How do we determine what apps are in notification center???

raist3001

May 6, 2015
Visit site
The apps listed in Notification Center are supposed to tell me the Notifications style I choose, EX: badges, sounds alerts, etc.

However, when you enter an app from the Notification Center, and turn on SHOW IN NOTIFICATION CENTER, this option does not appear next to your Notification Style (SOUNDS, BANNERS) when you return to the Notification screen.
How does one tell which apps are IN notification center?

This was so simple with iOS8 since there was a heading labeled INCLUDE and DO NOT INCLUDE.
This way I always knew what was included in notification center and what was not included.
This is missing in iOS9. The only way to tell as far as I can see is by going into each app and checking to see if SHOW IN NOTIFICATION CENTER has been turned on. Not very user friendly at all.

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
You are mostly correct. The loss of the separation of include and do not include is a step down in usefulness. However, you do not have to enter each one in the list. Just look at the list. If it's in the Notification Center, the listing will show you what kind of notifications are enabled for each app and if it's not, it'll say "off".

raist3001

May 6, 2015
Visit site
You are correct in that the app will show me a list of the notifications I chose. It does not however tell me that the app is in notification center. And if the app says off, this just means that I have chosen not to configure the app with any notifications. As a matter of fact, if all I choose for any app is to show in notification, and turn off all other notifications, when you return to the notification screen, the app will show nothing as selected.

The app should tell you with a glance that it is in notification center like it does for badges, sounds, banners etc.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
The apps in and of themselves do not appear in the Notifications Center. Only the notifications from the configured apps will appear. The apps listed in the Notifications "settings" are the ones that are installed and can be configured to show "notifications" in the Notifications Center.

raist3001

May 6, 2015
Visit site
image.jpg

I must be missing something. No matter how you explain it, notifications does not tell you which apps you have selected to be INCLUDED in notification center. Look at the image I included. Look at the app store app. Is this app in notification center?

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
View attachment 97200

I must be missing something. No matter how you explain it, notifications does not tell you which apps you have selected to be INCLUDED in notification center. Look at the image I included. Look at the app store app. Is this app in notification center?

No. The App Store app is NOT and will NOT be in the "Notification Center". As depicted in your screenshot, a banner will appear in the Notification Center when you receive an App Store notification. Furthermore, you will see a red notification badge on the App Store icon.

raist3001

May 6, 2015
Visit site
You are wrong. The app store is configured to show in Notification Center. But since there is no way to know this unless you enter the app, you wouldn't know, and thus you were wrong.

Now, if I turn off show in notification center, and go back to the notifications screen, you will still only see badges and sounds. At this point I will receive notifications as badges over the app on the home screen, and banners on the hone screen. I will see nothing in notification center.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
You are wrong. The app store is configured to show in Notification Center. But since there is no way to know this unless you enter the app, you wouldn't know, and thus you were wrong.

Now, if I turn off show in notification center, and go back to the notifications screen, you will still only see badges and sounds. At this point I will receive notifications as badges over the app on the home screen, and banners on the hone screen. I will see nothing in notification center.

Okay.

raist3001

May 6, 2015
Visit site
This is easily reproducible. Go into any app in notifications and configure the SHOW IN NOTIFICATION CENTER on.
Go back to the notification screen. Look at the app you just configured. How do you know it is configured to SHOW in notification center? You don't. Not like you did in iOS8 where you had the INCLUDE and DO NOT INCLUDE.

SwitchBeach

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
You obviously have to open the Notification setting for each app to determine if "Show in Notification Center" is enabled for that app. Pretty simple.

The "list" does not show that information.

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
How about this:

Open the Notification Center itself (pull down from the top of the screen). Scroll to the bottom and tap "Edit".

SwitchBeach

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
I don't have an "Edit" at the bottom of my Notification Center.

There's one at the bottom of the Today Screen but that's for Widgets on the Today screen.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
This is easily reproducible. Go into any app in notifications and configure the SHOW IN NOTIFICATION CENTER on.
Go back to the notification screen. Look at the app you just configured. How do you know it is configured to SHOW in notification center? You don't. Not like you did in iOS8 where you had the INCLUDE and DO NOT INCLUDE.

When a notification is put out it will show on the "notifications" screen. But not before. If it's set to show there and they have a notification, it will be there when it's supposed to be. Like these.
bc86c713cdee85518b1b7898840edc84.jpg

Include and Do Not Include are the widgets, not notifications.
e8a8bd44d7f48b79b6a3a83bba1e87a1.jpg

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
When a notification is put out it will show on the "notifications" screen. But not before. If it's set to show there and they have a notification, it will be there when it's supposed to be. Like these.
//images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/03/bc86c713cdee85518b1b7898840edc84.jpg

//images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/03/e8a8bd44d7f48b79b6a3a83bba1e87a1.jpg

If you refer to the apps in Settings > Notifications, then yes, they no longer show "Do Not Include" at the bottom of the list. But those not "off" should be set to show on the Notification Center screen by default unless you toggle it off manually.

raist3001

May 6, 2015
Visit site
You obviously have to open the Notification setting for each app to determine if "Show in Notification Center" is enabled for that app. Pretty simple.

The "list" does not show that information.

How is this pretty simple? If I have 20 apps in notification, and I want to know at a glance what I have configured for show in notification, it is anything but simple to determine. Going into each app is not as user friendly as it was in iOS 8.

raist3001

May 6, 2015
Visit site
//images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/03/bc86c713cdee85518b1b7898840edc84.jpg

//images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/03/e8a8bd44d7f48b79b6a3a83bba1e87a1.jpg

I am not debating how notifications work in notification center, rather how one determines which apps are in notification center at a glance like you could in iOS8. In iOS9 it is anything but simple. There is just no way to tell without having to go into each app in notifications. My point being that is seems very un apple like to remove functionality and replace it with a much less simpler way.

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
How is this pretty simple? If I have 20 apps in notification, and I want to know at a glance what I have configured for show in notification, it is anything but simple to determine. Going into each app is not as user friendly as it was in iOS 8.
Seriously how often do you fool around with in the Notifications menu anyhow? I'm sure for most users it's a set it and forget it type of deal. I know when, and which apps I no longer wish to see in the Notification Center, and I also believe you're given the choice of seeing notifications when installing a new app as well, so how is this a big deal again?

KAY ATCHISON

Nov 13, 2014
Visit site
I have a question do you have to use the default notification sound ? Sometimes I don't get notification sound if I use default yes if I choose sometimes no sound

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice