two-factor for Google, though, so I think I'll put my daughter's number down. Thanks. Very smart.

Sounds like you're all set, but, just as a reminder, you can also print out a set of 10 emergency one-time use codes for Google two-factor authentication, so not having a Google authenticator app would not necessarily be a problem (in case anybody reads this later who is traveling alone or has no other person they can set up as a trusted number.)

See https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/1187538?hl=en for more info.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2