Need some help with iCloud Backup

anon(9132077)

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
Hey Guys-

I searched and couldn't find this topic anywhere else but need some help. My wife's phone will not backup to iCloud while connected to WiFi, plugged in, and locked screen as mine does. The option is selected, she has the 50 GB iCloud package, so plenty of room there too. It shows "Never" under latest backup.

I searched online elsewhere and saw a few options, such as reboot, update software, sign out and then back in iCloud, etc and tried them all. I cannot for the life of me see why this this isn't backing up. It's a 6S+.

Apple support on Apple.com didn't describe much for me either. My last options are any help for you guys, or taking it in to Apple Store.

Thanks

anon(9132077)

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
To add to this. I click "Backup Now" to try a manual iCloud backup, and it gets near the end and says it cannot be completed. No other reason or popups.

anon(9132077)

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site

anon(9132077)

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
Update: Contacted Apple support, walked me through a bunch of trouble shooting steps. Turns out I had to reset all settings (not content), and it allowed a manual iCloud back at that point, where it wouldn't before. She advised me that it should be all fixed now. I will see tonight if it does it overnight as it should. If not, the last step is to reset as new phone back to factory settings.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Update: Contacted Apple support, walked me through a bunch of trouble shooting steps. Turns out I had to reset all settings (not content), and it allowed a manual iCloud back at that point, where it wouldn't before. She advised me that it should be all fixed now. I will see tonight if it does it overnight as it should. If not, the last step is to reset as new phone back to factory settings.

Glad you got your issue worked out! I'll make sure I keep that reset all settings tidbit in my memory bank.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

Cool! Reset All Settings isn't all that bad. I just did it last week. Don't forget to reset any alarms in the clock app.

anon(9132077)

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
Update: I check my wife's phone this morning and saw that it did not backup while plugged in, locked, and connected to WiFi.... It shows the latest backup as the one I manually did after resetting settings.

Looks like we need to Armageddon the phone back to factory settings and wipe it clean as a new phone. That is what the tech said would be the next step as everything else was exhausted.

anon(9132077)

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
Update: Wiped phone all the way clean and restored as new iPhone. STILL did not solve the issue. Apple support looked into it again to see if it was the iCloud account and it was not, due to her iPad backing up just fine. It is the phone itself. That tech said they've been with Apple for quite some time and never seen this before. We have an appointment to go get another phone.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Update: Wiped phone all the way clean and restored as new iPhone. STILL did not solve the issue. Apple support looked into it again to see if it was the iCloud account and it was not, due to her iPad backing up just fine. It is the phone itself. That tech said they've been with Apple for quite some time and never seen this before. We have an appointment to go get another phone.

There's been issues with iCloud back ups since iOS 9 began. I do all mine manually now. Most of the time it works. But sometimes not, and I have to start over.

Honey Beagle

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
I have no haven't any problems up with iCloud backups. Besides the password issue that I had that I solved. I backed up my iPad Pro 12.9 and iPhone 4s without any problems. My other devices are too old for version 9.

Last edited:

anon(9132077)

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
Final Update: After doing a fresh reset as new iPhone iCloud backups are working fine. I thought a POSSIBLE reason it was having problems was either (1)- she had dual authentication activated before, and now I turned that off, or (2)- her work email being set up on her phone required her to change her PIN every few months. We haven't set that back up on her phone again yet.