iOS 10.1 Battery Life

gjh1978

Aug 29, 2012
Visit site
I've noticed a TERRIBLE drop on 10.1 in overall battery life on the iPhone 7. Wondering what the impressions have been like out there for everyone else. I mean, it's damn near Android drainage rates...

Been about 2 1/2-3 days since I updated. So it should be settled in by now.

jrdatrackstar1223

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
I've been having the same issues on mine, but it started in 10.0.2 about 6 days ago. I have an iPhone SE and battery life used to be amazing. I think mine might have something to do with faulty logic board or something (perhaps from a drop) because now my battery will drop 1% (say from 100% to 99%) and then drop to 98% quicker than it use to before. For example, let's say my battery drops to 99% and then I make a 30 second phone call. The phone will be down to 98%, and then if I use Safari for like 1 min it'll drop to 97 and then (sometimes) down to 96% within like 30 seconds.

I've tried hard resetting, running as a new phone without backup, signing out of iCloud, battery saver mode, etc. This SE still has warranty and I had it tested at the Apple store and they said the health was good. I also downloaded battery health apps that said the same thing, so I think it might be a hardware issue with the logic board and battery. I dropped the phone before in my house, but there are no signs of damage or anything from the outside so maybe it took shock on the inside?

gjh1978

Aug 29, 2012
Visit site
Interesting, mine has not been dropped, and although the overall experience on 10.0.2/10.0.3 was less than stellar, at least it was tolerable. I too only do clean installs (no backups)

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I noticed Siri creeping up my battery list the other day until it was highest (by double - 40% vs. 20% for Twitterific, which I use a lot). I use Siri maybe one time a week, mostly to set a timer. So, I turned off all Siri functions on Monday (it's still showing up at 1% in the last 24 hours, saying that it's used audio - grrr) and may turn it on again to see if it has settled down. Battery was back to normal yesterday, though.

gjh1978

Aug 29, 2012
Visit site
Interesting, I'll try that and see. My wife is having similar craptacular issues with 10.1 on the iPhone 6 as well, whereas 10.0.2 worked ok...

dirtbiker0025

Oct 3, 2014
Visit site
Iphone 7 battery life has been good for me but charging time has took a hit. tried charging in my truck today and it stayed at 50...while talking it dropped and to go up 1% it took almost 10 mins a percent....weird

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
My battery has been stellar on 10.1. I've been running it since beta 1. My battery increased quite a bit when I went from 10.0.2 to 10.1.

jrdatrackstar1223

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
My battery isn't particularly bad, but I did notice a drop in signal strength after loading 10.1. I'm on Verizon.

I am using a Verizon SE with an AT&T Straight Talk SIM. I wonder if that's perhaps why I am getting worse battery life, even though I have always used this SIM since owning the phone, it has just randomly gotten worse as of a week ago (even before 10.1).

Jamie Wooten

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
I've got a 6s on AT&T and I've resorted to a battery case. My battery life and my daughters has been horrible. No change in usage. My daughters will power off at 40% and say it needs to be plugged in to charge. I'm almost to the point of switching to android.

kurpaige

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
I've got a 6s on AT&T and I've resorted to a battery case. My battery life and my daughters has been horrible. No change in usage. My daughters will power off at 40% and say it needs to be plugged in to charge. I'm almost to the point of switching to android.

Your daughters phone is old. Happens to all phones. After a while of many charges they don't have 100% of its capacity. Software does not cause that. And good luck moving to android and having those batteries last longer than a year. My old note 4 battery would only have about 80% of it's capacity 8 months in. I would buy a new battery great battery life and then 8 months later back to dying with 20%

Jamie Wooten

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Your daughters phone is old. Happens to all phones. After a while of many charges they don't have 100% of its capacity. Software does not cause that. And good luck moving to android and having those batteries last longer than a year. My old note 4 battery would only have about 80% of it's capacity 8 months in. I would buy a new battery great battery life and then 8 months later back to dying with 20%

Actually my daughter has the 6s as well. Thanks for the info though.

kurpaige

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Actually my daughter has the 6s as well. Thanks for the info though.

If that's happening to a 6s you should get the battery checked out my apple. A one year old iPhones battery usually don't have that problem. My 5 did 2 1/2 years in. My daughters 6 is still charging and dying at 0.

Rafagon

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site
I've noticed a TERRIBLE drop on 10.1 in overall battery life on the iPhone 7.
No difference on my 6s Plus. Maybe Y'all are just using it more. That's the case often with a new OS.
I’ve seen that explanation for increased battery drain after a new iOS version before, @Ledsteplin, but I think that that applies more to major version jumps, i.e. going from iOS 9.x to iOS 10.0. Those major updates are the ones which are usually jam-packed with new and “exciting” features that keep users glued to their phones for inordinately long periods of time.

What is so amazing about 10.1 that wasn’t there on 10.0.x that would cause this gentleman to use his phone so much more that he’s experiencing a “TERRIBLE” drop in battery life after updating?

(Unless he’s gone crazy with the Portrait Camera feature and has been taking thousands and thousands of that kind of photographs… but I think he would realize that.) :)

Keith Morris

May 28, 2015
Visit site
My battery life was awful on 10.0.1 and 10.0.2 on my iPhone 6.
However I am happy to report that on 10.1 my battery life has been stellar!

sir mictol

Mar 3, 2016
Visit site
I think the problem is your battery needs to re-calibrate, my battery was misbehaving on 10.1 too till I decided to re-calibrate the battery by draining it till the phone went off and then charging it (on a single charge) to 100%. My battery has been running fine since then. If you have a battery problem, try this solution and it should fix any anomaly.

Posted via the iMore App for Android on a Blackberry

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR