Podcasts app not in app store?

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
So... I removed the stock Apple Podcasts app from my phone, but wanted to reinstall it this morning. As I understand it, the removable stock apps are supposed to be in the app store if you choose to "reinstall" them later. However - and I know that the app store search is awful - but it appears that this app is not one that is in the app store.

In case I am missing something, if somebody does find it, can you share the app store link, or the magic search that turned it up? Yes, I have looked at all Apple apps in the app store as well, by tapping the "Apple" link under the Pages app store entry - it's not there, either.

[edit]Ok, I figured out the issue - the hard way. (see see last post )

tl;dr: I had settings / general / restrictions set to turn off Podcasts. I never deleted the app at all - when you restrict the app, it disappears from the home screen and won't show up when you search for the app in the Play Store.

Last edited:

TwitchyPuppy

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
I wrote "Podcasts" it it's the first app at the top:
fa80808cad6d41e1e2be82019d60061b.png

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Videotron: you are not in the US, right? I wonder if there is some weird restriction in the US that shouldn't be there?

fullsizeoutput_402f.jpeg

It's definitely not in this list, no matter how far you scroll.

I provided Feedback to Apple; hopefully this gets fixed.

Bazza1

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Not sure, but have you tried App Store > Updates > Purchased > Not On this Phone? Or All?

Just a thought.

Bazza1

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Yep, I looked there, too.

Huh. Got me, then. Clearly this 'delete' feature not working as advertised - at least on your phone.

I've got a whack of Apple embedded apps I don't use, but I always just stuck them in a folder I called 'Junk Drawer' - it never occurred to me to try this new feature because, well, frankly, Apple always seems to have issues with making new features work. Which is, I appreciate, of no use to you at all. Sorry.

Is there a particular feature you need with their own Podcast app you can't find elsewhere? For my part, I use RSSRadio in lieu of Apple's offering.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Is there a particular feature you need with their own Podcast app you can't find elsewhere? For my part, I use RSSRadio in lieu of Apple's offering.

Nope, all set. I use Overcast, which is why I deleted it. I wanted to see if I could share a particular episode with somebody who I knew wasn't using Overcast. It's not critical, just a "huh". (Still not in the store.)

DLieSaS

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site
By the way: Podcast.app in iOS 10 is pretty terrible – it still replicates iOS 9's Music.app-design…

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Ok, I figured out the issue - the hard way.

tl;dr: I had settings / general / restrictions set to turn off Podcasts. I never deleted the app at all - when you restrict the app, it disappears from the home screen and won't show up when you search for the app in the Play Store.

I contacted Apple Support on twitter about this (which, by the way, was wonderful - very helpful and quick responses.) They asked me to back up my phone and then restore the phone to new, sign in to my Apple ID, and try to replicate. The Podcasts add was there, I deleted the app, it was the first option when I searched for "podcasts" in the app store and was easy to restore.

What made it the hard way: I backed up in iTunes, using the same encryption settings that I always do. I assumed that the iPhone backup password in keychain access was the backup password. Well, when I tried to restore my phone, I discovered that it wasn't the password, and, as it turned out, no matter what I guessed, I couldn't restore my phone. I did have an iCloud backup, but that was telling me that it was going to take 4 hours - then 5, 6, 7, 8, and finally 9 before I gave up. I couldn't wait that long.

It wasn't until later when I was going through settings that I found that the podcasts app has a restriction setting that both removes the icon from the phone and prevents the app store app from finding the app on the App Store - that was why I couldn't find it before.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Ok, I figured out the issue - the hard way.

I contacted Apple Support on twitter about this (which, by the way, was wonderful - very helpful and quick responses.) They asked me to back up my phone and then restore the phone to new, sign in to my Apple ID, and try to replicate. The Podcasts add was there, I deleted the app, it was the first option when I searched for "podcasts" in the app store and was easy to restore.

What made it the hard way: I backed up in iTunes, using the same encryption settings that I always do. I assumed that the iPhone backup password in keychain access was the backup password. Well, when I tried to restore my phone, I discovered that it wasn't the password, and, as it turned out, no matter what I guessed, I couldn't restore my phone. I did have an iCloud backup, but that was telling me that it was going to take 4 hours - then 5, 6, 7, 8, and finally 9 before I gave up. I couldn't wait that long.

It wasn't until later when I was going through settings that I found that the podcasts app has a restriction setting that both removes the icon from the phone and prevents the app store app from finding the app on the App Store - that was why I couldn't find it before.

Thanks for the update...