How does auto brightness work when you manually adjust the brightness on the control center

jrdatrackstar1223

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
When I use the brightness slider on the control center, does that "turn off" auto brightness (even though the setting is still on)? For example, if I go outside and the screen automatically adjusts and I slide it to a brightness of my preference, does it "remember" what my brightness preference is for that brightness? Or does auto-brightness just completely stop working when you manually adjust the brightness from the control center slider until you go back into settings and toggle auto brightness off and then back on?

jrdatrackstar1223

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
I believe you are just overriding for that one instance.

So when I put the phone to sleep and turn it back on, it'll go back to auto adjusting? I did this yesterday while driving because the brightness was higher than needed. When I lowered the brightness, it just stayed at that brightness and never auto adjusted again when I switched to other environments.

rdstryr

Trusted Member
Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
So I had the phone in bright light, display was super bright, manually adjusted slider to dim the screen a little, placed the phone under my desk where there is almost no light at all, it then auto adjusted to very dim. When I pulled it back up above desk to bright lights it brightened only to the point where I manually adjusted to. So it's brightest will only go up to where create the maximum by manually adjusting the slider, dimness in dark areas will adjust accordingly.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
So when I put the phone to sleep and turn it back on, it'll go back to auto adjusting? I did this yesterday while driving because the brightness was higher than needed. When I lowered the brightness, it just stayed at that brightness and never auto adjusted again when I switched to other environments.

Unless I am mistaken, if you have auto-adjust turned on, the slider merely adjusts what you like in the current environment, and the auto-adjustment uses that as a reference for other ambient lighting environments as it continues to auto-adjust.

See https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202613

jrdatrackstar1223

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
So I had the phone in bright light, display was super bright, manually adjusted slider to dim the screen a little, placed the phone under my desk where there is almost no light at all, it then auto adjusted to very dim. When I pulled it back up above desk to bright lights it brightened only to the point where I manually adjusted to. So it's brightest will only go up to where create the maximum by manually adjusting the slider, dimness in dark areas will adjust accordingly.

Sorry, I just saw this. I have noticed the same, what an awesome feature!