New control center animation when launching an app is unnecessary.

Superjudge

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Now instead of immediately launching the app when I press camera or calculator, you have to wait for CC to slide down before the app launches. I'm not sure why they thought slowing down the process for an animation was a good idea. It's not horrible but it certainly is unnecessary.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Now instead of immediately launching the app when I press camera or calculator, you have to wait for CC to slide down before the app launches. I'm not sure why they thought slowing down the process for an animation was a good idea. It's not horrible but it certainly is unnecessary.

I've been on the public beta for a while and didn't even notice the animation until you pointed it out. The extra 1/10 second I have to wait doesn't bother me. To each his/her own though!

Superjudge

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
I've been on the public beta for a while and didn't even notice the animation until you pointed it out. The extra 1/10 second I have to wait doesn't bother me. To each his/her own though!

It adds up. Making things slower even if for just a fraction of a second is never a smart choice when launching an app.

Ertank

Feb 4, 2015
Visit site
I believe animation is that control center itself is sliding down while app (camera or calculator) starting. I'm not sure it's delaying start of the application. Just multi tasking I suppose.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
It's happening on my 9.3 (6s), but like @DevilishBanker I never noticed it before. It seems to slide away at the same time camera slides in, so it's not really waiting. If you're on an older device, the delay may be longer. Try going to Settings -> General -> Accessiblity and turning ON "Reduce Motion". This will get rid of open/close app animations as well, but on an older device (if that's the case) it can make things feel quicker.

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
It's happening on my 9.3 (6s), but like @DevilishBanker I never noticed it before. It seems to slide away at the same time camera slides in, so it's not really waiting. If you're on an older device, the delay may be longer. Try going to Settings -> General -> Accessiblity and turning ON "Reduce Motion". This will get rid of open/close app animations as well, but on an older device (if that's the case) it can make things feel quicker.
I Have an iPhone 6. I have Reduce Motion turned on. I have that animation. The animation on the Control Center happesn and THEN the Calculator or Camera fades in. It does take longer, but not much.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Not on my iPhone...:)

Not mine either. I also ran the beta and never noticed it.

I've said this many times, and will more than likely say it a bazillion more; if after an update you find things not to be running as smoothly as before, perform a factory reset and test things out. This rules out file corruption sometimes caused by operating system files overwriting files or third party apps misbehaving. If things are running smoothly then you can restore from backup.... if issues persist after a restore then 9 times out of 10 you have a misbehaving app/wonky app/system settings file. You cannot simply overwrite files repeatedly and expect to have a smooth running system.

Superjudge

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Not mine either. I also ran the beta and never noticed it.

I've said this many times, and will more than likely say it a bazillion more; if after an update you find things not to be running as smoothly as before, perform a factory reset and test things out. This rules out file corruption sometimes caused by operating system files overwriting files or third party apps misbehaving. If things are running smoothly then you can restore from backup.... if issues persist after a restore then 9 times out of 10 you have a misbehaving app/wonky app/system settings file. You cannot simply overwrite files repeatedly and expect to have a smooth running system.

Oh it runs smooth. This is certainly something they intended. I don't see this as being an update issue or bug. It's a unique animation that makes sense aesthetically. It just slows things down time wise because it's an additional animation in the process of opening apps from CC. I'm not saying it slows down my phone.

Superjudge

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
As Devilishbanker said, it's a mere 1/10 of a second.

That matters though. Every additional animation slows down navigation. It's one more process that has to be used. Eventually, and you know this will be the case, the GPU will hiccup occasionally trying to initiate that animation slowing things down more. Like I said, it's not horrible but it's not necessary.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Every additional animation slows down navigation.

I experience no slow down of navigation on my phone. It runs just as quickly as it did the first day I took it out of the box.

I'm generally the one laughing at the guy getting a ticket that had zipped past me earlier driving over the speed limit because he/she needed to get there now now now now now lol.