What is the best app for keeping passwords?

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Re: Best app for keeping passwords

I use SplashID but have often wondered the following:
Do you think a password app is more secure than keeping your passwords in a password protected Apple Note app?
TIA

It looks like the Notes app encryption is fine. Apple uses PBKDF2 and SHA256 to create a key, and AES 256 to encrypt the note's contents. This is all state of the art encryption. Apple doesn't publish specific details or algorithms, or allowed any third party review, but it sure looks like they do it right.

See https://www.apple.com/business/docs/site/iOS_Security_Guide.pdf#mn_p for details, page 25 of that document.

What the apps give you are automatic fills, a web view browser within the app, easy search within the app for a given site, the option for two-factor authentication that the Apple Notes app lacks, etc.

[edit] +1 for what robertk328 said about generating passphrases, notifying about sites being hacked.

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site

Tks to all who replied.
As I said I use Splash ID. But I only use it to store my passwords.
Good Luck

Torch4x4

Oct 30, 2016
Visit site
Best app for keeping passwords

I moved from android to iOS and continued with keeper, my subscription is for a year but only in one mobile device, I sent an email to them to disable the access in my old device and continued using it on my new iphone

Andrew Rossetti

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site

LastPass user since 2010, and I've never considered switching to an alternative. There are some other solid choices in this area, but my experience with LastPass has been exceptional. They have been great at communicating and their openness with the public at large as well as their users is something that gives me added comfort.

Even since they've recently offered a full-featured cross-device free option, I'm still a paying subscriber for the sole reason that I've gotten way more value than the paltry $1/month I've been paying since 2010.

Vpitamber

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
Hello, can you recommend me the best app for keeping passwords. Just came from BlackBerry Passport with BB10 and there was app called Password keeper. Is there something as near as good on IOS10. Thanks in advance.

1password hands down , LastPass was good but they suffered some security compromises in recent times.

wolfee48

Mar 9, 2016
Visit site
Through the timeline of this thread, I was using 1Password but swapped over to LastPass. I'm very pleased with the switch. LastPass is much more convenient for my needs working on 2 laptops along with 2 iPhones throughout the day.

Last edited:

Tre Lawrence

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
I learned to use cross-platform options long ago -- an app that had ports on the major platforms when possible. I used SplashID way back when on Palm, but transitioned to Ascendo DataVault years ago. Sprung for the app on iOS and Android, plus the desktop.

Great for passwords and password generation. I keep it only three devices/terminals, and keep those synced.

WarrenOriz

Banned
Nov 22, 2016
Visit site
Tell you my trick: Keep password of significant programs or apps in your mind.
You can set up the same passcord for those insiginicant ones, so you don't have to remember too much.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Through the timeline of this thread, I was using 1Password but swapped over to LastPass. I'm very pleased with the switch. LastPass is much more convenient for my needs working on 2 laptops along with 2 iPhones throughout the day.

Cool :) I think you'll like it. I tried going the other way to see what the fuss was about and it didn't work for me. Lastpass is the right choice for me.

anon(9155131)

Jan 7, 2016
Visit site
I just began to use Enpass and I'm quite happy with it for the moment. LastPass' integration with iOS is maybe a bit better but I like Enpass UI a lot more.

I would like to use MiniKeyPass but the lack of Safari extension is a no way.

mrjayviper

May 22, 2015
Visit site
lastpass is what I've used the last time. But these days, I use my built-in storage facility inside my head to remember a 20 character password. :D

edit: only because at the time, Lastpass servers were hacked. not going to trust those anymore.

soulenigma

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
I have been using 1password on both my iPhone and Android plus my PC. It is my favorite since I sync across all of them no matter what I'm using.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW