Flat Design in iOS 10?

melbsteve

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site

it obviously all comes down to personal taste, but there's nothing I for one would want less than that look ;-) I liked the flat design since iOS7 and don't want it to go anywhere. Had to set my MacBook back to factory settings a couple weeks ago and ended up putting snow leopard on for a short while... it looked so so dated to me, couldn't believe it. But hey, each to their own!

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
it obviously all comes down to personal taste, but there's nothing I for one would want less than that look ;-) I liked the flat design since iOS7 and don't want it to go anywhere. Had to set my MacBook back to factory settings a couple weeks ago and ended up putting snow leopard on for a short while... it looked so so dated to me, couldn't believe it. But hey, each to their own!

I hate the flat look. It's cold with no character. I like the iOS 6 look better than anything since.

AustinIllini

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
I hate the flat look. It's cold with no character. I like the iOS 6 look better than anything since.

iOS 6 looks dated and bad. Sorry, but the fake leather and paper and all these things that just didn't work and caused the whole experience to deteriorate. Fake textures come off as cheap, whether they be plastic or on a screen. Yes, there are some things that still don't quite look right, but overall, iOS is beautiful the way it is three versions into this second generation.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
iOS 6 looks dated and bad. Sorry, but the fake leather and paper and all these things that just didn't work and caused the whole experience to deteriorate. Fake textures come off as cheap, whether they be plastic or on a screen. Yes, there are some things that still don't quite look right, but overall, iOS is beautiful the way it is three versions into this second generation.

I have to agree with you. The old design is very dated. I never liked the textures even before iOS 7.

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
They can update to improve the basic look with textures and shadows. Flat looks like windows. Boring.

It's the fad. Google is doing the same thing. I'm sure at some point they'll bring back the shadows and add some contrast. It can't get much more minimalist than it is currently.

AustinIllini

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
I have to agree with you. The old design is very dated. I never liked the textures even before iOS 7.

Right. If it doesn't have texture, don't make it look like it does. Screens are flat, so flat just makes so much sense. Both Google (cards) and Apple (layers) have figured out how to do flat right (Microsoft played a huge part in the flat trend, but their idea of flat was tasteless).

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I like the simple flat look a lot. I hope they don't take a step back.

Consumer tastes shift over time. I don't think they'll ever go back to an iOS 6 design but who knows what will happen over an extended period.
That being said, I hope they don't take a step back either.

Rolandh

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
I like the direction they've gone with the more modular & slightly less flat looking Notification Centre/Today view & Control Centre.

The two tone card style Notifications & Today widgets definitely look better than the old ones.

It's nice to see a little bit of customisation in the Today screen even if it's only the ability to remove the travel times that's provided by Apple Maps. I've got Google Maps Installed & use the Travel Times Widget provide by Google Maps instead.

Roland

lpelullo

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
Clearly they've stuck with flat, and thank goodness! I couldn't imagine them going back to a pre-iOS 7 design language. Especially not after so few iterations.

The previous design now looks outdated, like others have said. I'm a huge fan of flat & material design.

I'd also love to see round app icons. If you look around elsewhere, you'll see that round icons, etc. are being used a lot. It's where modern design language is headed.

Ursus Rufus

Mar 11, 2015
Visit site
I hear possible changes, but probably the same yucky flat theme. I still don't like it. I would rather have a new version of iOS 6. I like textures and shadows.

Wow. So glad I'm not the only one. I still have my old 4S as a backup and it still has iOS 6.1.3. Have had to use it a few times and I always marvel at the beautiful attention to detail and form.
Those who say it looks dated among other things maybe just haven't studied the fundamentals of aesthetics. One of those basically states that if something looks outdated, just wait a while longer.
Cheers, Ledsteplin. If there's two of us there's more. And if there's more, there's hope. We'll... Just wait a while longer.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Wow. So glad I'm not the only one. I still have my old 4S as a backup and it still has iOS 6.1.3. Have had to use it a few times and I always marvel at the beautiful attention to detail and form.
Those who say it looks dated among other things maybe just haven't studied the fundamentals of aesthetics. One of those basically states that if something looks outdated, just wait a while longer.
Cheers, Ledsteplin. If there's two of us there's more. And if there's more, there's hope. We'll... Just wait a while longer.

Make that three. I luv that "dated" look. It has "pizazz" and "personality", not the flat boring look...IMHO.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
What would be nice is having an option to switch between the flat icons and shiny glass icons. I'd always have shiny glass icons on my screen.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR