Question about the Notes app, can I get some help?

simplylaurakb

Apr 11, 2010
Visit site
Question about the Notes app

I've noticed that the drawing feature in Notes only works on the iCloud account, not the one linked to my gmail account. Is there any way to export all my notes from my gmail account to my iCloud account in Notes, so that I can turn off Notes for gmail in Settings, and just use the iCloud account?

Thanks,
Laura

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Question about the Notes app

I've noticed that the drawing feature in Notes only works on the iCloud account, not the one linked to my gmail account. Is there any way to export all my notes from my gmail account to my iCloud account in Notes, so that I can turn off Notes for gmail in Settings, and just use the iCloud account?

Thanks,
Laura

It's best to link Notes to iCloud and not Gmail. You'll have fewer problems that way. And your notes will always be there in iCloud. You won't lose them. iCloud is the only one the drawing works in as far as I know. Do you have a specific reason to link Notes to Gmail?
See mine is only iCloud.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447864713.210490.jpg

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Re: Question about the Notes app

If you turn your current Notes OFF for Gmail, the notes will show in your Gmail Notes folder in Mail.

simplylaurakb

Apr 11, 2010
Visit site

Thanks! Yeah, that's the point - I'm trying to only use iCloud from now on. So, no way to import my gmail notes in? Good to know they'd still be in my gmail account, but I'd never think to look for them there.

Laura

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

Thanks! Yeah, that's the point - I'm trying to only use iCloud from now on. So, no way to import my gmail notes in? Good to know they'd still be in my gmail account, but I'd never think to look for them there.

Laura

Yeah. If Notes are toggled on in Settings for Gmail, you won't see the folder. It only shows with notes off.

kurpaige

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site

Laura

Does it show up in a gmail folder? If so the only way I know is if you have a mac you would just drag them to the icloud folder. Haven't found a way to save to a folder on the web or the phone.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

Does it show up in a gmail folder? If so the only way I know is if you have a mac you would just drag them to the icloud folder. Haven't found a way to save to a folder on the web or the phone.

They would be in the Gmail Notes folder. From there they could be shared back to iCloud Notes.

anon(5140585)

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

I am not sure about the exporting of Gmail's notes, but I believe you will still need an iCloud email address to sync iOS notes to iCloud.

Most people never setup an iCloud email address, they tend to use their other email addresses from yahoo, gmail, outlook, etc? as their Apple ID.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I am not sure about the exporting of Gmail's notes, but I believe you will still need an iCloud email address to sync iOS notes to iCloud.

Most people never setup an iCloud email address, they tend to use their other email addresses from yahoo, gmail, outlook, etc? as their Apple ID.

You just need to toggle Notes on in iCloud. Settings >iCloud > Toggle Notes on.
In mail, use the share sheet to share Gmail Notes to the iCloud notes in the Notes app.

AugustVance

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I ran into the same problem as the OP. OP, the only way I could seem to do it (and probably not what you are wanting to read) is to manually copy and paste all the notes from the gmail folder to the new icloud folder. You dont need a new icloud email address all you need to make sure is that you notes on in the icloud settings in the settings.app! There may be a way to export then import, but I personally could not find a way.

anon(5140585)

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
You dont need a new icloud email address all you need to make sure is that you notes on in the icloud settings in the settings.app!

In iOS 8.4, when you toggle on Notes it prompts to create an Apple iCloud email address, so they will only "sync" if you are using an Apple email address. Did this change in iOS 9?

ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1448203369.106320.jpg

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2