• After more than 15 years covering everything Apple, it’s with a heavy heart we announce that we will no longer be publishing new content on iMore and the iMore forums will be closing as of November 1st, 2024.

Apple Pay not working at BJ's with you have chip

kurpaige

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
I use Apple Pay all the time now and I mostly leave my cards at home. Now at BJ's wholesale if the card you use with Apple Pay has a chip the reader asks you not to swipe your card but use the chip. WTF! I didn't have my card with me stuck not being able to use Apple Pay. I hope this chip thing doesn't before a real problem.

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
I've had the same issue here in Canada at many stores. It depends on the reader they are using for payment. Many stores are staying with their older card readers as they can be expensive to replace. I would love to leave my cards at home but it is not a reality yet unfortunately.

metalchick719

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
That's crazy! I've been using Apple Pay to make purchases at BJ's since December 2015. I do recall one time a few months ago that a cashier told me they were doing away with Apple Pay, but that never happened at the store I frequent because I've been able to use it every time since. But the chip thing is something I've never heard.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
That's crazy! I've been using Apple Pay to make purchases at BJ's since December 2015. I do recall one time a few months ago that a cashier told me they were doing away with Apple Pay, but that never happened at the store I frequent because I've been able to use it every time since. But the chip thing is something I've never heard.

Not all cards have a chip. My MasterCard does, but the Visa does not.

metalchick719

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
Not all cards have a chip. My MasterCard does, but the Visa does not.

My Visa has one. It's also the only card I have (my Kohl's card doesn't count, LOL). I just thought it odd that shoppers using Apple Pay would be required to suddenly take their cards out to complete their transactions. That doesn't sound right at all.

kurpaige

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
So far it's only at bjs. I can still use Apple Pay other places. They told me I might not be an issue every where but they know the readers they use are having that issue. The one guy at the store didn't know if it was gonna be fixed but said it's Apple Pay and Samsung Pay too.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
My Visa has one. It's also the only card I have (my Kohl's card doesn't count, LOL). I just thought it odd that shoppers using Apple Pay would be required to suddenly take their cards out to complete their transactions. That doesn't sound right at all.

Do you have to stick your Visa in the front of some machines, rather than swiping?

muchospanish

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
So far it's only at bjs. I can still use Apple Pay other places. They told me I might not be an issue every where but they know the readers they use are having that issue. The one guy at the store didn't know if it was gonna be fixed but said it's Apple Pay and Samsung Pay too.

I noticed this at BJs, too.

metalchick719

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
Do you have to stick your Visa in the front of some machines, rather than swiping?

Yes. At some of them, you have to swipe and then insert the card, which is pretty annoying. Then, there are also some places where I shop where they still don't even have the chip reading machines yet, so it's swipe only.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Yes. At some of them, you have to swipe and then insert the card, which is pretty annoying. Then, there are also some places where I shop where they still don't even have the chip reading machines yet, so it's swipe only.

Most I just swipe. But there's a few I have to insert the card. But not both.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shanefreedman