Mark iMessage as Unread?

mavsguy842

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
My wife and I just switched from BlackBerry Z30s to a 6S and 6S Plus. Inside the BB10 hub you can mark any message/notification as read/unread with a click of an icon. I can't seem to figure out how to mark a message as unread inside the Messages app. I can see how to mark Messages as read, or emails as read/unread but not how to mark Messages as UNread.

The reason it matters is that my wife will get text messages from clients, and she often-times has to do some research before getting back to them. She would prefer to mark messages that she still needs to follow up on as unread.

Thanks to anyone with some good information.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
There's not any way to mark messages as read or Unread. You can email. You can check them by forwarding the text to yourself and adding a ✔️ to the text. That check would indicate either read or Unread.

Like this:
Press on a text and tap "more".
Make sure it's marked with the blue dot on the left. Tap the forward arrow in the lower right corner.
Enter your name in the "to" at the top.
Place the cursor on the text. Switch to the emoji keyboard and add the ✔️.
Hit send. Now you have a duplicate that is checked.

Like Robert shows below. But add a check. ✔️

Last edited:

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Unfortunately that's not an option at this time. The best you can do is to tap and hold on the text of the message, choose "more" and forward the message with text relevant to it.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453128613.557731.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453128623.324351.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453128630.709465.jpg

mavsguy842

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Thanks Ledsteplin and robertk328 for the information and suggestions. That's pretty cumbersome to do frequently. Hopefully Apple changes that in the future, or BlackBerry actually figures out how to bring the Hub to iPhone.

There are a few inefficiencies with the iPhone that I think could be fixed fairly easily and this is one of them. I'm sure I'm not the first person to think of them. The other main one I've ran into is how the transcribed text from a voicemail isn't shown inside the phone app where you can play voicemails using iOS's implementation of visual voicemail. Needing to use two apps (Messages and Phone) to read the text of, and play the audio of a voicemail is so inefficient I've setup Google Voice to handle my voicemails instead.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
Thanks Ledsteplin and robertk328 for the information and suggestions. That's pretty cumbersome to do frequently. Hopefully Apple changes that in the future, or BlackBerry actually figures out how to bring the Hub to iPhone.

There are a few inefficiencies with the iPhone that I think could be fixed fairly easily and this is one of them. I'm sure I'm not the first person to think of them. The other main one I've ran into is how the transcribed text from a voicemail isn't shown inside the phone app where you can play voicemails using iOS's implementation of visual voicemail. Needing to use two apps (Messages and Phone) to read the text of, and play the audio of a voicemail is so inefficient I've setup Google Voice to handle my voicemails instead.

The reason it is so difficult to do is because iOS allows for the ability so send "Send Read Receipts" to for messages received.

ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1453149270.683018.jpg

So people know that you have received and read their message. SMS may not be as reliable as BBM Blackberry Messaging. IOS allows Siri to read your messages. Just ask Siri. I also use iOS speech from accessibility setting to read my messages etc.

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
If you have the 6S or 6S Plus you can 3D Touch the thread to preview the message without marking the message as read.

dejanh

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
My wife and I just switched from BlackBerry Z30s to a 6S and 6S Plus. Inside the BB10 hub you can mark any message/notification as read/unread with a click of an icon. I can't seem to figure out how to mark a message as unread inside the Messages app. I can see how to mark Messages as read, or emails as read/unread but not how to mark Messages as UNread.

The reason it matters is that my wife will get text messages from clients, and she often-times has to do some research before getting back to them. She would prefer to mark messages that she still needs to follow up on as unread.

Thanks to anyone with some good information.
Former BlackBerry user here as well. Unfortunately, don't expect the iOS device to be anything close to what BlackBerry 10 was capable of in respect to communication management. It's really not designed with that in mind as the primary function. It's geared more towards entertainment and content consumption. Having said that, the rich ecosystem makes up for most of those shortcomings. The rest is just a matter of getting used to a different way of using your device. I would suggest for your wife to start taking advantage of the Siri "remind me of this" functionality. No typing required, Siri will set reminders for you automatically.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
If you have the 6S or 6S Plus you can 3D Touch the thread to preview the message without marking the message as read.

I'll have to try that. Though I went to test it and I was already in a thread so it marked it as read.

@mavsguy842 - you could always send a note to Apple via their feedback: Apple - Feedback

@dejanh brings up a good point, I've used Siri a lot for setting alarms, reminders, etc. Works great! "Remind me in 4 weeks to change the filter". Even better, when I get freebies from my cable company that last 90 days and I have to cancel. "Remind me in 88 days to cancel XYZ". "Remind me at 4pm to call Sally* back"

*names have been changed to protect the guilty

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

Not really. Just looks like it is. Not really any other choice.

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I'll have to try that. Though I went to test it and I was already in a thread so it marked it as read.

If you peek the message thread it won't mark it as read as long as you didn't read the new message yet. If you pop the message thread it will mark it as read.

mavsguy842

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Thanks to iMore's recent Siri Commands article I heard about a very convenient Siri command that my wife is going to try using which is "Hey Siri remind me of this"

It creates a reminder with a direct link to the message in the Messages app. She had been emailing herself a copy, as was suggested in this thread, and I think creating a reminder with Siri should be quite a bit easier.

dejanh

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
Thanks to iMore's recent Siri Commands article I heard about a very convenient Siri command that my wife is going to try using which is "Hey Siri remind me of this"

It creates a reminder with a direct link to the message in the Messages app. She had been emailing herself a copy, as was suggested in this thread, and I think creating a reminder with Siri should be quite a bit easier.

Yeah, thanks to the iMore article eh...what would we do without it.

Former BlackBerry user here as well. Unfortunately, don't expect the iOS device to be anything close to what BlackBerry 10 was capable of in respect to communication management. It's really not designed with that in mind as the primary function. It's geared more towards entertainment and content consumption. Having said that, the rich ecosystem makes up for most of those shortcomings. The rest is just a matter of getting used to a different way of using your device. I would suggest for your wife to start taking advantage of the Siri "remind me of this" functionality. No typing required, Siri will set reminders for you automatically.

Don't worry about me. I'm just a sourpuss today.

mavsguy842

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Sorry dejanh, your post didn't elaborate on the feature so it didn't sound as enticing as when reading the article. Life's a little harder when you've been spoiled by BB10 :(

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
Hmm, a shame there isn't a mark as unread, option for iMessage. For the first time today, I actually needed it. Maybe I'll try the Siri, reminder option.
Albeit, I don't like 'talking to myself' ;)

cariduros

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
When I want this functionality, I ask Siri to remind me to check that message while I'm in it and I get the reminder later.

traunt53

Jun 27, 2016
Visit site
The reason it is so difficult to do is because iOS allows for the ability so send "Send Read Receipts" to for messages received.

View attachment 101170

So people know that you have received and read their message. SMS may not be as reliable as BBM Blackberry Messaging. IOS allows Siri to read your messages. Just ask Siri. I also use iOS speech from accessibility setting to read my messages etc.

This is a horrible option. Why would anyone want people to know if they read the text you sent them? The only people I know who use that option, do it because they don't know they are doing that. And it's horrible because I see people "read" my text and they don't answer. Now they are jerks... No one wants people to know they read their text. Ever.

How does Apple not have an "mark as unread" option? That's the dumbest thing on the planet. I'm so tired of sending myself friggen text messages so I remember to respond to someone. Come on Apple. So simple to do, and EVERYONE wants this done.

werner6769

Apr 14, 2016
Visit site
Why is it that people are jerks if they don't respond immediately? Maybe they are busy at the moment. Or if they never get back to you, they could have forgotten about the message. Have seen so many misunderstandings with text based messaging because of things like this. For example, BBM has a sent and read notification on by default. It helps to make sure your message actually went through and was read.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
How does Apple not have an "mark as unread" option? That's the dumbest thing on the planet. I'm so tired of sending myself friggen text messages so I remember to respond to someone. Come on Apple. So simple to do, and EVERYONE wants this done.

Turn read receipts off. Plain and simple. I would say that works just fine for the vast majority of users.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice