Spotlight Search intermittent with 10.3.1?

MikeElmendorf

Sep 27, 2012
Visit site
Ever since updating to 10.3.1, I'm finding that Spotlight Search is intermittent at best on my iPhone 7. Most of the time, it just doesn't work/return any results. Generally a restart gets it to work again for a while; other times it will randomly work and then not notwithstanding a reset.

Is anyone else seeing this?

Thanks.

jrdatrackstar1223

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Ever since updating to 10.3.1, I'm finding that Spotlight Search is intermittent at best on my iPhone 7. Most of the time, it just doesn't work/return any results. Generally a restart gets it to work again for a while; other times it will randomly work and then not notwithstanding a reset.

Is anyone else seeing this?

Thanks.

This has been happening to me on iOS 10 from day one. Restarts fix it like you said, but here lately it has been pretty consistent for me one 10.3.1 thus far.

Truman82

Mar 29, 2015
Visit site
Same here. Except that it does find for example a contact I'm searching for but when I click it open the resulting screen is empty. Searching again makes it work as intended. Have reported this bug.

patrickplaggenborg

Apr 20, 2017
Visit site
Same problem here since either 10.3 or 10.3.1.

Spotlight search shows no results at all.

Have tried several suggestions to solve it:
- restart phone
- reset phone (power button + volume down 10 sec)
- disable all spotlight features and enable again
- switch OS language to another and back

Most worked for a couple of minutes. But it's not permanent. I still have this problem.

Have submitted a bug report using the Apple Feedback form as well.

jrdatrackstar1223

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
It seems like this problem has returned for me on 10.3.3 unfortunately. Searching for "Mcdonalds", for example, will return results closer to my home while I am actually at work. It's as if it is not picking up my current location, even though the location icon is displayed while I am searching (or the spotlight cache is stuck or something).

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
It seems like this problem has returned for me on 10.3.3 unfortunately. Searching for "Mcdonalds", for example, will return results closer to my home while I am actually at work. It's as if it is not picking up my current location, even though the location icon is displayed while I am searching (or the spotlight cache is stuck or something).

Hmmm, have you tried going to Settings→ General→ Reset, and then choosing “Reset All Settings”?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Was trying to avoid that route lol. A soft reset fixes it but I shouldn't have to do that every time I change locations if this is an "update"

I hear ya, and I agree that you shouldn’t have to reboot your device every time you change locations. Hopefully, iOS 11 performs better for you in that regard...:)