What is the best app for keeping passwords?

Swapnil Vartak

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
Re: Best app for keeping passwords

I use Dashlane....good interface..Smooth sync across devices...purchased a 3 year plan at discounted price from imore online store.

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site

I used to keep passwords in a note in the stock Notes app. Now, I'm using 1Password on the recommendation of several of my fellow ambassadors and I couldn't be happier!

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

For those of you using 1password... are you paying subscribers? I am thinking of moving to Lastpass. My 1password is frozen on my 6s. Anyone know how to export data from a frozen 1password?

I don't do any of the subscription stuff. It's just my own passwords. No family plan or group.

aokusman1

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site

For those of you using 1password... are you paying subscribers? I am thinking of moving to Lastpass. My 1password is frozen on my 6s. Anyone know how to export data from a frozen 1password?

I just paid the premium app. One time purchase.

Rod Sprague

Oct 26, 2015
Visit site

Another vote for Enpass. The basic version is free, syncs across all my iDevices via iCloud, keeps all your passwords locally not on a remote data base.

rdstryr

Trusted Member
Sep 12, 2012
Visit site

Do you mean that you forgot your Master Password?

khkeet

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site

I was a long time user of the DataVault app and had it installed on my iOS devices as well as my MacBook. Having said that, I've been using the 1Password app for a few years now and really like it a lot. It is also an app that is well supported. Whether it is "the best" depends on your likes and dislikes. For me, I'll keep using it until it no longer suits my needs.

Is anyone concerned about someone "breaking" into their Password manager, and then having access to all your passwords?

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site

Password managers like Lastpass and 1Password use Password-Based Key Derivation Functions (PBKDF2) to increase the amount of work to verify a password, so making a guess attack against the data store is vastly slowed down. See Lastpass's explanation here: https://helpdesk.lastpass.com/account-settings/general/password-iterations-pbkdf2/ and 1Password's here: https://support.1password.com/defense-against-crackers/

(A simpler explanation is that the apps don't just check your password - they take the password and do a large amount of work with it, which you hardly notice being slow at all, but an attacker trying to guess from a dictionary of possible passwords will slow down the guesses so much that the attacks are slowed by a factor of billions.)

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

Another LastPass user -- I've been using them for several years now. Tried 1password for a bit but came back.

MB64

Trusted Member
Feb 6, 2014
Visit site

I too came from BB and was looking for something along those lines , I have "keeper".

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site

I use SplashID but have often wondered the following:
Do you think a password app is more secure than keeping your passwords in a password protected Apple Note app?
TIA

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

Do you think a password app is more secure than keeping your passwords in a password protected Apple Note app?
TIA

More secure? It could be, depending on the type of encryption. Still, if no one uses your device or you don't have it lying around where anyone can start messing with it then a password protected Apple note should be sufficient in my opinion.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

TIA

Anyone? Anyone?

Don't forget the password app can help GENERATE the secure passwords as well as store them. It does all the work for you. And the easier it is, the more likely you are to use it.

Lastpass (and I'm sure 1password does as well) will alert you if you've used the same password, but if you use it to create them you won't get duplicates.

It will also tell you if a site you have saved was ever hacked, so you know to change the password stored. It can even do it in 1 click, for most sites.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh