Alternative to One drive?

razza1987

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
So when I had my S6 I was given 130gb of free storage on my phone for one drive. Since I moved back over to ios I have tried to ios one drive app but it is absolute garbage. Photos not uploading properly in the background, photos uploading in the wrong order, photos that get moved from one album to another scrambling in the wrong order. The ios app of one drive is complete and utter rubbish compared to the android version

I was just wondering what alternatives people use to one drive on here. I tried to put up with it but I couldn't. It was just getting too ridiculous

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
My favorite is Box. I also use Dropbox for a few specific uses. But Box is where I keep most of my photos, short videos, gifs, and png images. Box has a really nice Notes feature I use as well. I don't do the auto upload thing. I have many folders and subfolders set up. It's very organized. Some subfolders go 4 and 5 deep. I don't upload all the photos on my camera roll at one time because so much is junk. I do a lot of photo editing and photoshop. I find OneDrive to be clunky. I have auto uploaded my photos to OneDrive, but only in situations where I need to empty my camera roll quickly for a restore. I don't know what OneDrive is like on Android. I don't know why Microsoft can't make it at least the same on iOS, if not better. Google does great with their apps on iOS. I use the free version of Box. I got 50 gb with a special. The free normally offers 10 gb. The free also limits video file size to just over 500 mb. Most of my videos are less than 4 minutes anyways. Good luck.

anon(5140585)

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
I have only had issues with photos uploading in the prior versions of the app, but not with the latest update. I prefer OneDrive because my main email is a MS account and with that i get Word, Excel, etc? web versions.

DropBox is good too, but costly compared to MS storage.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
So when I had my S6 I was given 130gb of free storage on my phone for one drive. Since I moved back over to ios I have tried to ios one drive app but it is absolute garbage. Photos not uploading properly in the background, photos uploading in the wrong order, photos that get moved from one album to another scrambling in the wrong order. The ios app of one drive is complete and utter rubbish compared to the android version

I was just wondering what alternatives people use to one drive on here. I tried to put up with it but I couldn't. It was just getting too ridiculous

There are numerous cloud storage solutions to choose from and they all have pros and cons. Try several of them and then decide which one suits your needs best.

razza1987

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
I'm currently taking google drive out for a spin. Already it's better than one drive with the fact it puts stuff in the correct order

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I'm currently taking google drive out for a spin. Already it's better than one drive with the fact it puts stuff in the correct order

If you do Google Drive, you may as well do Google Photos. They kind of go hand in hand. I have to admit Google Photos is kind of neat.

Andrew Rossetti

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
If you do Google Drive, you may as well do Google Photos. They kind of go hand in hand. I have to admit Google Photos is kind of neat.

And best of all, Google Photos offers unlimited storage for photos as long as you opt for high quality and not original quality. Basically that means up to 16MP photos and limited to 1080p video (no 4K). Not a bad deal at all, and most experts that have compared the original to high quality can't discren a measurable difference in quality.

JML5150

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Personally Google Photos, It streams faster that One Drive and Box. Also GIF files and Videos animate in thumbnail view. Just be careful sending links to photos. I believe there is a way to alter the link to gain access to your library via web browser.

fabio984

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
I have one drive (1TB ) and works fine. I have the background photos update "off" so it only sends photos when I open the app ( my choice ). Try Dropbox ...

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
I realize you are looking for a OneDrive alternative. Here is what I have done. I purchased a 5TB Seagate Personal Cloud NAS instead of using anything that was going to cost me for additional storage down the road. It did cost me some coin, but was worth it as I only have to pay once and done. I now have my own personal cloud for storage which only I can access. Works extremely well with IOS. It come with it's own apps that serve it well. Store everything in order and never mixes things up.

I do use Google Drive and Google Photos for small things as they work well as already stated. I realize you may want free storage, but this is another way to look at it.

Last edited:

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
I just ordered this from Amazon. I'm connecting it to my Time Capsule so I can access it on my home network.
Seagate Expansion 3TB Desktop External Hard Drive USB 3.0 (STEB3000100) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TKFEEJ...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUimUvbUpU2709664

Great drives, hence my suggestion. I have a 3 TB Seagate for cloning my drive. I went for a Seagate Personal Cloud so I had remote access to it when with clients and need to access my files. Many advantages to a NAS. No need to ever pay for cloud storage either. Accessible by any device or computer that has the Seagate Media app installed. Found having my own cloud to be really advantageous.

eve6er69

Trusted Member
Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm all over Google photos. Unlimited storage and I have it set to back up when I launch the app. Does a great job at doing this with videos and pictures. Photos also just released a new update working with Live Photos.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I have them all but for photos, I upload them to Amazon's cloud service bc it's free and unlimited photo storage if you have Prime.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I'm all over Google photos. Unlimited storage and I have it set to back up when I launch the app. Does a great job at doing this with videos and pictures. Photos also just released a new update working with Live Photos.

I may have to look into this. Is the unlimited service free?

MaxSmarties

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
I don't know how you can use Google Photos and Google Drive, since they are scanning your data to monetize it, but ok, your choice...

I'm using DropBox, mainly, but even OneDrive: having an Office 365 account, I have 1 Tb of cloud space.
Microsoft keep updating OneDrive app for iOS, so you could check if now it's better.