Rest Finger to Open or not on iPhone 7?

Luiz Brunner

May 23, 2015
Visit site
Sure a feature designed for the new home button on iPhone 7, but I can't figure out what would be the advantage of keeping Rest Finger to Open off. What's the concept of unlocking my phone and not be brought to the home screen automatically?

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
What's the concept of unlocking my phone and not be brought to the home screen automatically?

You can see the notifications that you missed on the lockscreen if you don't go directly to the home screen. If you don't think that's important or necessary, of course go back to rest to unlock.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
You can see the notifications that you missed on the lockscreen if you don't go directly to the home screen. If you don't think that's important or necessary, of course go back to rest to unlock.

You can see them with raise to wake on, but for older devices without that, the push button (vs rest finger) to open can help.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Well, the other reason is that pressing the home button signals an intention to unlock, rather than accidentally resting your finger on the home button. I suppose that can be intentional, too, but a physical press is an action, like the old slide to unlock. But, again, it can be turned off if you don't like it.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Well, not that I don't like it.... just don't understand the use of it specially with the raise to wake function.

Even with raise to wake, if you have some apps' notifications set to not allow replies from the lockscreen, you can rest your finger on the home button. which will unlock the phone without proceeding to the home screen, and then interact with those notifications, or even see notifications that are allowed with an unlocked phone but not on the lock screen.

For example, I have my phone (a 6s and not a 7, but it also has raise to wake) set not to allow replies to iMessages/text messages from the lock screen, so nobody can pick up my phone to answer a message. However, if I rest to unlock the phone without pressing home, I can then answer the message from the lock screen.

Honestly, though, I could live with it either way, particularly with raise to wake.

Luiz Brunner

May 23, 2015
Visit site
Now I got it! Because I allow responses from my lock screen I could not justify the disabling of the Rest the Finger to Open. I can reply all my messages without unlocking the phone and planing to keep that way, so going back to good and old rest Finger to Open.
Regards!