Installing app updates >100 MB in size over cellular: Questions

Rafagon

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site
When I tap on an app update that’s greater than 100 MB in size, I get this pop-up:

IMG_4153.PNG

Two questions. (1) What is an “incremental download”? (2) Why does it say “may not download until you connect to Wi-Fi”? Specifically, why the word may? Is iOS 10 not sure if it will download or not via cellular?

In my case, the app update proceeded swimmingly over cellular, which is exactly what I wanted to happen:

IMG_4154.PNG

IMG_4155.PNG

Nonetheless, my question remains. Why did I get a warning that the app update may not download until I connected to Wi-Fi, yet the download proceeded perfectly over my cellular connection?

Also, if someone could tell me how to insert photos into a post in thumbnail size as opposed to full size, that would be great.

Last edited:

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
When I tap on an app update that’s greater than 100 MB in size, I get this pop-up:

View attachment 114981

Two questions. (1) What is an “incremental download”? (2) Why does it say “may not download until you connect to Wi-Fi”? Specifically, why the word may? Is iOS 10 not sure if it will download or not via cellular?

In my case, the app update proceeded swimmingly over cellular, which is exactly what I wanted to happen:

View attachment 114982

View attachment 114983

Nonetheless, my question remains. Why did I get a warning that the app update may not download until I connected to Wi-Fi, yet the download proceeded perfectly over my cellular connection?

Also, if someone could tell me how to insert photos into a post in thumbnail size as opposed to full size, that would be great.

An incremental update is something Apple started offering developers I believe in iOS 9 (could be wrong). It lets you download just the update kind of in sections. It updates as needed over cellular instead of the entire download over wifi. The reason it says "may not download" is because developers don't have to implement incremental updates if they don't want to. It's just basically a blanket pop up that explains why an update wouldn't download until on wifi.

Rafagon

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site
An incremental update is something Apple started offering developers I believe in iOS 9 (could be wrong). It lets you download just the update kind of in sections. It updates as needed over cellular instead of the entire download over wifi. The reason it says "may not download" is because developers don't have to implement incremental updates if they don't want to. It's just basically a blanket pop up that explains why an update wouldn't download until on wifi.
So, basically, a delta update! Gotcha! So the fact that the download completed successfully means that an incremental update was available and took place?

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711