iOS 9.3.2 horrible battery life

Sal Bandini

Jun 24, 2016
Visit site
I had same issue when upgrading to 9.3.2. Battery would drain within hours. Restoring as new phone did NOT solve it. Restoring in DFU recovery mode did NOT help. Went to Apple store twice where they did not help. Phone was 18 months old and finally got new one for $79.

Went home to restore backup but versions were different. New phone had 9.2.1, so I upgraded to 9.3.2. Same result. Battery would drain quickly.

The solution to this is to sign up as public beta tester and get Beta 9.3.3 over the air. I did this and now the battery life is good. Go here to sign up:

https://beta.apple.com/sp/betaprogram/

You can try others' suggestions but I would highly recommend your first upgrade to beta 9.3.3.

Last edited:

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I had same issue when upgrading to 9.3.2. Battery would drain within hours. Restoring as new phone did NOT solve it. Restoring in DFU recovery mode did NOT help. Went to Apple store twice where they did not help. Phone was 18 months old and finally got new one for $79.

Went home to restore backup but versions were different. New phone had 9.2.1, so I upgraded to 9.3.2. Same result. Battery would drain quickly.

The solution to this is to sign up as public beta tester and get Beta 9.3.3 over the air. I did this and now the battery life is good. Go here to sign up:

https://beta.apple.com/sp/betaprogram/

Do not listen to those that say check this check that, turn off this, reset that, nothing will help but a newer software version.

Welcome to iMore! Everyone is entitled to their opinions. In my six years of experience with multiple iOS devices I can confidently say that there are many factors that can cause battery drain. Simply upgrading to a newer version of iOS is rarely the solution.

Sal Bandini

Jun 24, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the warm welcome.

Since I have experienced it first hand and just solved it late last night it is more than an opinion. If 9.3.2 drains battery on my 2 phones, one of them being brand new from Apple store, then it is obvious that 9.3.2 has battery issue. My comment about ignoring the advice is for this issue specifically.

I know my solution works while the suggestions of others are just that, suggestions. My solution takes about the same time as restoring as new and will solve battery issue, as I have proven on my phone.

I spent countless hours trying to solve this issue and finally did. I understand the frustration of these various posters and signed up with express purpose of giving them this information so they can get their phones back to normal.

Sorry if my post came off harsh but I really don't want to see others wasting precious time chasing dead ends like I did.

Beta 9.3.3 ftw. Money back guarantee if it doesn't work. :)

Sal Bandini

Jun 24, 2016
Visit site
I'm also curious to know since some have issue and some don't as to what carrier people have. Is it specific to one carrier? I have Verizon, btw.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
My wife and I are having the same exact issue of massive battery drain after installing 9.3.2 and here's the scary part: I backed up my phone and did a full reset, then set it up as a brand new phone so I am running nothing but ios and native apps. No mail. Nothing else other than phone and messaging.
And the result is that with zero usage and no 3rd party apps to blame I'm still burning through a full charge in about 8 hours of standby.
Verdict? POS 9.3.2 blows.
I read on another forum that a Genius Bar staff member diagnosed a customers 9.3.2 phone and found a service repeatedly crashing and restarting was causing his battery drain, fwiw.
The areas to concentrate most are push notifications, location services, and screen brightness. Also system services in location services. Turn notifications for apps off that aren't necessary. Those are push notifications just as email notifications are. They use a lot of battery.

Joe Owens

Jun 5, 2016
Visit site
I had shut all that stuff down. My phone was barely better than I brick at that point. I threw in the towel and we both traded up for SE's. Same OS, yet battery life is amazing. Don't want to be labeled a tin-hatter but hmmmm, iPhone sales sucked, new release basically hoses everything prior to 6S, everyone runs out and gets new phones. Coincidence?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I had shut all that stuff down. My phone was barely better than I brick at that point. I threw in the towel and we both traded up for SE's. Same OS, yet battery life is amazing. Don't want to be labeled a tin-hatter but hmmmm, iPhone sales sucked, new release basically hoses everything prior to 6S, everyone runs out and gets new phones. Coincidence?

Thankfully, iOS 9.3.2 doesn't affect everyone's device in that manner. I'm also glad you were able to get the iPhone SE and move past the issues you were having.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

There's always a lemon. But as D' said, fortunately everyone doesn't have that issue.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods