Cannot multitask when streaming CNN Go and MLB video

KenV54

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
When streaming CNN and MLB video, I can't go to the home screen or any other app without the video stopping. This does not happen when streaming audio only in other apps. I understand that there is no way to watch a video while using another app, but it would be nice if you could continue to listen to the streaming audio.

I don't suppose there is any way around this. Maybe a jailbreak?

I'm on iOS 10.3 beta 4

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
You can try going to your control panel after you ext out of the CNN app and pressing play. Sometimes that works, at least it works for YouTube in the web browser for listening to audio while doing other things.

KenV54

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
You can try going to your control panel after you ext out of the CNN app and pressing play. Sometimes that works, at least it works for YouTube in the web browser for listening to audio while doing other things.

Thanks. Unfortunately, that seems to work only for audio streaming. I tried it with the CNN streaming and it doesn't work. In fact, when I go to the control panel, it always shows the last audio app I was listening to, even after I had terminated the app, and when I had been streaming video after listening to that last audio app.

IMG_0141.JPG

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
Thanks. Unfortunately, that seems to work only for audio streaming. I tried it with the CNN streaming and it doesn't work. In fact, when I go to the control panel, it always shows the last audio app I was listening to, even after I had terminated the app, and when I had been streaming video after listening to that last audio app.

View attachment 116795

Maybe someone else has answer. The procedure I described works for me with audio from YouTube website from the browser. For Picture in Picture you will need an iPad that can support multitasking video, though some apps and websites don't support it. YouTube video from YouTube website in the browser doesn't, for example, only audio for me. Could be that the CNN and MLB apps don't support background audio.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

View attachment 116795

Go to CNN in your Safari browser and start play. Then leave Safari and pull up your control center and tap to play.
a9c49397846125d7a23b1fc9126f1b4c.jpg

KenV54

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
Go to CNN in your Safari browser and start play. Then leave Safari and pull up your control center and tap to play.
//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170304/a9c49397846125d7a23b1fc9126f1b4c.jpg

Yes, that works for recorded videos on CNN. And I get the same screen as you do in the control panel.

It doesn't work for live streaming of CNN, the kind that requires a sign in with a cable carrier that you have subscribed to, in my case, Comcast. In fact, using Safari to get to the CNN website, when you try to do live streaming, it requires the free CNN app and directs you to download it if you don't have it. I tried deleting the CNN app and use Safari, but it didn't work for live streaming of the video.

It seems that the Control panel only works for audio live streaming if the app is in background, not for video streaming.

Too bad there's no way to just stream CNN audio from their site. The only way to do that is via a paid Tune-in subscription (the free Tune-in lets you stream the audio but interrupts frequently with its own commercials) or via a Sirius/XM radio subscription.

Last edited:

KenV54

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
I think TuneIn Radio app has the CNN live audio stream as a channel.

Yes, it does. But to get rid of the extra audio ads and interruptions on TuneIn you have to subscribe to their premium service, which would be fine, but I'm already paying for CNN via my cable carrier and don't want to pay twice.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
Yes, it does. But to get rid of the extra audio ads and interruptions on TuneIn you have to subscribe to their premium service, which would be fine, but I'm already paying for CNN via my cable carrier and don't want to pay twice.

They have to cover their costs somehow. I use the free version and don't pay twice. There aren't extra interruptions here, just regular ads, as far as I can tell. The programming doesn't seem to be interrupted at all.

KenV54

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
They have to cover their costs somehow. I use the free version and don't pay twice. There aren't extra interruptions here, just regular ads, as far as I can tell. The programming doesn't seem to be interrupted at all.

Hmm. Seemed as though there were extra interruptions in the audio, but I'll try it again.

Thanks very much.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
Hmm. Seemed as though there were extra interruptions in the audio, but I'll try it again.

Thanks very much.

Hope the TuneIn radio app idea is some help. I think CNN wants to keep the user captive inside the app only. Might want to submit user feedback to CNN from the contact section in the App Store.

KenV54

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
Hope the TuneIn radio app idea is some help. I think CNN wants to keep the user captive inside the app only. Might want to submit user feedback to CNN from the contact section in the App Store.

I tried the TuneIn app again with CNN and did not seem to experience the extra commercial interruptions as I thought I had previously. I've always found TuneIn to be a bit unstable in terms of staying connected at all. RadiOn seems a little better, but doesn't carry CNN.

I agree with your earlier statement that TuneIn has every right and reason to charge for its services. And I think you're correct about CNN wanting to keep the viewer captive within its app, although it seems that most video streaming, including MLB, won't work unless it's the active screen.

Anyway, thanks for all your help with this.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
I tried the TuneIn app again with CNN and did not seem to experience the extra commercial interruptions as I thought I had previously. I've always found TuneIn to be a bit unstable in terms of staying connected at all. RadiOn seems a little better, but doesn't carry CNN.

I agree with your earlier statement that TuneIn has every right and reason to charge for its services. And I think you're correct about CNN wanting to keep the viewer captive within its app, although it seems that most video streaming, including MLB, won't work unless it's the active screen.

Anyway, thanks for all your help with this.

Unfortunately it is up to the app developer to take advantage of the features that Apple makes available with the SDK. You are very welcome.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2