Need help with problems posssibly relating to storage.

Wintermelon43

Feb 22, 2017
Visit site
Okay so I'm having a really huge problem with my ipad. Pretty much, for ages, my Ipad has been on really low storage. Something (I don't know what) keeps eating up all my storage, and it keeps decreasing and decreasing.

Well, recently, I've been noticing that my notes havn't been working properly. They wrren't saving properly. After muitiple times though, they would save. However, just today, it finally just removed everything, it seems. It just says "No Notes" now. I've tried shutting it off or down, and closing out notes and going back in, and it still says this.

So, how do I get them back???? Is it possible to get them back? Will I ever get them back? I really need to know, I had tons and tons and tons of important stuff in there, almost all of which I will never be able to get again if I can't get my notes back. I have spent years into the stuff in my notes. If my notes are gone forever, I'm completatly screwed. So it's really important that I have them. So, Please, can somebody tell me how to get them back?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
1. Which iPad model do you have?
2. What's the storage capacity of that iPad?
3. Do you have a good deal of photos, videos, and music stored on the device?
4. Are your notes associated with iCloud? If so, login to the iCloud website via a computer and then see if your notes are still present therein.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Please log in to iCloud on your computer and see if your notes are there.
If not, this means that you hadn't enabled iCloud for notes, which is, needlessly to say, really a shame.

Second thing you can do is to go to Settings > iCloud > iCloud Backup to check when the last iCloud backup was made by your device.
If it is a very recent one, you can restore your iPad to that backup and see if your notes appear now.

If the latter is the case, go ahead and enable iCloud for notes in Settings > iCloud.

Good luck and keep us informed.

Wintermelon43

Feb 22, 2017
Visit site
1. Which iPad model do you have?
2. What's the storage capacity of that iPad?
3. Do you have a good deal of photos, videos, and music stored on the device?
4. Are your notes associated with iCloud? If so, login to the iCloud website via a computer and then see if your notes are still present therein.
1.Not sure, how do I check? It's a newer one

2.26.6 used, 0 available right now. I deleted four apps earilier, and within an hour it was down to 0 again. I can't get any of my storage back.

3.A lot of screenshots (Not real pictures, just screenshots from the Home button + Power button). No music or videos.

4.Not sure, how do I check?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
On storage, do you have a lot of photos? If so, upload them to your computer, or to an app like Dropbox and Box. Then delete from the camera roll. Make sure you delete photos in the "deleted photos" album. Delete messages in the messages app. Delete apps you don't use.

Wintermelon43

Feb 22, 2017
Visit site
OP, check to see if Notes is toggled on for iCloud in settlngs. Also check if they may be in Gmail or other account.
This may help.
Notes [GUIDE] How To Find And Not Lose Notes. - iPhone, iPad, iPod Forums at iMore.com

I looked at that, but I don't understand how I tell where my notes are being saved. Clicking on the Notes bar in settings on the left just brings me to a page with just another bar on the right saying 'Default account", which, if I click on, just says "On My Ipad". But none of the notes are there. Where are they?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I looked at that, but I don't understand how I tell where my notes are being saved. Clicking on the Notes bar in settings on the left just brings me to a page with just another bar on the right saying 'Default account", which, if I click on, just says "On My Ipad". But none of the notes are there. Where are they?

If you go to say Gmail in settlngs > Mail, there should be a Notes toggle. If it's on, the Notes would be in the Notes app under Gmail. If it's toggled off, the Notes may be in the Notes folder in your Gmail in the stock Mail app. So if that toggle got toggled off somehow in settlngs, the Notes would disappear in the Notes app and show up in Mail in the Notes folder.
The Notes folder doesn't even show in Mail if Notes is toggled on in settlngs.

Wintermelon43

Feb 22, 2017
Visit site
If you go to say Gmail in settlngs > Mail, there should be a Notes toggle. If it's on, the Notes would be in the Notes app under Gmail. If it's toggled off, the Notes may be in the Notes folder in your Gmail in the stock Mail app. So if that toggle got toggled off somehow in settlngs, the Notes would disappear in the Notes app and show up in Mail in the Notes folder.
The Notes folder doesn't even show in Mail if Notes is toggled on in settlngs.

I still don't understand. I don't see a Stock Mail app on here - There is the mail app though. It doesn't have an area called "Notes" either. It has a"Notebook" section, but it's completatly empty and has nothing in there. I don't understand where I should be looking for these.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I still don't understand. I don't see a Stock Mail app on here - There is the mail app though. It doesn't have an area called "Notes" either. It has a"Notebook" section, but it's completatly empty and has nothing in there. I don't understand where I should be looking for these.

By "stock", he is referring to stock apps--apps that come built in with iOS. The "stock" mail app is the app labeled "Mail" on your device. Likewise, the notes app is called "Notes".

Wintermelon43

Feb 22, 2017
Visit site
By "stock", he is referring to stock apps--apps that come built in with iOS. The "stock" mail app is the app labeled "Mail" on your device. Likewise, the notes app is called "Notes".

Just realized I worded it badly. I meant that there wasn't a notes section in my Mail app. The Notes app is what had my notes before they all disappeared.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Go to Settings > Mail, Contacts & Calendars and check for every account if you have Notes enabled.
If yes, than check for that respective account if the notes are there.
Best way to do this is doing that on a computer.

mark-d

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
If you are that low on storage 'clean' the device

Go to Settings > General > Storage & iCloud > Manage Storage

Delete the apps that are using most storage like Facebook, Twitter etc. Reinstall those apps from the App Store and you'll have cleared the cache on those which in my case saves gigabytes of data across the main ones.

Also remove any mail accounts you have and then add them back. Old attachments downloaded will be taking space so you can delete the accounts and add them back again for a fresh start.

As has already been said make sure iCloud is on for notes then the notes will be safe in your iCloud account as well as on the device.

Hope that helps you gain some space and avoid the notes issue in future

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Just realized I worded it badly. I meant that there wasn't a notes section in my Mail app. The Notes app is what had my notes before they all disappeared.

That's because you have notes for your email turned on in settlngs. Turn it off, and the Notes folder will appear.
How many email accounts do you have in your notes app? Are you looking in the correct one?

Wintermelon43

Feb 22, 2017
Visit site
That's because you have notes for your email turned on in settlngs. Turn it off, and the Notes folder will appear.
How many email accounts do you have in your notes app? Are you looking in the correct one?

Where do I find this setting? I can't find it anywhere. And, how do I checlk what email accounts are on my Ipad? Also can't find that either.

Go to Settings > Mail, Contacts & Calendars and check for every account if you have Notes enabled.
If yes, than check for that respective account if the notes are there.
Best way to do this is doing that on a computer.
I can't find this list. Do you know where it is. I did see an area that lists "ICloud" and a certain email that I once sent. Neither of these have notes enabled.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Where do I find this setting? I can't find it anywhere. And, how do I checlk what email accounts are on my Ipad? Also can't find that either.

I can't find this list. Do you know where it is. I did see an area that lists "ICloud" and a certain email that I once sent. Neither of these have notes enabled.

It is in Settings, go to Mail, Contacts & Calendar and see per account in there of Notes is enabled.

The list looks like this:
7be8985f07846ea9b6c29de4c4b9158d.jpg

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234