How important is a VPN on iOS?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Many use a VPN. I never have in the 4 years I've owned an iPhone, and no problems at all. I guess it depends on location and use habits. I'm really not sure. I've just never seen the need for it.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
A good deal of people access their work computers or work email from their devices or from their home computers, and many companies require the use of a VPN to connect to their computers/servers to safeguard the data therein. Others who frequent various websites, check email, and access their home servers from public Hotspots also use a VPN connection to safeguard them and their data. Therefore, in that respect, a VPN connection is very important. I use a VPN connection in conjunction with the examples above.

Last edited:

muchospanish

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the responses. I also haven't felt the need for one on iOS. I definitely would be using one on a laptop. I read about a hacker who could see what everyone was doing on their laptops in Starbucks, but I don't think he'd have been able to do it on iOS. I'm not 100% sure, though.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the responses. I also haven't felt the need for one on iOS. I definitely would be using one on a laptop. I read about a hacker who could see what everyone was doing on their laptops in Starbucks, but I don't think he'd have been able to do it on iOS. I'm not 100% sure, though.

You're welcome. Now in regard to iOS, if I'm using my iPhone or iPad Pro on a public Wi-Fi network then I will automatically initiate an VPN connection. It's second nature to me.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Though it was a little flawed and a little irresponsible, the CBS news show 60 minutes last night had a segment about dangers of using public WiFi on mobile phones. One key flaw is that somebody could sit in a place like Starbucks with their own WiFi access point that looks just like Starbucks and be able to intercept your traffic if you connect to it rather than to the Starbucks AP. Well designed apps and email accounts that use TLS/SSL connections would be fine, but they showed how they were able to get the reporter's full Uber account information, including the credit card that she was using for the account (though it's possible that they intercepted that by compromising her insecure email account - they never said that they just got the data from the WiFi packets.)

It's rare when I use public WiFi - I just use mobile data when I am out and about - but, when I do, I immediately connect to a VPN service, just in case.

Rockdog97

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
I've seen VPN services on places like Groupon advertizing a lifetime subscription for like $50 (or whatever the cost is).. does this sound reasonable?

604ac

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site

I "could" attach to an open WiFi spot and collect every packet using a phone or laptop. Doesn't matter if you have Android, iOS, Mac, Windows, or other OS. What matters is if you are on a secure HTTPS site, using SSL or if you are on a VPN. The best, or one of the best, VPN apps is TunnelBear. They use AES 256-bit encryption. It can run on any platform (not sure about Linux) and it's inexpensive (maybe 2 Starbuck's coffees a month). https://forums.imore.com/e?link=htt...ww.tunnelbear.com%2Fapps%2Fios&token=OVTQQ6Di

Last edited:

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I've seen VPN services on places like Groupon advertizing a lifetime subscription for like $50 (or whatever the cost is).. does this sound reasonable?

I bought a lifetime subscription to proXPN on StackSocial last fall for $39. I believe that they have this sale often. ProXPN has been a great service for me. In fact, here is a link to that deal: https://stacksocial.com/sales/proxpn-premium-lifetime

proXPN is usually $6.25/month.

However: they do use only PPTP on iOS, which is not the most secure VPN protocol. I think it's good enough to protect snooping eyes at a hotel or in Starbucks, but packets can be captured and cracked offline later. If you are trying to protect illegal activity, I wouldn't use one of these. If you are trying to keep creeps at Starbucks from seeing your traffic, I think you'll be fine with one of these solutions.

Rockdog97

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
I "could" attach to an open WiFi spot and collect every packet using a phone or laptop. Doesn't matter if you have Android, iOS, Mac, Windows, or other OS. What matters is if you are on a secure HTTPS site, using SSL or if you are on a VPN. The best, or one of the best, VPN apps is TunnelBear. They use AES 256-bit encryption. It can run on any platform (not sure about Linux) and it's inexpensive (maybe 2 Starbuck's coffees a month). https://forums.imore.com/e?link=htt...ww.tunnelbear.com%2Fapps%2Fios&token=fsKqucR7

Are you on iOS 9.x.x?

604ac

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
Are you on iOS 9.x.x?

No, sadly, my only Apple device is my iPhone 6. However, when money allows we will be getting an Apple desktop.

Sorry, misread your question, getting use to the Apple version #'s. Yes, my iPhone 6 is running iOS 9.3.1.

Last edited:

Damien_Eternal

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Im also interested in using a VPN. What would people here recommend for a good and reasonably cheap VPN service?

EDIT: Im talking for iPhone/iOS. My laptop doesnt get used in very many public spots at all.

Last edited:

RoCutler

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
I have Vpn enabled on my home network using an enabler on my mac.
Cutedge Systems has ones for the last few version of macos, and are free. They use all the native apps in macos, and make a simple gui to manage them.

If I need files, or want to be safe when I use a unknown public wifi service, then I just turn it on.

The chances of someone sniffing the packets from spoofed wifi access point is slim, and I'd hope that employees of places who provide wifi would approach anyone acting shady, or unplug any unattended devices from wall sockets etc.

Last edited:

muchospanish

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm mostly concerned about when I'm traveling outside the country. When I'm here, I use my cell data.

So:
1. My files are safe regardless from hackers, thanks to sandboxing
2. My https connections are safe, so I can log into iCloud and Gmail, do online banking, however one of the Wordpress sites that I maintain doesn't have an SSL certificate

But:
3. Apps that may not be secure will expose me
4. Someone can see which sites I'm going to (not important to me)

I'm not sure where keystroking fits in.

Anyway, If I travel for a month, I can use TunnelBear for just $7. Nice. Thanks for the tip.

604ac

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
I'm mostly concerned about when I'm traveling outside the country. When I'm here, I use my cell data.

So:
1. My files are safe regardless from hackers, thanks to sandboxing
2. My https connections are safe, so I can log into iCloud and Gmail, do online banking, however one of the Wordpress sites that I maintain doesn't have an SSL certificate

But:
3. Apps that may not be secure will expose me
4. Someone can see which sites I'm going to (not important to me)

I'm not sure where keystroking fits in.

Anyway, If I travel for a month, I can use TunnelBear for just $7. Nice. Thanks for the tip.

If you only need TunnelBear for a short time or only specific surfing needs you can use the service for free. However, you are limited to 1GB a month.
I bought the annual bundle so it's $61/y CDN, unlimited data.

I'm not a fanatic about privacy but I am starting to keep certain things at bay. Mainly Google (I use none of their apps or services any more) and ads. TB is on my phone all the time, speed loss is not a very noticeable drop but it's there, just as with any VPN service. Have fun with it, the internet should be open content but it's not. VPNs make it happen.

604ac

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
Has anyone ever tried this app? I'm trying to find out if it's worth downloading. View attachment 105545

Since it's "free" I don't think that it would be much effort in trying it out. Performance and encryption may or may not be up to par. Is it full of ads or prompting you for in-app purchases? Are you tracked or logged by the service? Just questions to think about 😎

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site

I just use Browsec for free. But yes, that's pretty reasonable if it's a well known and trusted VPN. Most VPN's would charge you around that for a year's worth of usage.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh