Official iOS 10.0.2 Now Available

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
I just wanna say that i hate what they did to "slide to unlock". i really think that it's a stupid move to do that. i mean, it's a HOME button. it's sole purpose is to take you to home itself. not like a door that would open you to your iphone's world. i just don't get why they had to ditch slide and opt to pressing the home button.

apg300

Mar 20, 2016
Visit site
I just wanna say that i hate what they did to "slide to unlock". i really think that it's a stupid move to do that. i mean, it's a HOME button. it's sole purpose is to take you to home itself. not like a door that would open you to your iphone's world. i just don't get why they had to ditch slide and opt to pressing the home button.

I can see what you mean. It was a good feature.
Devices with fingerprint sensors may not be as much affected though -- since a finger-rest on the home button unlocks the device.
However, for devices without the fingerprint sensors (that necessitate actual press on the home button) -- well, I can just imagine how quickly the home button could wear out over time.

clouds0222

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
I'm noticing on the new lockscreen, I don't have to press the home button to unlock my screen, I can lay my finger on the home button like before and it unlocks with Touch ID. I don't have that setting activated in Settings either. I guess it's a glitch. I thought in iOS 10 you had to PRESS the home button now? Am I missing something?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I'm noticing on the new lockscreen, I don't have to press the home button to unlock my screen, I can lay my finger on the home button like before and it unlocks with Touch ID. I don't have that setting activated in Settings either. I guess it's a glitch. I thought in iOS 10 you had to PRESS the home button now? Am I missing something?

It's in Settings > General > Accessibility > Home button > "rest finger to open".

SprSynJn

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
Official iOS 10 Now Available

I don't have the "rest finger to open" setting activated....but my phone is doing it anyway.

Are you hitting the home button to wake your phone? Because that is what I am doing and I'm also having the same result as you. I chalked it up to that.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone had problems after updating over the air versus using iTunes? Usually I update via the latter, but I couldn't be bothered this time so I did it the former as it's much simpler. No issues for those who did the same?

Last edited:

apg300

Mar 20, 2016
Visit site
Are you hitting the home button to wake your phone? Because that is what I am doing and I'm also having the same result as you. I chalked it up to that.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone had problems after updating over the air versus using iTunes? Usually I update via the latter, but I couldn't be bothered this time so I did it the former as it's much simpler. No issues for those who did the same?

I'm with you SprSynJn. Successfully updated OTA. No issues encountered at all.
I initially wanted to update my devices via iTunes -- but experienced download failures.

SprSynJn

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
Unfortunately I've had a few of those random restarts, so it looks like I'm going to have to restore from my iMac. Pity, it was running quite well with just the OTA update for at least a few days. Was hoping it would be alright with just that.

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
exactly. im using an iphone 5 and actually requiring me to press the home button is nightmare. i've done everything to take care of it and now this?? apple shouldn't have included the iphone 5/5c for the ios10. considering that it's relatively old, thus won't really embrace the new updates as graceful as the newer iphones.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
exactly. im using an iphone 5 and actually requiring me to press the home button is nightmare. i've done everything to take care of it and now this?? apple shouldn't have included the iphone 5/5c for the ios10. considering that it's relatively old, thus won't really embrace the new updates as graceful as the newer iphones.

What does having to press the home button do for the upgrade? I'm confused.

If it doesn't run well (i.e. as smooth, etc.) as iOS 8 or 9 I understand that, but the jump from home button and "shouldn't have included the iPhone 5/5c" doesn't seem to make sense.

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
What does having to press the home button do for the upgrade? I'm confused.

If it doesn't run well (i.e. as smooth, etc.) as iOS 8 or 9 I understand that, but the jump from home button and "shouldn't have included the iPhone 5/5c" doesn't seem to make sense.

i mean, the actual pressing of the home button. unlike the new iphones that have finger print scanner, they can unlock their phones easily. but with 5/5c, we still need to press the home button to unlock. im concerned about the health of my home button. pressing it to unlock my iphone just added to percentage of chance of it wearing. my power button has long been gone so my only option to wake it up is by pressing the home, now i gotta do twice just to unlock, especially when in a hurry.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
i mean, the actual pressing of the home button. unlike the new iphones that have finger print scanner, they can unlock their phones easily. but with 5/5c, we still need to press the home button to unlock. im concerned about the health of my home button. pressing it to unlock my iphone just added to percentage of chance of it wearing. my power button has long been gone so my only option to wake it up is by pressing the home, now i gotta do twice just to unlock, especially when in a hurry.

Enable the home button in Assistive Touch in Accessibility. That saves a lot of home button taps.

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
Enable the home button in Assistive Touch in Accessibility. That saves a lot of home button taps.

When I open the Smart Cover on my iPad Air & press the Home area of Assistive Touch it brings me to the lock screen.
No need o press the home button.
Good Luck

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh