Threaded Mail after updating to iOS 10

JM19

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
Noticed that my mail accounts don't look the same after updating to iOS 10. Primarily in referring to threaded emails. It's just looks so weird compared to how it was before updating.

Anyway I can get it to look how it was before? Any settings I can tweak?

According to Apple this new update makes it easier to view emails that are part of a thread but I strongly disagree.

Some emails I can't find or I have to click around too much to get to the one email I'm looking for.

Somebody please help. Thank u all.

MaxSmarties

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
I'm sharing your frustration, and so far I couldn't find a solution. Threaded mails are a mess on iOS 10. Latest mails are supposed to be on top, but the are a lot of inconsistencies and redundancy.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Noticed that my mail accounts don't look the same after updating to iOS 10. Primarily in referring to threaded emails. It's just looks so weird compared to how it was before updating.

Anyway I can get it to look how it was before? Any settings I can tweak?.

Settings / Mail and turn off "Organize by thread"?

hedger48

Sep 26, 2016
Visit site
i agree with original poster, iOS 10 has ruined mail; nearly unusable for large strings. turning off conversations does remove the complicated mess but sacrifices the easy/clear/fast conversation view that used to be.

Please let me use the old conversation view, the new view makes long email threads impossible to view on an iphone. I never felt the need to try 3rd party mail apps but Apple really did a job on the mail app this time.

JM19

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
Thank you all who have responded. I'm glad that I'm not alone here. I'm surprised that I haven't seen many more people discussing this. I really hope Apple does something about this and release an update to address this issue.

bauger34

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Hoping this gets traction. Always thought email on iOS was done really well. iOS 10 ruined that with the new threaded view. Makes me miss Touchdown back when I was on Android.
Take me back to iOS 9!

atrium2016

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
Hiya, I share the frustrations fully. The thread function was much better in the 9-version.
I wanted to write feedback to
Feedback - iPhone - Apple
but Version 10.0.2 is not even given as an option in the pre-defined list of software versions. Did the Version escape by mistake?

nsharleygirl

Sep 30, 2016
Visit site
Hiya, I share the frustrations fully. The thread function was much better in the 9-version.
I wanted to write feedback to
[URL="https://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html#mn_p]Feedback - iPhone - Apple[/URL]
but Version 10.0.2 is not even given as an option in the pre-defined list of software versions. Did the Version escape by mistake?

I can not use the email as it is after the update.
I am now looking for a new mail app.
Any suggestions?

I need to have a user friendly email for reading threads.

Thank you

You can now complain about iOS 10. The option is available.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
People hate change. If it had been the other way around, and Apple changed it, we'd likely hate the way it used to be.

It took me about a week to get used to it. I haven't bothered to change it back. I don't think I will. It seems to result in me missing fewer emails that I used to ? especially the ones I got lost in threads.

If it really bothers you, go into settings, mail, and tweak some of the toggles.

Go back-and-forth and see if you can find a configuration you really like.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
People hate change. If it had been the other way around, and Apple changed it, we'd likely hate the way it used to be.

It took me about a week to get used to it. I haven't bothered to change it back. I don't think I will. It seems to result in me missing fewer emails that I used to ? especially the ones I got lost in threads.

If it really bothers you, go into settings, mail, and tweak some of the toggles.

Go back-and-forth and see if you can find a configuration you really like.

I don't hate change, but the text on emails now is so tiny it's not usable.

Carey S

Sep 30, 2016
Visit site
To fix this go to Settings
Choose Mail
Under the Threading section turn ON "Most recent messages on top" and turn OFF "Organize by thread".

lynnliss123

Sep 30, 2016
Visit site
I hate this new format, and agree with all of the other posts on this thread stating the same. Thank you for starting a thread on this awfully frustrating experience of which you can't turn the format back to to before, other than just turning off threads all together. I've noticed the same issues, I have to search through the entire chain to find particularly emails, I have a hard time replying sometimes to one particular email and then sometimes the most recent email doesn't even show up in the right place. It's all incredibly frustrating and I'm definitely going to send my complaints and hope for a fix from apple. Thanks! Lynn

Mongo MF

Oct 5, 2016
Visit site
IMHO This is clearly the worst iOS upgrade...more than just the MAIL app which as others have stated is no longer useful to me. Duplicates are shown, it isnt obvious that an email was sent. Frustrated is not sufficient in describing the user experience. I've never needed to know before...is there a method to revert back to iOS 9.x

JM19

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
IMHO This is clearly the worst iOS upgrade...more than just the MAIL app which as others have stated is no longer useful to me. Duplicates are shown, it isnt obvious that an email was sent. Frustrated is not sufficient in describing the user experience. I've never needed to know before...is there a method to revert back to iOS 9.x

U can revert back to iOS 9 but you have to have a backup of your iPhone while it was still running 9. Then you would restore the device using that backup.

Owen007

Oct 7, 2016
Visit site
Yes. Apple has really messed up threaded mail. I seriously doubt they care enough to fix this. Don't hold your breath... So, can anybody suggest a really good 3rd party email utility please? Thx!!!

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Yes. Apple has really messed up threaded mail. I seriously doubt they care enough to fix this. Don't hold your breath... So, can anybody suggest a really good 3rd party email utility please? Thx!!!

Outlook and Airmail are good. I use gmail, so I use the Google In Box and stock Gmail apps. Threads are great in those apps...