Can I safely download iOS Public Beta 7 now ( 8/23/16) on my primary device?

Oct 4, 2015
Visit site
Because so many articles appear on these pages re iOS 10 and how to use it, I wonder if it would be beneficial (and safe) now to download Public Beta 7 without suffering too many annoying bugs on my device. I fear that by the time iOS is finally released, since so many articles have already been written about it here, there'll be no more iMore instructions available on how to use it for those of us who waited. How to use the new OS will no longer be current. Maybe I'm in a minority and most of your readers are already Public Beta members.

xboxbml

Jul 13, 2016
Visit site
I wouldn't do it quite yet...but that's me.. I used to be a registered Dev and do betas all the time on daily driver and go back if it was too bad... I used iCloud contacts and calendar and never had an issue.. I recently started using iCloud Photo Library and don't want to take any chances with my pics!.. I won't touch betas anymore.. I'll wait for 10.1 or so..

TwitchyPuppy

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
Yep! It's already quite stable. I have it on my Daily Driver (Dev Beta, but same build number) and there's nothing wrong to be said.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
It's still a beta. So I won't say "Absolutely go for it. No problems" simply because everyones mileage may vary. Some aren't having a single issue (such as me) but I have seen others having issues with WiFi or bluetooth. I will say overall it is a very solid build and my personal experience is so positive that I have no regrets. Just go into it understanding that it is still a beta, bugs are a part of the game and there is no guarantee that you won't experience a single issue. Do go into it expecting perfection. Then you won't be disappointed.

If you do make the jump, enjoy. I am!

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
It's still a beta. So I won't say "Absolutely go for it. No problems" simply because everyones mileage may vary. Some aren't having a single issue (such as me) but I have seen others having issues with WiFi or bluetooth. I will say overall it is a very solid build and my personal experience is so positive that I have no regrets. Just go into it understanding that it is still a beta, bugs are a part of the game and there is no guarantee that you won't experience a single issue. Do go into it expecting perfection. Then you won't be disappointed.

If you do make the jump, enjoy. I am!

What he said... plus - it's not that hard to revert back to the last version of iOS9 as long as you do a backup before you make the jump to iOS10 beta.

Last edited:

Chris Kerrigan

May 14, 2013
Visit site
I'd say it's pretty safe at this point to use the beta as a daily driver, but as always make a backup of your device before installing the beta just in case. I haven't had a single issue with the latest beta, which is a first with iOS 10.

badelhas

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
I'd say it's pretty safe at this point to use the beta as a daily driver, but as always make a backup of your device before installing the beta just in case. I haven't had a single issue with the latest beta, which is a first with iOS 10.
I agree. It's stable but a iTunes backup is always the first thing to do before this.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
What is the build for pb7? I'm at v14A5345a and I'm not getting a SU indication for pb7. I think I'm at pb6.

Trigati

Sep 1, 2015
Visit site
PB6 is the newest beta and you have it. There's a developer beta 7 but it's the same as PB6.

Is that how it works? I thought that PB6 was the public release of DB6 after developers sent in the most critical issues and they got fixed?

Ariza16

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
This has been my first year downloading a BETA and since PB1 it's been quite stable. Couple annoyances here and there but pretty stable, now with PB6 its running smooth on my primary device (iPhone 6s Plus). go for it, you should be fine.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Is that how it works? I thought that PB6 was the public release of DB6 after developers sent in the most critical issues and they got fixed?

Not necessarily. But the dev beta began before the public beta. When dev 2 hit, then public 1 hit. So dev will continue to be 1 ahead this time. But they are the same build.

Oct 4, 2015
Visit site
Thanks so much for all of the responses. I made the switch to PB6 (not DB7, my mistake), and it is just fine. Thank you all so much for your support. Now if I could just muster the courage to try OS Sierra. Nah, I think I'll wait till it's released to the general public.

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
It's solid, go for it. Battery life is great and I really haven't had any issues on the latest beta. Everything is working great for me.