Notifications not showing on phone when connected to Apple Watch

tut00

Jun 18, 2009
www.wowzersoftware.com
Hi,

So I noticed the other day that I kept missing text messages and emails on my phone if I didn't feel my Watch buzz. After some digging here is what I've come up with.

If the Watch is connected, emails and messages will not light up, alert, or vibrate my phone if the screen is locked. However if I disconnect the Watch it will. If the phone is unlocked I will get alerts.

Anyone else experience this? Same thing happens on my wife's phone. Using iOS 10.0.2 and latest Watch OS.

Graham Lee77

May 23, 2015
Visit site
I think it's always been that way, since ios8. At least that's how my iPhone and Apple Watch have acted. If the watch is on and unlocked then no notifications will show on the phone unless it's unlocked as well or the screen is on on the lock screen.

tut00

Jun 18, 2009
www.wowzersoftware.com
I think it's always been that way, since ios8. At least that's how my iPhone and Apple Watch have acted. If the watch is on and unlocked then no notifications will show on the phone unless it's unlocked as well or the screen is on on the lock screen.

Hmm... Maybe I'm wrong... just feel like I used to get the notifications on my phone.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Hmm... Maybe I'm wrong... just feel like I used to get the notifications on my phone.

If your screen is on when notification comes through, you won't get it on your watch. If your screen is asleep when it comes through, you will get it on your watch. I found it weird when I first got my AW but now I appreciate it. I think you should be able to change that in the Apple Watch app if you want to customize how you receive different notification types.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Yup, it's meant to be that way. If your watch is alerting you, there's no reason to have the watch buzz too. If you're missing alerts, set the haptic to be stronger in the watch app in your phone.