Really not a question, but more of a story. Here is the background:

I switched carriers from AT&T postpaid to Cricket prepaid. Cricket is owned by AT&T so I assumed there would be no issues. I was wrong. After inserting my Cricket SIM into my iPhone 7 and activating it, I could make/receive calls, but not get a cellular data connection and also no texts. So I called Cricket several times to resolve these issues. They were absolutely no help, they just kept submitting tickets. So I wiped my iPhone 7 to factory to see if that would help (I made a fresh iCloud backup before inserting the Cricket SIM). The factory restore did not change anything. I could still make/receive calls, but no data/texts. The no texts was a big issue considering Apple's Two Factor would not send a text to my phone number nor did it recognize it as a trusted device any longer.

After 3 days of this nonsense, I called AT&T and did a WINBack, meaning they recreated my account on the same plan and I all had to do was get a new AT&T SIM. I inserted the new SIM, did another factory wipe and after 4 hours I was getting data and texts. Well... all texts, but those from Apple's Two Factor Authentication. So I'm thinking "crap", I can't sign into my iPhone 7 to get my contacts, backups, etc... all the good things that were stored there since iCloud's release. Now I am panicking. I scheduled a call with Apple and after 45 minutes, they said I was out of luck. I had my Apple ID and password, but an old Recovery Key. I knew and was expecting that answer from them and I was OK with that because I knew how this authentication method worked and it's consequences, but I wasn't OK with losing everything. I waited another 24 hours for the switch back to AT&T to resolve itself completely and settle in. No dice!

When I got home, I fired up my laptop and tried something off of a hunch and last ditch effort. I signed into iTunes and bang... received a text from Apple. My laptop is not a trusted device. So I immediately attempted to sign into my iPhone 7 and bang... another text from Apple. I successfully signed into my phone and restored from my latest backup and EVERYTHING is good and well to date.

I am not sure if this is a "bypass" of Apple's Two Factor Authentication, or if there is more going on behind the scenes. All I do know is that I received no authentication texts from Apple for almost 5 days until I signed into iTunes.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

*Side Note: change the title if need be*
    12-19-2016 12:22 PM
    I don't think it is a bypass per se, but more of a completion of the authentication...
    12-21-2016 08:42 AM
    I may have some insight in to the Cricket problem. My suspicion is that they use different APN settings than AT&T. YES they are a subsidiary, BUT they work differently, and perhaps this is one of the ways. You MIGHT have done a search for Cricket APN settings...

Cricket Wireless APN Settings – Step by Step Configuration

Cricket APN Settings - A Simple Setup Guide [New Working APN]

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201699

HOPEFULLY Cricket allows you to edit the settings (they probably do)
    12-21-2016 12:30 PM
    This is why I refuse to do 2 factor anything.
    12-21-2016 06:48 PM
    This is why I refuse to do 2 factor anything.
    I've never run into any problems with it, and I've had it with email accounts, Dropbox, Evernote, banking, etcetera, for years.
    12-21-2016 06:58 PM
    I've never run into any problems with it, and I've had it with email accounts, Dropbox, Evernote, banking, etcetera, for years.
    I don't have a computer. And I've never had any problems just using email and password. I'm not keen on anything I can't reset or bypass. When I updated to 10.1.1, Apple tried to force the 2 factor on me. I did it by mistake. But was sent an email with the option to undo it. So I did. LOL I just don't trust it. I do use a very strong password.
    12-22-2016 04:55 AM
    I may have some insight in to the Cricket problem. My suspicion is that they use different APN settings than AT&T. YES they are a subsidiary, BUT they work differently, and perhaps this is one of the ways. You MIGHT have done a search for Cricket APN settings...

Cricket Wireless APN Settings – Step by Step Configuration

Cricket APN Settings - A Simple Setup Guide [New Working APN]

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201699

HOPEFULLY Cricket allows you to edit the settings (they probably do)
    Thanks for the links, I viewed and tried all before bailing on Cricket.
    pkcable likes this.
    12-22-2016 06:15 PM